Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's here. the Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable is......in pieces on my floor. beautiful pieces i might add. i'm taking a break after my unpacking efforts so i thought i should post some pictures. most of the pieces are still wrapped up, but i need to rest. a week ago i helped move my 200 pound Saskia to it's new home. down 2 flights of stairs. then last Monday a friend and i moved my -2- sold Studer A-820's to the crating company. and i'm officially old. so i'm pacing myself tonight to reach the finish line. i want to be playing music on the T1 before i call it a night.
Eso 1 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 2 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
in quick order, the T1 is now assembled, power supply installed and hooked up, and the T1 is ready for the arm to be installed.

Picture one shows the space above waiting for the G1X Master Clock in a few weeks. Picture 2 shows the power supply connection on the back of the turntable motor case, then along side of the power supply connection is the BNC input for the Master Clock.

picture 5 shows the markings on the spindle and platter that have to be aligned when the platter is installed.

Eso 9 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 10 (1 of 1).jpg
Eso 5 (1 of 1).jpg

Eso 4 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 6 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 7 (1 of 1).jpg Eso 8 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i got music. plugged it in, pressed play......the speed readout took a minute to get to 33.3.

and with a semi-cowboy set-up on a strange to me arm, grabbed a cheap phono cable, and zero tweaking of the suspension or speed, some really fine sounding music. powerful, flowing music. there is a push and boggie factor that carries me along. tried the 1:50 silver EMIA SUT with the Koetsu Azule Platinum but that was way too much, it's gliding along free and easy with the 1:15 silver EMIA.

time to just listen. i have packing laying everywhere but no worries.

added note #1-----this is next level stuff i'm hearing. but it's a new arm and a new to me cartridge, so i can't really know what is doing what. but the energy and power is staggering. much more force and intent in the music.

Eso 11 (1 of 1).jpg
Eso 12 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Looks awesome Mike! Congratulations to your new beautiful turntable.

Remember?: We audiophiles never get older than 25… only our toys get better trough the years.

Keep it up Mike, you’re doing great ;) !

All the best

/ Johan

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Mike! It looks wonderful!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Nice table. I watched a Howard Kneller video on the table. Interesting drive system.
What do you mean took a minute to get to speed.
Your saying it has power, push, buggy. Do you know how much slip the motor to the platter has.
How stable is the rotation speed?
Are you using the "Stock" arm?
What's the device over the record. Anti static device?
So many questions. Inquiring minds want to know.
I also see its not on any sort of active vibration control. Do you not use those under TT now?
Rex

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Is this considered a DD, or some new category?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
congrats with nice tt
the Ikeda might contribute to that listening impression as well
at least what I experienced in my setup

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats mike

From this angle it looks almost like it has a gear wheel at the bottom of the platter.
May be the controller unit in the front has a pinion to drive the platter , im just guessing here

1678865305164.png

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wheel of Cheese

37041E1F-B292-4914-A311-A73BB5AEF064.jpeg

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Congratulations Mike! Looking forward to your updates here. I think Michael Fremer's review will be out in the next couple of months. I believe he is very impressed.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks amazing Mike. very envious.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Is this considered a DD, or some new category?
it's an idler, on steroid's. a magnetic rim drive specifically.

the magnetic wheel is driving the ring of teeth at the bottom of the outside of the platter, without touching them.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Very curious as to whether it at least superficially resembles the sound of your previous idler Saskia.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations! I may miss it. Is the tonearm also from Esoteric?
thank you.

the TA-9D tonearm is is a 'special' version of the Ikeda IT-345CR1 9". the arm wand appears to be stainless, the rest appears to be aluminum. i am using the CS Port head shell since the Esoteric/Ikeda head shell pin sockets were too small to work with the Koetsu Azule Platinum cartridge pins.

my first impression is that this arm has plenty of energy, bass heft and space, but maybe is not the last word in detail. although right now listening to an orchestral piece and the arm/cart is sure sorting out things at a very high level. nothing congealed or lacking textures. but might my others arms do it better?

no way to judge that until i get my other arms on board. this arm and the Koetsu stone body seem like a very synergistic match. that was in mind when i choose the cartridge.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing