Esoteric seems to sound weird after 6-8hrs of running

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
After burning Esoteric K1X for a while, I notice sounds becoming a bit muffled. I don't know what went wrong and turned it off last night. Next day I open CD and play and it sounds clear and transparent again. But after coming back from delivering products, it sounds muffled again. Very weird.

If I turn off unit and power on again tomorrow, I guess it will sound clear and clean again. I wonder if there's any workaround to remedy the issue after using for a long while. Maybe I don't keep it on all the time but sometimes I want to leave device on before heading out and come back to enjoy music without waiting device to warm up and sounds good.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have a K-01XD and leave it powered up continuously. I have not experienced this phenomenon. I expect your unit will need several hundred hours to fully break in, but I don't recall any such behavior when mine was breaking in. Suggest you contact your dealer.

Reactions: mxk116

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I have a K-01XD and leave it powered up continuously. I have not experienced this phenomenon. I expect your unit will need several hundred hours to fully break in, but I don't recall any such behavior when mine was breaking in. Suggest you contact your dealer.

Maybe it's specific issue with my model? I wonder if anyone using P1XD1X/K1X/N-01XD has similar case.

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
I would suggest checking all your connection first and make sure they are plugged all the way in, and tight. Then if it still does it unplug it and wait for 15 minutes. Plug it back in and test it. After that it's shop time.

Don't rule out a cable issue, maybe a connection pulled lose inside the terminal ends. You did tug on them. Right? Breaking in they may change a bit, but muffled? Connections first, cold reboot second.

Happy hunting.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I'd like to hear opinions from people owning K1X/P1X/D1X sharing their real experience only. If you don't own such model, I believe other models should work fine and not really related to cases I'm having with now. My K1X hits 100hrs mark today.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
I use my N-01XD without degression in sound after warm up.
Maybe cleaning the interconnect contacts could help, avoid contact oil.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I use my N-01XD without degression in sound after warm up.
Maybe cleaning the interconnect contacts could help, avoid contact oil.

I did try but it didn't work. Maybe it's something related to Grandioso lineup or external power supply support thing. For now turning off for a while and turn on again seem to fix it.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
yes, the Grandioso K1X is the only player with the external power supply possibility. And so it is uncompareable to
all our similar gear. Do you own and use the PS1? Could you experience the same with and without the PS1?
Could you find out how the switch between the internal and the external powersupply is technically solved? By relay?
Please keep us updated if you found out the reason for this very uncommon behavoir, obviously a specific K1X problem that is new for all of us others with lower grade players. And very interesting if we think about upgrading ours. Thank you for sharing your experience.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Did you ever find a resolution?

George

Reactions: dandylinpsst

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
I don't have PS1 due to limited space. I heard P1X and D1X also have this issue too. In my system it started to sound muddy after 10hrs.
I also found the same problem as you. My player is K1x+PS1.
I think this problem is difficult to explain the situation to the Esoteric factory. Unless it is possible to provide measured data. There should be many potential bugs in the design of the new VRDS-ATLAS and Master Sound Discrete DAC that have not been discovered by Esoteric.
This is one of the risks of early adopters.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I also found the same problem as you. My player is K1x+PS1.
I think this problem is difficult to explain the situation to the Esoteric factory. Unless it is possible to provide measured data. There should be many potential bugs in the design of the new VRDS-ATLAS and Master Sound Discrete DAC that have not been discovered by Esoteric.
This is one of the risks of early adopters.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has this issue. I normally leave all equipment but amplifier powered on but now I turn everything off when I don't use. Since I don't listen to music 10hrs+ straight so situation is not that grave compared to sound quality it delivers with new discrete DAC design. It wasn't as bad as how Roon degraded sound quality from 1.8 to current 2.0 updates.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has this issue. I normally leave all equipment but amplifier powered on but now I turn everything off when I don't use. Since I don't listen to music 10hrs+ straight so situation is not that grave compared to sound quality it delivers with new discrete DAC design. It wasn't as bad as how Roon degraded sound quality from 1.8 to current 2.0 updates.
Windows X, reading all your posts, you never mention your Esoteric Dealer. this problem is now going on for 10 months, since last June. what did your dealer say when you described your problem to him? did he contact the distributor or the factory and ask them about it? what did they say?

thanks. we would all like to know the level of service you are getting.

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Windows X, reading all your posts, you never mention your Esoteric Dealer. this problem is now going on for 10 months, since last June. what did your dealer say when you described your problem to him? did he contact the distributor or the factory and ask them about it? what did they say?

thanks. we would all like to know the level of service you are getting.
I believe that even contacting the Esoteric dealer will not get a good solution.
Because the service process of large Japan A/V Manufacturers are not the same as that of small companies in Europe and America, the owner is the designer, and you can get instant service quickly.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I believe that even contacting the Esoteric dealer will not get a good solution.
Because the service process of large Japan A/V Manufacturers are not the same as that of small companies in Europe and America, the owner is the designer, and you can get instant service quickly.
i think that thinking is a mistake.

here we are on a hifi forum, talking about what we think is a new product with a problem. as readers we have no idea the exact circumstances for this person and product. so part of this feedback from Windows X is to help him, the other part is for us to learn. was this Esoteric bought new? was it bought used? has the dealer been responsive? has Esoteric been responsive? at this point we are blind to all that. how would a prospective Esoteric buyer feel about not contacting the Esoteric dealer since we expect them not to care. that would be a problem.

large or small manufacturers want to answer questions. sometimes it's simply to educate the customer on how best to get the best performance. so telling the dealer about the problem is an important step to get full enjoyment of the product. the dealer/distributor/manufacturer will know things the end user can't know, and they want end user feedback to be able to improve their product and keep their customers happy.

i've managed a Honda dealership for over 40 years. Honda takes their customers seriously, and i can assure you Esoteric does too. i just purchased an Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable (double the price of any new Honda). it's a new product and when i had questions that my dealer could not answer, my dealer forwarded them to the distributor, who forwarded them to the support group in Japan, and i got answers. it's a more formal process than my other relationships with my gear builders, but no reason i should avoid it. it makes my ownership experience better.

yes; i don't know those guys in Japan like i know my other gear builders who mostly i know on a first name basis and are on the speed dial of my phone. sometimes they call me. but large companies like Esoteric/TEAC also build great products which deserve attention, and have effective customer support processes in place. if they didn't they would not have become large corporations.

i do respect that as buyers for short lifespan mid-fi and low-fi electronics like TV's and Laptops from large international companies that our expectations of personal service and help is a bit different than expensive high end hifi gear. it's the reason TEAC has the Esoteric division, since they know those type products and customers need a different level of attention for the products to be respected for that market. it's not one size fits all. but it's a mistake for us to generalize about what we should expect. Esoteric is aiming at the top of the market performance and respect, so we should hold them accountable.

bottom line.........is that at this point we don't know enough to judge Esoteric in the Window X situation. but maybe we can find out.

Last edited:

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I bought K1X as a new product and I don't think mentioning about dealer will help anything since this is rare design case that most people won't even realize. Out of 10 people leaving K1X on 24/7, maybe 2 notice it sounds weird after 10hrs. And it was dealer informed me about this matter first as confirmation.

I won't disclose about dealer's information but they're quite proactive and very passionate about sound quality. They are also aware about different cases on Esoteric products so I believe they should be able to provide me solution if there ever was one already.

But lately it seems to get better after I readjusted screw tightness around PCB and chassis. There was a time when CD got stuck in tray and I asked them if I should schedule with their technician to resolve this matter and they asked if I'm capable enough to do it on my own so I got their approval to fix this issue myself with screw tightness adjusted. I didn't lift PCB up to adjust lower power supply boards though. Still want to keep device safe and secure without risks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I bought K1X as a new product and I don't think mentioning about dealer will help anything since this is rare design case that most people won't even realize. Out of 10 people leaving K1X on 24/7, maybe 2 notice it sounds weird after 10hrs. And it was dealer informed me about this matter first as confirmation.
it does help for readers to know you got support from the dealer and that you look positively toward them.
I won't disclose about dealer's information but they're quite proactive and very passionate about sound quality. They are also aware about different cases on Esoteric products so I believe they should be able to provide me solution if there ever was one already.
again, your positive view of the dealer reflects positively on Esoteric.
But lately it seems to get better after I readjusted screw tightness around PCB and chassis. There was a time when CD got stuck in tray and I asked them if I should schedule with their technician to resolve this matter and they asked if I'm capable enough to do it on my own so I got their approval to fix this issue myself with screw tightness adjusted. I didn't lift PCB up to adjust lower power supply boards though. Still want to keep device safe and secure without risks.
good to hear you are making progress. and it helps others to understand your process.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I’m wondering if the dealer can replicate the problem Window X has with the unit at the dealer’s store. I know my favourite dealer in town would gladly take the product back for further testing to see if they can replicate the problem. If he can, he would immediately contact the distributor or the manufacturer for repairs or a new unit. If he can’t, he would usually do a home visit and usually still discuss it with the distributor or manufacturer to see if he can get a new unit for the customer while the problematic unit goes back to factory for further investigations. That said, I would say he’s usually only successful in getting a replacement unit if he can’t prove it’s broken about 20-30% of the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing