Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
today my Etsuro Gold moving coil cartridge arrived. it's been playing about 45 minutes on the CS Port turntable.

first blush:

i'm sort of blown away. i am hearing textures and fine gradations of information i don't believe i've heard before. an ease and flow i don't think i've heard. my system is set up to be a conduit for all the musical information. this might be what i had in mind.:)

just wow!

seems to be very synergistic with the low pressure, low flow, linear tracker on the CS Port and the CS Port phono stage........

https://etsurojapan.com/product/gold

EG-1.jpg EG-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Mike,

What prompted you to try this particular cartridge?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

What prompted you to try this particular cartridge?

this was the top choice of Mik on the CS Port turntable (and his other's too); and the more we spoke it seemed to offer a perfect compliment to my system's attributes. Mik can choose any cartridge from his choices. visitors to his room really liked this cartridge. why re-invent the wheel? i figured go with what already is a crazy good mate to the CS Port.

i wanted to be done, and this was the last piece of my particular puzzle. this takes the CS Port over the top to my ears, offering an ultimate belt drive experience. i moved the GFS back to it's long term spot on the Telos Sapphire on the direct drive NVS, and the Anna Diamond stays on the Tosca on the idler Saskia. three known synergistic combinations.

the vdH Master Signature will go up for sale. not put many hours on it and i'll let someone else enjoy it.

and even though i had high expectations for the Etsuro Gold; i'm just stupefied. the energy projection caught me by surprise, and suspension of disbelief is almost constant even this first night. it seems almost blasphemous to try and even break down the whole into parts. maybe later

so i shoved all my chips into the pot and went for it. got to sell some stuff to make it work.....as it's a reach for me with my other recent acquisitions. but i'm at the end of my gear end game. looking forward to the moving into the media focused phase like Master Tang once the piggy bank recovers. it will be a little while.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: bonzo75 and marmota

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Probably cheaper to fly out to Japan, eat the top food, take in a show, pop into a dealer and put the cash down, slip it in yr pocket and grab the flight home, and still have change from buying it in the US.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
D
Probably cheaper to fly out to Japan, eat the top food, take in a show, pop into a dealer and put the cash down, slip it in yr pocket and grab the flight home, and still have change from buying it in the US.
Not probably but definitely!
Can do so in HK too.
:cool:

Reactions: howiebrou and XV-1

djsina2

May 30, 2019
There are worse examples of USA price gouging of Japanese products. I’ve seen cases where the USA dealer mark up is over double the price of Japan MSRP.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I observed that many of the European brands and Japanese brands, once crossing the two oceans to land on N Am, would have a 50% increase in msrp at least.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing