Etsuro Urushi Gold Cartridge - The New "Gold" Standard

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Kedar - we just need to convince the General to acquire one of these carts for your next bake off.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Tang 3mv around 4 to 10 ohms is what I have ended up enjoying.
This cart is lucky to have you endorsed it sir.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: bonzo75

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Its hard to find a cartridge that ticks all the boxes hence owning one can be a problem like owning one deck.

This has been a bit hard for folks who inquire to digest. With the exception of the bass, which is better than any cartridge I have heard to date, this cart is unbelievably well balanced across the full spectrum. It is just musical to the max and for those that just want to listen to music without focusing on specifics this should be on the short list. You can try to critical listen your way to finding what it does or doesn't do to be a wasted effort. Because it draws you in and you just don't care.

The Red Sparrow is high resolving, fast and engaging, but I find the Etsuro Urushi Gold to be more balanced in tonal qualities. Of course the Red Sparrow is very cheap to re-tip which usually gets the vote even if the Gold is more preferable in sound quality. Can't go wrong with either.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This has been a bit hard for folks who inquire to digest. With the exception of the bass, which is better than any cartridge I have heard to date, this cart is unbelievably well balanced across the full spectrum. It is just musical to the max and for those that just want to listen to music without focusing on specifics this should be on the short list. You can try to critical listen your way to finding what it does or doesn't do to be a wasted effort. Because it draws you in and you just don't care.

The Red Sparrow is high resolving, fast and engaging, but I find the Etsuro Urushi Gold to be more balanced in tonal qualities. Of course the Red Sparrow is very cheap to re-tip which usually gets the vote even if the Gold is more preferable in sound quality. Can't go wrong with either.

I hear no imbalance in tonal qualities of the Red Sparrow on my TT but don’t deny you have an imbalance in yours - certainly Kedar and Tang reported an imbalance in theirs too. Would certainly like to hear the Etsuro though in a head to head!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Surprised you are even asking with all of your experience in pricing internationally of cartridges. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is certainly a step up from the Hana cartridges Excel normally make.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hear no imbalance in tonal qualities of the Red Sparrow on my TT but don’t deny you have an imbalance in yours - certainly Kedar and Tang reported an imbalance in theirs too. Would certainly like to hear the Etsuro though in a head to head!

I heard it in two, and based on the reports from tang and one other, all 4 were in sync, but completely different from anything that I have heard at yours or the general's. So whether it is the LT, or or some other setting it is sensitive too, I did not know

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wow, that is certainly a step up from the Hana cartridges Excel normally make.

Hi XV-1,

I believe the Hana carts are made in the same workshop as several other branded carts from big names (costing big money). Interesting vid from Fremer on this. Not sure if it is the vid below cos I see the words “revised” after this one.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Saying the Urushi has "more" balance in its tonal qualities, doesn't mean the Top Wing sound imbalanced. Please do not misquote my words.

Naturally we have never met so our understanding of what this means may be different, but as an owner of both carts and having had the chance to test this cart on my references as well as other systems I feel it can't be explained. I would encourage you to give it an audition when possible and it will make sense.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Saying the Urushi has "more" balance in its tonal qualities, doesn't mean the Top Wing sound imbalanced. Please do not misquote my words.

Naturally we have never met so our understanding of what this means may be different, but as an owner of both carts and having had the chance to test this cart on my references as well as other systems I feel it can't be explained. I would encourage you to give it an audition when possible and it will make sense.

I disagree. I personally don’t see the term “more balanced” as anything relevant either musically or in audio.

Please can you explain what you mean precisely by your word “more balanced” so I can better understand your point.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Ultimately its all down to personal preferences and what works best in ones given system trying to find absolutes is all ways difficult, both cartridges are truly wonderful and enjoyable within the context of a system.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I disagree. I personally don’t see the term “more balanced” as anything relevant either musically or in audio.

Please can you explain what you mean precisely by your word “more balanced” so I can better understand your point.

Within the context of the term balanced, it is either balanced or not balanced so yes I would agree that it cannot be more balanced. However, adding the tonal characteristics to the mix (and again us not having any familiarity with out listening preferences or communication) there is more evenness with the Urushi, easier and more smooth. To best articulate this point I would liken the sound characteristics to a filter. The Urushi has a filter that is more musical and easy than the Top Wing. Top Wing is more on the accurate, hyper detail as a "filter" so you can hear certain things in greater detail making you more aware. The Urushi is what I consider more tonally balanced because it doesn't make you aware. The smoothness you just want to listen and not focus on anything. Musical.

Given the recent trip to Cyprus outside of the reference system and others I have tried it on the Contendo reveals all. Analog on the Contendo in a room with no reflections to deal with made it hard to really qualify which one is a "winner" between the two. If the Contendo didn't have a much copious bass on demand it might be contest the Urushi would stand out more as a cart, but ultimately both were on par with a best cart. Preference was given to the Top Wing that day, but I can assure you on many other days it could easily be the Urushi based on system or recording.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

108CY

May 4, 2013
Choosing a cartridge is not easy and listening to it in one or two systems does not really tell us much apart from it works well in particular set up, with a certain turntable and arm combination. At the same time it does give us an indication if it has a fighting chance. That why I have ended up with a few combinations and like to try things out with various set ups to see what works with what before I comment.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Choosing a cartridge is not easy and listening to it in one or two systems does not really tell us much apart from it works well in particular set up, with a certain turntable and arm combination. At the same time it does give us an indication if it has a fighting chance. That why I have ended up with a few combinations and like to try things out with various set ups to see what works with what before I comment.

Hi Mik,

What are your favourite combinations? Please could you share some photos too - wbf members would love to be acquainted with your fleet of analogue front ends.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
This cart is lucky to have you endorsed it sir.

Kindest regards,
Tang

on your shopping list Tang? :cool:

What ever happened to the Palladium cart?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

No itch. My fun is on software now shane. Now I only play with vdh and Opus on the AS2000. And GFS on 927. I thought the Palladian would match perfectly with the Axiom on 927, but the GFS does it better. So the Palladian is in the box. The GFS/Axiom/927 is king for dynamic and slam Shane. Carts with higher output tend to match with my system more beautifully.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: bonzo75 and XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

That cart is so boring. Heard it a few times also compared with one of the basic zyx models

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
That cart is so boring. Heard it a few times also compared with one of the basic zyx models

I trust you and Tang over a local Aussie that loves it. His system leans towards lean with no bass

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Would this cartridge be a good match on an AMG “turbo” tonearm with effective mass of 13.9 grams?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing