Esoteric RZ-1 Integrated

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Shortly after selling my Vandersteen 5As I shipped my VTL TL-7.5 off to have the series III update performed. When my dealer loaned me the MG-10s he also provided me with an Esoteric RZ-1 integrated to take over front-end duties.

As with the MG-10s my expectations weren't especially high, but I knew that the RZ-1 had gotten some good reviews and I was happy to have anything high quality with which to play some music.

Upon first reading about the RZ-1 it struck me as a Swiss Army Knife with lots of features packed into a small chassis, but with little chance of any one of those features being really exceptional. I've had the high-end audio beer-goggles on for so long now the thought of a $6000 do-everything component seems way too good to be true.

What is it?

The RZ-1 is a 100Wpc integrated in a small form factor case (to my eyes it's LINN-sized). The entire case is brushed aluminum and the face plate is a very nicely finished, curved, machined block of aluminum. It's small (you can pull specs from the link below) and relatively lightweight.

Around back there are two WBT binding posts for speaker connections, two sets of RCA line-level inputs, and three digital inputs.

... but wait, there's more....

Up front there are buttons for power, volume, and input selection as well as a centrally-located display. Mounted above the display is a slot-loading CD drive which will play standard redbook CDs as well as SACDs.

The digital inputs on the back panel include RCA, TOSLINK, and USB and will accept 24/192 from any device that can provide it. All three inputs are selectable so you can have up to 3 external digital sources connected.

... and if you buy now ....

The two stereo RCA inputs in back can be configured as standard line level inputs or you can switch in a MM phono stage on the second input.

So to sum up you get:

1) 100 Wpc integrated
2) Built-in CD / SACD support
3) 3 24/192 digital inputs
4) 2 line level inputs
5) Built-in MM phono stage
6) The typical Esoteric 15lb remote (with far too many buttons)
7) Switchable digital filters
8) Sleep timer
9) Impeccable industrial design and casework

All for the bargain price of $6000.00!

http://esoteric.teac.com/amplifiers_&_preamps/rz-1/

If it sounds good, it's not a bad deal....

Setup & Associated Components

I placed the RZ-1 into my rack and cabled it up as follows:

Esoteric MG-10 speakers via Kimber Kwik-12
Wadia S7i with Transparent Music Link Ultra MM
VTL TP-6.5 into second line level input via Music Link Ultra
Cullen-modified Sonos ZP-90 (24/96) via S/PDIF (RCA)

I had planned to spin some records via the VTL phono pre (I don't have an MM cartridge), but I simply haven't gotten around to it.

Setup is very straightforward and I only needed to consult the manual once in order to figure out how to configure the second input as line level rather than phono.

Usage

This is a seriously easy product to use. All of the controls are straightforward and it behaves exactly as expected. Input selection is a toggle (just keep pressing the button until you get the one you want) and the rest is pretty typical. I do have three complaints, though:

1) I don't like slot-loading CD drives, especially in audio. I understand that it makes sense in this application, but there have been a couple of times in which the loading mechanism has gotten confused and tried to push the disc out as I was trying to insert it. There have also been a couple of cases in which the drive simply didn't want to suck the disc all the way in.

2) Also with respect to the drive... it's a bit noisy. In my room my equipment rack is about 3' to the right of my chair and the RZ-1 is at ear level. I can hear the drive ticking and chirping while a disc is playing and this is a bit annoying during quiet passages. I doubt that I would hear it if the RZ-1 were situated between the speakers.

3) I'm not a fan of Esoteric's remote button layout as it doesn't make a lot of sense logically. The track skip buttons are small and off to one side so I constantly find myself having to look at the remote to select various functions. For the cool-looking industrial design of the RZ-1 itself I was hoping for a remote that looked more the part. This is a minor issue, but annoying nonetheless.

None of these issues are major in the grand scheme of things and aside from acknowledging their existence they haven't detracted from my enjoyment.

The Sound

I have no way of comparing the RZ-1 to anything else as I don't have a complete front end right now. Rather than try and compare it to my personal reference (VTL TL-7.5 / VTL MB-450) I decided to simply experience it in its own right.

As an amplifier it's not going to break any records for power delivery nor is it going to be anyone's reference component. I'd imagine it being most at-home with a relatively lightweight speaker like the MG-10 or MG-20. Overall tonal quality is neutral with no real character of its own.

I've been all-tube for a few years now so this is my first solid state amp since I've been in this house. I can say that it doesn't posses the typical grain that I associate with less-than-SOTA solid state, and it does have the ability to provide excellent detail on top of a very black background. Regardless of the source I fed in it has always maintained its composure and has always produced a very accurate, yet non-fatiguing sound. It's just a thoughtfully-designed and well-executed amplifier.

The digital side is equally impressive. I did some comparisons between the S7i and the internal drive and found the two to be very comparable. The RZ-1 doesn't seem to have the same analytical character that I associate with Esoteric's digital components, rather it appears to be voiced more for musical enjoyment. In direct comparison I found that the S7i produced a bigger sound stage and presented an overall more realistic tonal picture. The difference wasn't night and day by any stretch of the imagination, but the purpose-built Wadia provided a more "evolved" sound than the Swiss Army Knife Esoteric.

Big deal... one could buy the Esoteric and $8000 worth of CDs for the cost of the Wadia!

When used as a DAC the Esoteric was equally competent and again provided excellent sound from Apple Lossless files (ripped from my library) and AAC files purchased on iTunes.

To Sum Up

The RZ-1 is a bit of an enigma. Not having the ability to try it with different speakers I'm not sure how it would behave with a more demanding load. I'm just not sure how I would use it except to drive a pair of MG-10s or MG-20s. In this setup, though, the sound is so good that the phrase, "giant killer," quickly comes to mind.

As I mentioned in the MG-10 thread I seriously considered selling the main system and purchasing the MG-10 / RZ-1 combo to replace it. I'm having trouble describing what I've heard, but when paired together I got a sound that was about 85% as good as my reference in all areas except for bass response.

To put it a different way... Ignoring the cost of the turntable, arm, and cartridge my system with the Vandersteen 5As retailed at about $105,000.

For 1/10th that amount I could get the RZ-1, MG-10s, and stands and still have the ability to truly enjoy my music collection. I'm not talking about settling. I'm talking about actually being able to relax and escape in exactly the same way that I can with my normal system. That's really saying something.

The RZ-1 / MG-10 combo is exceedingly musical, provides an excellent audiophile experience, and is completely non-fatiguing. I've enjoyed every minute that I've had with this pair and after taking into consideration what the products are I simply can't find any real fault with either of them.

If you are looking to downsize or simplify your system then you really should look at the RZ-1 and/or MG-10s.

If you are looking to setup a second system then you really should look at the RZ-1 and/or MG-10s.

If you are looking to spend less than $10K on your system then you really should look at the RZ-1 and/or MG-10s. Then look at some systems at 2x, 4x, 8x the price. You might realize at that point just how good these Esoteric pieces are.

This is one of those situations where two components can operate in such perfect synergy that the resulting performance is vastly greater than the sum of the parts.

Sorry... don't mean to ramble on... it's been a long day.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Rambling? I think not. I call it a great write up! Thanks for taking the time for writing it.

I really like these new convergence products with USB input and such. I also like the idea of an integrated piece. Personally, I have no use for the CD transport but I suspect it cost little to throw it in.

Seems like a very worthwhile product.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Andrew

I had one question or at least a thought...I think it is unusual for an Esoteric drive to be noisy

This has been my experience as well, but the Esoteric drives that we think about are the over-built VRDS monsters which can weigh as much as the entire RZ-1. This unit is likely a computer drive that Esoteric sourced to meet a form factor and price requirement.

I'm listening now and when one track fades out I can begin to hear a slight click/chirp noise from the transport. I'm so close to it that I can almost reach out and touch it. Like I said above, if it were across the room I probably wouldn't hear it at all.

As an aside, I'm going to see if I can keep it for a little while longer and use it to break in the Rockports. I don't like to leave tubes running when I'm out, but want to keep the speakers playing 24/7 so as to accelerate the running-in process. Should be interesting :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wouldn't use the transport either, but I really like the idea of an integrated DAC/amp and speakers made for each other. Such a combination stands a very good chance of killing giants stumbling off in search of synergy.

Tim

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
there is the Wadia 151..

I wouldn't use the transport either, but I really like the idea of an integrated DAC/amp and speakers made for each other. Such a combination stands a very good chance of killing giants stumbling off in search of synergy.

Tim

Hi,

I was very intrigued to hear about the drive of the RZ1 - I myself have a Wadia S7i as well, but have found the Wadia 151 very interesting, probably with even more serious shortcuts ;-)

a 50W amp with small digital pre, albeit by Wadia, thats what it is.

But you will not expect an impeccable quality control for 1K$; indeed the display rattles a bit, and the surface cannot not hold against the big Wadia - nor, as it seems, against the RZ1, which has a beautiful design (reminds me a bit of the Puccini though ;-)

I brought this in, as I wondered if somebody has experiences with both these units, I suspect the Wadia punches way beyond its size, if you go easy on Wattage..
E

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing