Esoteric PCMM mode

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Can anyone share experience for new Esoteric "Master Sound Discrete DAC" PCM mode setting?
Sound characteristics and Sound curve for M1,M2 and M3 mode
The Esoteric does not seem to have a detailed description of each mode like DCS.
Thanks

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
After playing around a bit, I have settled on 8X upsampling (better sound stage depth) and the M1 filter (better string/piano tone to my ears). I also settled on the F1 filter for DSD. I started with 4X and M2. The 4X/M2 may be kinder to older bright recordings. I have a K-01XD and listen to mostly classical, some jazz.

I saw somewhere that Esoteric decided not to publish detail on their new discrete DAC filter settings, believing that too many were obsessing over the technical info and not enough over the resulting sound.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have K-01XD and for PCMM setting, I usually switch between 4fs-8fs/M1 and lately I have found 8fs/M2 setting very musical. I don't do DSD much, but when I do, I use f1 filter.

The esoteric K-01XD manual states this:
"M1 is the ESOTERIC reference mode.
The operation frequency of the ?? modulator becomes progressively lower in order from M1 to M2 to M3.
The replacement amount of the randomization algorithm increases progressively in order from M1 to M2 to M3.
Select the sound setting you prefer."
"A digital filter is used. F1, F2 and F3 are digital filters with different frequency responses. The cutoff frequency becomes progressively lower from F1 to F2 to F3."

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I only do M1 on my N-01XD. When I initially got it, I tried M2 and M3, but I kept going back to M1. It’s more dynamic and “faster” to my ears.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
M1 is very dynamic and bit forward: Most of my listening is in 4fs/m1. I have found 16 fs/M3 throw a good soundstage and bit more relaxed. Use this setting for chill music. Very good options that esoteric has to tailor your mood and change in dynamics.

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
M1 is very dynamic and bit forward: Most of my listening is in 4fs/m1. I have found 16 fs/M3 throw a good soundstage and bit more relaxed. Use this setting for chill music. Very good options that esoteric has to tailor your mood and change in dynamics.
RaChiK,
What is your choice in digital filter F1, F2 and F3?
Thanks

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
It gets very intriguing to try out on high quality recordings. As you go up in reference quality it gets really interesting.

One of the discs that I recently purchased (attached pic) was used by my trusted Esoteric tech to conduct the final setup. He adjusted on several combinations, which we then both agreed on. The preferred settings of choice were made on mode 1 with filter 2, which was set to plus 8x sampling, I think... somewhere thereabouts.

However, on most standard CDs we found the default settings to be just about right. It could vary obviously from each recording but when this happens, you'll be adjusting too often.

As long as it just sounds right, not too much of anything, speed and agility in bass, silky extended highs, and a very palpable midrange that's glorious to listen to. Once those modes and filters are set properly, and you get it right, wow it just sounds superb!

Many non-Esoteric users don't know these capabilities and so they end up with very mediocre results... Well their loss I guess.

Sorry, forgot to mention on PCM settings, he used digital files as well from both mediums, stored on USB and the other directly from his pc. On certain files the sampling rate was set quite high with mode2 filter 3. Although the dynamics were superb, it was a bit too forward for me, so we toned down the settings as suggested. It's really mind boggling how Esoteric gets all these features on board, and yet doesn't interfere with the quality of performance, rather improves it to great lengths. This is real value!

I'm starting to discover their true potential, one mighty fine work of art!

Cheers to Esoteric digital playback systems!
Enjoy those fine tunes! Big woof!
RJ

Attachments

• 20210417_030947.jpg
    20210417_030947.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I use F1 filter for DSD. Honestly not much of difference in F filters in my opinion. Again, I have not spent a lot of time with DSD F filters to make a meaningful suggestion. I will try in the next few weeks and see if there is any big difference. I will also try with "original" (without upsampling) and M1 filter (which is default) and see how this sounds.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes mate, that's pretty much it.

You have to spend quite a bit of time trying out which one gives you the perfect balance, just like focusing a camera lense. Once it falls into shape, the frame is easy to put together.

It took us about 3-4 days of trial, various discs were used as well as digital files high res. The idea is not to get too caught up in perfection simply because it's never perfect. There are many audiophile recordings that aren't that great either. Adjusting all the time can be tedious, it's the finer balance that's the purity aspect, and trust your ears!

Cheers, let us know your findings.
Best, RJ

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Yes mate, that's pretty much it.

You have to spend quite a bit of time trying out which one gives you the perfect balance, just like focusing a camera lense. Once it falls into shape, the frame is easy to put together.

It took us about 3-4 days of trial, various discs were used as well as digital files high res. The idea is not to get too caught up in perfection simply because it's never perfect. There are many audiophile recordings that aren't that great either. Adjusting all the time can be tedious, it's the finer balance that's the purity aspect, and trust your ears!

Cheers, let us know your findings.
Best, RJ
Sorry, I forgot about this post for a while. After spending sometime with different DSD filters, I found F1 filter to be better in my system. But again, most of my listening is M1/4fs and am content with it.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice work on those settings RaChik.

It takes a while to find the sweet spot because there's an array of settings to choose from, sometimes it can be overwhelming. At first I noticed, it does sound a bit thin within those first few tracks. After the initial adjustments are made, it's much easier to ascertain LF detail and upper mids. I found the majority of freq spec spot on in terms of mids&highs, so that part was fine. For me it was getting that upper midrange to LF detail more focused. I guess a lot of it also has to do with the rest of your gear, and not just the Eso unit itself.

On LF detail, with the right selection on filters and playback modes, there is a point where it will match / blend well towards the most natural form of reproduced music. Afterall, that's what it's all about "reproduced music" basically nothing else!

The key is not to overdo it. I was at stage where I had over-sampled too much. I was too focused merely on a few selections, not the wider choice or artists I'm used to. So at the end with careful attention on which ones were well recorded, I was then able to sort out that sampling feature.

Most of the time the default settings are ok but that slight adjustment gives it perfect clarity. Just like a prism, every colour shines through brilliantly! Once that's done, just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!

Cheers RaChik, absolutely delighted to hear about your findings, enjoy mate.
WOOF! RJ

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
After playing around a bit, I have settled on 8X upsampling (better sound stage depth) and the M1 filter (better string/piano tone to my ears). I also settled on the F1 filter for DSD. I started with 4X and M2. The 4X/M2 may be kinder to older bright recordings. I have a K-01XD and listen to mostly classical, some jazz.

I saw somewhere that Esoteric decided not to publish detail on their new discrete DAC filter settings, believing that too many were obsessing over the technical info and not enough over the resulting sound.
It's six months later, and I've 'evolved' to M1/2X for PCMM and no filter for DSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I am just thinking out loud. Will it make more sense to add a external esoteric master clock (G1 or G02x) or upgrade to K1X. Anybody had long sessions with either of them (with and without clocks and PS1) ?. Anybody heard D1 X ?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey RaChik,

Haven't heard all of them but two more models in their top of the line with the Clock and without, was an absolute marvel!

At that level, I was wondering what on earth could possibly be better? How much more of an improvement is it, and can the extra spend be justified? Then when I did audition the comparison between the two top line units and clock (G01x) my findings were basically based on two points:
1. The higher up in models, you get incremental improvements, such as more rigid power supplies, further stability in the transport mech, further features in settings (filters, playback modes & upsampling) and much quieter mechanisms/motors. Speaking of incremental, maybe I put it too lightly because they are certainly not incremental but rather definite improvements that only the person buying can justify, based on their finances and improvement criteria.

2. My personal benchmark of improvement has to be at least 35 - 40% for me to justify it. I will accept 30% as bear minimum, otherwise I will not engage in such expenditure. The Clock meets and surpasses that personal benchmark!

The only problem for me, and may not be an issue for you, is that down unda the G01x goes for around 20grand $AUD. That's nearly 4 times the price I paid for the K07-Xs. This is just a single Clock we're talking about. When I did get the opportunity for a home trial, I really wasn't expecting anything that significant but Oh My! What a fine piece of machinery, it's superb!

Now, the only thing I need to justify with the Mrs is that this so called 40% in improvement can be heard very very clearly... however she doesn't feel the dire need for it! On scale of 9/10, she's usually right, plus everything sounds fantastic until you do actually try one of those clocks. So for now, trying to keep out of the dog house..., and just settling in with the first unit I've got from Eso, I guess this is something that I'm extremely pleased with. That G01x is definitely on my radar, and I'll revisit the thought again sometime later.

Perhaps by then, Eso may have even introduced a new Clock, who knows. One thing for sure is, those Eso techs really know how to shift gears in terms of performance it's similar to a top tier Lexus that you will be very pleased with... until you actually drive a Lambo that you will be thrilled with! Both very pleasurable to drive and own but one of them certainly has the edge.

I guess that's why the G01x costs so much.
There's one chap here who actually owns the monoblock DACs. We've been trying to arrange a visit but this covid lockdown that we're still in is not helping. So I'll leave that as well for later but just to experience this sort of gear in well laid out systems, is always a learning curve for me. Not that I'm ever going to purchase these one day...

Others experiences may obviously vary, and some owners will tell you that upgrading to the K01XD or K1X is the way to go, and it certainly is!
Even at that level, adding the external Clock just shifts the whole dimension, just like those paddle shifters in those super cars, it's the thrill and the extra edge that's comes into play.

Cheers mate, let us know how it goes and what you decide on. I'm sure with a few trials you'll be able to figure out what I'm referring to.
Best, RJ
Oh! And enjoy those fine tunes!

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
There is no limit to how far up you can climb on esoteric ladder, something like CH precision ladder. But I am impressed with esoteric, that even with K-01XD, which stands in the middle (compared to K1X, D1X up there), the sound is so pristine. I am bit on the fence, similar to you, trying to justify the extra cost (pretty expensive). My other concern with the clock is how much they depreciate, especially when esoteric tries to release new clocks pretty soon.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
There is no limit to how far up you can climb on esoteric ladder, something like CH precision ladder. But I am impressed with esoteric, that even with K-01XD, which stands in the middle (compared to K1X, D1X up there), the sound is so pristine. I am bit on the fence, similar to you, trying to justify the extra cost (pretty expensive). My other concern with the clock is how much they depreciate, especially when esoteric tries to release new clocks pretty soon.
I am K-01XD owner (previously K-03X). This is a fine unit. My question: add a pricey Esoteric clock or trade up to a K1X for a comparable outlay? Interested in others' experiences here.

But a third alternative would be a Cybershaft (or maybe Mutec) clock at a fraction of the Esoteric top clock price, where depreciation wouldn't be a big concern. These are reputedly very fine clocks. I am leaning toward a Cybershaft solution.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My K-01xd will be with me by the end of November to go with my G-01x clock.There are currently no plans to release a clock to succeed this one, based on my dealers comments received from Esoteric.
I owned their predecessors and the addition of the (at the time) G-01 was a marked improvement, made even better when using their Me cable.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My K-01xd will be with me by the end of November to go with my G-01x clock.There are currently no plans to release a clock to succeed this one, based on my dealers comments received from Esoteric.
I owned their predecessors and the addition of the (at the time) G-01 was a marked improvement, made even better when using their Me cable.
That’s good news and a stunning player.congratulations on it.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Thanks very much. My speakers will be arriving at the same time after a 6 month wait. All I can do at present is listen vinyl on headphones. There are worse things to have to endure haha

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have ordered for Esoteric G-02X master clock to be used with my K-01XD. Have lot of hopes. Lets see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing