Esoteric: much more than just an SACD player?

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Why do we only or heavily discuss Esoteric as a SACD player of choice?
Can we move the needle on these discussions?
I am considering purchase of an Esoteric K07Xs.
I see it as three key functions:
1. Red book standard CD player
2. USB/other connections as a Digital player
3. Occasional SACD player

Considering it’s beautiful reproduction capabilities I’m sure I’ll get the same results with streaming Tidal via USB or other connections or simply playing standard cd and occasionally hitting up an SACD.

Second Esoteric I’m considering is the integrated stereo amplifier the F07. Based on its specs I wonder how this cf the PassLabs XA25 as a power amp, and how I can combine it with the K07Xs above, what of the DAC option, redundancy, and performance against the PassLabs.

I’m looking at simplifying and yet upgrading at the same step.

Currently I run an Oppo103D (CD/SACD/digital) as source into a PerfectWave DAC (Tidal/Full MQA) into the PassLabs XA25.

I see the Esoteric as a significant source upgrade covering disc and digital. And even providing MM/MC phonostage too from the F07...

Your thoughts and especially, experiences

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I can only comment on the CD players, having gone a different route with my amplification.
Esoteric CD players are superbly built, perform flawlessly and you always have the clock upgrade option which in my experience is akin to bringing everything into even sharper focus.
Good luck with your auditions.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I can only comment on the CD players, having gone a different route with my amplification.
Esoteric CD players are superbly built, perform flawlessly and you always have the clock upgrade option which in my experience is akin to bringing everything into even sharper focus.
Good luck with your auditions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Nemal1. I wish I could audition but it’s simply not possible. Anyway unless you can do it in your own room and system it’s always an approximation.

I especially appreciate your additional comments on the clock. I’ve so far held that as a luxury addition.

As for amplification, the review I read compared the Integrated amp F05 favorably with the PassLabs 160 series. I’m currently running the baby XA25 so this seems a viable alternative too.

I can see an all Esoteric system as a very feasible quality approach. Maybe three units: the integrated amp and two sources: the network player and the xs model cd player.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
The same for me. I can only comment on the "player" side of Esoteric. I love my K-01X in my system. I eventually plan to use the connection capability with another external source. I switched out my Oppo BDP-105 to the above mentioned unit. I used the same Transparent interconnects and power cables. It was a major change in presentation to put it mildly.

Reactions: Stump

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
The same for me. I can only comment on the "player" side of Esoteric. I love my K-01X in my system. I eventually plan to use the connection capability with another external source. I switched out my Oppo BDP-105 to the above mentioned unit. I used the same Transparent interconnects and power cables. It was a major change in presentation to put it mildly.
Great share thanks. Are you using it to stream at all?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Regarding connectivity, a small inconvenience using both the balanced and se outputs mean you need to select via the menu options (balanced to my pre, se to my stax 8000 headphone amp) where my previous accuphase set up has both “on” with no switching required.
I’ve tried a usb release of some musicians I know and it was sublime without knowing the quality of the recording material etc.
Not tried anything else though.
Personally, I don’t think you can go far wrong with the majority of the suggestions, my advice is purely on experience owning some of your options.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I checked the Grandioso K1 (33kg) and I see no multichannel XLR balanced and tiffany RCA unbalanced outputs...7.1 channels. I also see no HDMI inputs and outputs.
It is superbly built, extremely elegant design, plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and SACD hybrid stereo discs.

I didn't see a USB 3.1 port. Can it stream ultra high resolution audio files?

How much does it cost? $27,000 USD.

Edit: Yes it has a USB port, so you can connect a music streamer or your computer/MAC.
Esoteric K-07X / $6,000 list

Last edited:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Reactions: Forte

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
So I’m now at three possibilities
1. K03Xs- list at USD$10k - new gen technology third top tier unit
2. K07Xs- list at USD$6930 lowest tier tech of the new generation
3. K03X-list at USD$6750 - old model old tech great previous gen unit

Which would you take and why?

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
So I’m now at three possibilities
1. K03Xs- list at USD$10k - new gen technology third top tier unit
2. K07Xs- list at USD$6930 lowest tier tech of the new generation
3. K03X-list at USD$6750 - old model old tech great previous gen unit

Which would you take and why?

Ok decision taken. Great find for a reduced price...number 1 above no compromise K03Xs. Due in the New Year after internal EMI RFI upgrading @The Upgrade Company. Wonderful Christmas New Year present for my system.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I had a K01 and returned it. Too dry and analytical for my tastes. Also had a Dcs Puccini with clock. Totally uninvolving / boring. Sold it. Still have my Cary 306 SACD but decided to try a Luxman D-06U. We'll see.

Good luck John. I hope it works in your system. They are, from everything I've heard talking with various folks, very system sensitive.

One other observation. When I mention my two previous, unsuccessful auditions to audio folks, I'm told the following. Either A) Dcs is way over hyped or B) Esoteric is way over hyped or C) it is very system dependant. Knowing many folks who like one or the other, I'm going with system synergy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Each to their own taste.
I’ve found my arc electronics a good synergistic compliment to the esoteric CD player I use.

I loved the previous accuphase players I owned, and it was availability (where I was employed at the time) and aesthetics which prompted me to change.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Congrats on your new K03xs ... incredible unit and I think you'll really enjoy it. It was quite a step up from the other units you were considering. I've been enjoying my K01xs the past several months. These new gen players really are incredible.

George

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I had a K01 and returned it. Too dry and analytical for my tastes. Also had a Dcs Puccini with clock. Totally uninvolving / boring. Sold it. Still have my Cary 306 SACD but decided to try a Luxman D-06U. We'll see.

Good luck John. I hope it works in your system. They are, from everything I've heard talking with various folks, very system sensitive.

One other observation. When I mention my two previous, unsuccessful auditions to audio folks, I'm told the following. Either A) Dcs is way over hyped or B) Esoteric is way over hyped or C) it is very system dependant. Knowing many folks who like one or the other, I'm going with system synergy.
@dudeabides
Did you go ahead with the Luxman D06u? Funnily enough I purchased a D06u and have it in my set up in Australia. It sounds good but I’m sure it would be even better in my master system. I’ve sold the K03Xs SE. And have no direct replacement other than two Blu ray players. Not the same of course.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi John,

I've had the Luxman going on two years and change. No want / need for another CDP. Or any other equipment in my system for that matter.

Gordon

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing