Etsuro Bordeaux v.s anything else...

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I received my Etsuro Bordeaux a few days ago, and mount it on my 4P kuzma.

first couple of sides, I listened to a much tamed presentation and sound. Its been all there if you can imagine.
but it were a bit stressed and polite in the first few hours,
I was expecting explosion and mind blowing sound :), but "unfortunately" Etsuro japan as other cart's brand; need a bit of break in to sound great.

In my experience with many cart's I had\have, the "magic" number is around 40h…
so I have to listen for a couple of days further to get it there. I was trying to evaluate it after 10h or so against my ANNA (mounted on the Sikora new KV12vta arm) it was wrong.
they both connected to the DC inputs of my CHP P1 with the same degree of gain boost.
(I know it was a bit early. However, my curiosity had the best on me… but I was leaving it along and start over after a couple of days)

The Anna is my go- to for a long time now, along with Ds Audio set. For other arms (best tracker in the world!).
and others that come and go. My recent buying's (Etsuro, MSL) are except from curiosity purposes (and musical :) ), are also my trying and shove the Anna away.
and get better Drama and musical substance for my music experiance . I felt for a long time now although my Anna is a great and a superb cart's with a lot to give in the area of natural and balance
( I bought it mainly for classical music reproduction), it is a bit of "boring" to listen to occasionally. I wanted something with "more" LIFE, and excitement.

After reading some of you guys reviews and points about the Etsuro, especially Michael and jazdoc
, I jumped for it and ordered the Bordeaux to start with, after a long beating not to take the gold because of the MSL Titanium order I made together, in the same week (yet to arrive).

Back to the "WAR".

The Etsuro start to open up after some 20h~, and revealed his true nature.
A far more superior creature as I suspect but expecting it to be. In just a few hours over it start to build body and mid bass I yet to discover from my old cartridges,
the highs are "real life experience", sparkling and shining. but not hurting with No, I mean ZERO sibilance to encounter- in any LP!!!.
Some cartridges delivering a very high degrees of highs, especially some modern technology and materials ones, but they also often shows some sibilance and spatial sound with variable kinds of music.
The presentation with the Bordeaux is smooth like flat ocean with some seriously currents underneath.
The Etsuro bring music to life, not playing a recording, it got some of a soul character you only feel and hear with a very special equipment.
This is not a cartridge you would bring for the task of saving your old lp's. for that you need a round shape spherical diamond.
This cart will take your beloved library of great LP'S for the ride of a lifetime. Now I even more curios how much better the Gold is.
I probably need to get some VTA playing in the near future to get the bass exactly right amount. And fine tune the VTF for more airy presentation,
but it got very close to get a WOW for me as it playing right now. its full of life drama and musical neuance. the dymanics is to die for and iit can reveal detiald in the backround i didnt think are their in the recordings. it highlight the music between the notes, not just play what in the groove (if i can sound a bit crazy for a minute).

I am waiting for the MSL Titanium to arrive and take his place among the giants, and let him tell HIS story too.
hopfully it will blow my mind also (i suspect the Etsuro gold will find his way to my music room also in the future, but who know...)
A

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Great write up, the Bordeaux seems to be a dream come true!

If is not too much to ask, what's the resonance frequency with your 4Point tonearm? (and what 4Point is it: 9', 11' or 14'?).

Reactions: byrdparis

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Great write up, the Bordeaux seems to be a dream come true!

If is not too much to ask, what's the resonance frequency with your 4Point tonearm? (and what 4Point is it: 9', 11' or 14'?).

Hello, thanks!
Happy to share

my 4p is the 11”, but unfortunately Etsuro are not revealing their compliance anywhere, so it’s hard to tell... no definitive number here,
it seams to work superbly, so I imagine it’s around 9-10hz.. but it’s just an assumption.

Aviad.

Reactions: marmota

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Hello, thanks!
Happy to share

my 4p is the 11”, but unfortunately Etsuro are not revealing their compliance anywhere, so it’s hard to tell... no definitive number here,
it seams to work superbly, so I imagine it’s around 9-10hz.. but it’s just an assumption.

Aviad.

Thanks for replying!

Yes, that's true, they don't publish compliance, that's why I asked. Anyway, it seems to be somewhat random and not as important at the end, as for example, the Fuuga has a compliance of 7 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100Hz), if we multiply this x1.75, is around 12cu...but it weights 15gr! if we want a 10hz resonance frequency, that means that the ideal tonearm for it is around 6gr effective mass...but in reality, the best result are obtained with heavy tonearms, such as the 18gr Kuzma 4Point according to many reviews and users. Maybe there are more important factors than compliance/effective mass, and the cartridge is so well built that it trascends the "optimal" requirements. The Bordeaux is light at 9gr, so probably is an excellent match with many medium-heavy tonearms.
Anyway, sorry for the off topic, enjoy the Bordeaux, it is gorgeous!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard the Bordeaux sound good with FR 66s and 64s

Reactions: Chop

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Thanks for replying!

Yes, that's true, they don't publish compliance, that's why I asked. Anyway, it seems to be somewhat random and not as important at the end, as for example, the Fuuga has a compliance of 7 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100Hz), if we multiply this x1.75, is around 12cu...but it weights 15gr! if we want a 10hz resonance frequency, that means that the ideal tonearm for it is around 6gr effective mass...but in reality, the best result are obtained with heavy tonearms, such as the 18gr Kuzma 4Point according to many reviews and users. Maybe there are more important factors than compliance/effective mass, and the cartridge is so well built that it trascends the "optimal" requirements. The Bordeaux is light at 9gr, so probably is an excellent match with many medium-heavy tonearms.
Anyway, sorry for the off topic, enjoy the Bordeaux, it is gorgeous!
Thanks.
i think although its not concern the ETSURO in specific, it is a great topic to contemplate about.
i also usually get my calculation first. but as you mentioned, our experience showed us how different builds and tonearms from different stroks get together perfectly, although the math is not perfect as we want it to be :)

best to you.
A

Reactions: marmota

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I’ve also just added a Bordeaux to by TT replacing the Koetsu Urushi Vermillion.
Only ~ 8 hours on it, but already more resolution, lower noise floor, better bass, still on the warm side of neutral, they way I like it...
Let’s see how it breaks in, but impressive so far....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...In my experience with many cart's I had\have, the "magic" number is around 40h…
I also use 40h as an average for the '1st wave' of break-in, and somewhere around 150h as fully settled.

Congrats on your new tool for musical enjoyment!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I’ve also just added a Bordeaux to by TT replacing the Koetsu Urushi Vermillion.
Only ~ 8 hours on it, but already more resolution, lower noise floor, better bass, still on the warm side of neutral, they way I like it...
Let’s see how it breaks in, but impressive so far....
Congrats!
Indeed, the tonality is more lush and blooming then “natural” in the purity of the word.
I think the slightly color of this Japanese construction with the ability to be so realistic and with tons of resolution but without over highlight it - that impressive.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The Anna is my go- to for a long time now, along with Ds Audio set. For other arms (best tracker in the world!).
and others that come and go. My recent buying's (Etsuro, MSL) are except from curiosity purposes (and musical :) ), are also my trying and shove the Anna away.
and get better Drama and musical substance for my music experience . I felt for a long time now although my Anna is a great and a superb cart's with a lot to give in the area of natural and balance
( I bought it mainly for classical music reproduction), it is a bit of "boring" to listen to occasionally. I wanted something with "more" LIFE, and excitement.

same for me. the MC Anna was my reference for 3-4 years, and it always delivered a refined and balanced musical viewpoint. for me then the GFS came along and took things further; added more life, excitement, scale and authority. and then the Anna Diamond for a short time. but then for me, there is the Etsuro Gold to another level beyond.

After reading some of you guys reviews and points about the Etsuro, especially Michael and jazdoc
, I jumped for it and ordered the Bordeaux to start with, after a long beating not to take the gold because of the MSL Titanium order I made together, in the same week (yet to arrive).

congrats on the Bordeaux. great write-up.

The Etsuro start to open up after some 20h~, and revealed his true nature.
A far more superior creature as I suspect but expecting it to be. In just a few hours over it start to build body and mid bass I yet to discover from my old cartridges,
the highs are "real life experience", sparkling and shining. but not hurting with No, I mean ZERO sibilance to encounter- in any LP!!!.
Some cartridges delivering a very high degrees of highs, especially some modern technology and materials ones, but they also often shows some sibilance and spatial sound with variable kinds of music.
The presentation with the Bordeaux is smooth like flat ocean with some seriously currents underneath.
The Etsuro bring music to life, not playing a recording, it got some of a soul character you only feel and hear with a very special equipment.
This is not a cartridge you would bring for the task of saving your old lp's. for that you need a round shape spherical diamond.
This cart will take your beloved library of great LP'S for the ride of a lifetime. Now I even more curios how much better the Gold is.
I probably need to get some VTA playing in the near future to get the bass exactly right amount. And fine tune the VTF for more airy presentation,
but it got very close to get a WOW for me as it playing right now. its full of life drama and musical nuance. the dynamics is to die for and iit can reveal detailed in the background i didn't think are their in the recordings. it highlight the music between the notes, not just play what in the groove (if i can sound a bit crazy for a minute).

I am waiting for the MSL Titanium to arrive and take his place among the giants, and let him tell HIS story too.
hopfully it will blow my mind also (i suspect the Etsuro gold will find his way to my music room also in the future, but who know...)
A

glad you are enjoying it.

Etsuro is about subtlety and nuance, gets the sweep and power of the music. explodes when appropriate. and is never off balance. the Etsuro Gold just goes farther down these roads to it's own place. the Gold has textures and colors, but not coloration. it's a truth sayer.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congratulations!

As you've already discovered, patience is a virtue with this transducer.. In my system, small differences in VTA and VTF make a huge difference with this cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing