Esoteric PCMM mode

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
You will notice a more focused sound and the biggest difference will be if you take it out again and miss the large improvement the external clock adds. I found this out when I sold my original g-01

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one RaChik,

That will certainly make a positive difference one way or the other. I've tried the G01X and it was a remarkable experience. At first I didn't think what they could possibly improve on further, even at this high level of refinement. This was something I wasn't willing to try thinking it was just another highend gimmick but when I finally got the chance, oh boy was I glad!

Wasn't aware that another version, G02X is out... must be further improved, I don't know. I'm sure with either one you'll find it a revelation.

Let us know your thoughts, and in what areas you find the most improvement. Congrats again.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
The G-02x is a lower cost clock without the rubidium used in the G-01x. It’s about 60% of the cost. Haven’t heard this one to comment further.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Nice one RaChik,

That will certainly make a positive difference one way or the other. I've tried the G01X and it was a remarkable experience. At first I didn't think what they could possibly improve on further, even at this high level of refinement. This was something I wasn't willing to try thinking it was just another highend gimmick but when I finally got the chance, oh boy was I glad!

Wasn't aware that another version, G02X is out... must be further improved, I don't know. I'm sure with either one you'll find it a revelation.

Let us know your thoughts, and in what areas you find the most improvement. Congrats again.
RJ
I have been using Esoteric K-01XD with G-02X master clock since past 3-4 days. The improvement is definitely not subtle. It is not going to make jaw dropping change: that is not what it is meant. Simple way of summarizing is that it makes good change in every spectrum: Adds a little sparkle to highs, little sweetness in the mids and the lows are more deep, controlled and tight. There was increase in the soundstage (vertical more than wide). A sense of air around instruments also makes this very special. It makes your DAC get better by at least 15-20%. I have not heard K1X but I was told by dealer that K1X was better than K-01XD + G-02X. Not sure about K-01XD + G-01X (More expensive masterclock) compared to K1X.

Of note, I am using same masterclock with aurender N20 and the improvement is big. I am waiting on new masterclock BNC cables to arrive to use it with etheregen switch and SOTM Snh-10g.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sounds like a great combo Rachik!
In fact a good mate has just upgraded to the K03XD and uses a clock as well, I think the G1X or something. He's happy as! I can certainly imagine...

I've also tried the G02x clock and it was a remarkable level of resolution and detail. Even on its own it's mighty fine, I couldn't fault it, and there's nothing really more that I'm after. Obviously down the line I'll probably change to a XD series but for now I'm very pleased with what this is capable of at this current level.
You will always find good improvements when adding the clock, there's no doubt.

The engineers at Eso team have certainly done their research, and I can see that in every model that is offered now, the improvements are quite significant. It's definitely a wonderful thing!

Good stuff RaChik, keep us posted on your findings and let us know which combination you end up with.
RJ

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
finally got my K01xd and G01x clock and after just a couple of hours a noticeable improvement over their predecessors.

at present I’m just usung the default settings. Any recommendations for filters and/or upsampling whilst I’m getting used to the new rig.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
finally got my K01xd and G01x clock and after just a couple of hours a noticeable improvement over their predecessors.

at present I’m just usung the default settings. Any recommendations for filters and/or upsampling whilst I’m getting used to the new rig.
Now that's outstanding! Pretty much set for life.
Well done on the K01XD and the G01x, that's their top of the line clock I believe. Great stuff!
Keep us updated on how it all goes...

As for settings, playback mode and filters are concerned, I believe this is a personal preference. One of those settings may not suit other's tastes, and it all depends on your music selection and genre. On the upsampling settings though, that's if you're using these, I've found the standard 4x to be most suited to what I mostly listen to, which is jazz, vocals and strings 99.9% of the time. Upsampling to 8x and over towards 16x didn't sound that natural compared to lower sampling, to me at least.

Again you would obviously have to run through a few of these to find your best match.

At the end of the day, the idea is to get it right to about that upper 90% range, where most of your music will be flawless. There will be a minor percentage that requires adjustments but this is where it can get annoying... best is to set and forget!

Just my 50cts worth.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes! The XD series is simply marvellous!
Woofty woof! RJ

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Hi RJ, really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
I was planning on buying the grandioso equivalents but head ruled heart, plus I have the E-02 phono stage which all matches well.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017

I also have a K-01XD and listen mostly to classical, a little jazz. I have been all over the map on settings and recently went to a Tchaikovsky/Beethoven concert to re-acquaint my ears with what real music sounds like. (Going again tonight on Beethoven's birthday!) Currently for PCM, I have the M1 filter/no up-conversion (the default), and the F1 filter for DSD.
I know you'll enjoy your new Esoterics. I'm considering getting a Cybershaft clock for mine.

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I found M1 filter with 4 x upsample the best. That is what I listen to 99% of time with. Sometime 8 x works, but as mentioned, they don't sound natural then. F1 filter for DSD is best I found too.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I found M1 filter with 4 x upsample the best. That is what I listen to 99% of time with. Sometime 8 x works, but as mentioned, they don't sound natural then. F1 filter for DSD is best I found too.
M1/2X or 4X would be my second choice, so we're fairly close.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, that would be just about right! Once you've discovered the best match / settings overall, that level of synergy is simply supreme! Adjust a little here and there just to accommodate one file or a Disc, and you'll need to reset things again... merry-go-round factor. Definitely don't want to go there!
The most natural tonality and immersive sound will hit you at that finer point. Once it's achieved, that's it! However, it does take a while to find that preferred setting in playback mode. I guess at this level it's all worth it.

Just listening to Coskun Karademir and Mahsa Vahdat- Endless Path on Kalan label. The depth in soundstage, delicate tones, dynamics, voice, instrument separation and sheer realism is unbelievable! This is a real holy moly, woofty woof'n experience, Superb! (with a capital S)
Check it out if anyone may like this sort of music performed by Turkish musicians at their supremacy. The emotional experience is very very fine!

RJ

Attachments

• 20211218_012735.jpg
    20211218_012735.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Thanks again for your suggestions. Hopefully a longer session this weekend, still via my stax until my speakers arrive in the next few weeks but will give me a good idea of where I want the sound to be.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Yes, that would be just about right! Once you've discovered the best match / settings overall, that level of synergy is simply supreme! Adjust a little here and there just to accommodate one file or a Disc, and you'll need to reset things again... merry-go-round factor. Definitely don't want to go there!
The most natural tonality and immersive sound will hit you at that finer point. Once it's achieved, that's it! However, it does take a while to find that preferred setting in playback mode. I guess at this level it's all worth it.
Right on, brother.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing