Etsuro Urushi Phono Cartridges

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I mentioned in my thread about a visit to Mik at Unique Audio that I had purchased an Etsuro Cobalt cartridge for my SME 20/3 and SME V tonearm and undertook to report further on the cartridge.
The above replaced a Townshend Rock V, SME V and Soundsmith MMIC cartridge so a comprehensive upgrade. My impressions of the Cobalt are obviously based on the SME combination but I am sure it would work as well if not better with other turntables.
Etsuro has a range of three of its own cartridges. In ascending order the Cobalt, the Bordeaux and the Gold. The Etsuro websiste is https:// etsurojapan.com. Unique Audio's UK prices are £4250,£7495 and £14,995 and if you are interested in purchasing any of these cartridges I strongly recommend you contact Mik (108 CY).
Mik kindly mounted my Cobalt but it does not appear to be a difficult job. Tracking weight is 2gr and the output is 0.25mv.
Mine has only about 30 hours on it so still running in really and it has a real synergy with the SME deck and arm.The sound has definite body to it while remaining neutral. Imaging is first class and depending on the recording vocals are dead centre and hang in the air between the speakers and about 2-3 feet above the speakers and a good couple of feet below the ceiling. Again depending on the recording the soundstage extends laterally well beyond the speakers. It is very articulate and vocals and the words are rendered clearly and are easily heard and understood.
With the Solti/CSO Beethoven Ninth there is a realistic flow to the music with well defined and clean bass. On all recordings I have played the different instruments are clearly delineated in the soundstage. The Mofi double LP of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Greatest Hits sides 3 and 4 sound better than I have ever heard them before. Violins are convincing and transparent with no harshness. Leading edges and transients from guitars have a convincing bite and edge.
I have not detected any shortcomings in the performance of the Cobalt and IMHO it is excellent value and and will provide many hours of musical enjoyment.
I attach a couple of photos which people may find helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Barry,

Congrats on the new SME 20 and V and Cobalt. That is a very competent and beautifully built front end right there. What is the phono stage you are using?

Are you sure the UK Cobalt is only 0.25mV? I know that Mik sells specific UK versions of these carts but assumed that this had a bit more like the other UK Etsuro versions? I might be wrong of course.

Anyway - enjoy - I heard good things about this line of cartridges.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

Congrats on the new SME 20 and V and Cobalt. That is a very competent and beautifully built front end right there. What is the phono stage you are using?

Are you sure the UK Cobalt is only 0.25mV? I know that Mik sells specific UK versions of these carts but assumed that this had a bit more like the other UK Etsuro versions? I might be wrong of course.

Anyway - enjoy - I heard good things about this line of cartridges.

Hi Bill
The phono stage is the Whest PS 30 RDT SE and the ouput as far as I know is as indicated.
Thank you for your comments on my vinyl front end. I think it is a great combination with the bonus of being very user friendly and as you commented beautifully built.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... Mik kindly mounted my Cobalt but it does not appear to be a difficult job. ...
... Of course mounting a cart is easy and fast. Getting it dialed in so quickly is the hand of experience! ;)

Reactions: Barry2013

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I mentioned in my thread about a visit to Mik at Unique Audio that I had purchased an Etsuro Cobalt cartridge for my SME 20/3 and SME V tonearm and undertook to report further on the cartridge.
The above replaced a Townshend Rock V, SME V and Soundsmith MMIC cartridge so a comprehensive upgrade. My impressions of the Cobalt are obviously based on the SME combination but I am sure it would work as well if not better with other turntables.
Etsuro has a range of three of its own cartridges. In ascending order the Cobalt, the Bordeaux and the Gold. The Etsuro websiste is https:// etsurojapan.com. Unique Audio's UK prices are £4250,£7495 and £14,995 and if you are interested in purchasing any of these cartridges I strongly recommend you contact Mik (108 CY).
Mik kindly mounted my Cobalt but it does not appear to be a difficult job. Tracking weight is 2gr and the output is 0.25mv.
Mine has only about 30 hours on it so still running in really and it has a real synergy with the SME deck and arm.The sound has definite body to it while remaining neutral. Imaging is first class and depending on the recording vocals are dead centre and hang in the air between the speakers and about 2-3 feet above the speakers and a good couple of feet below the ceiling. Again depending on the recording the soundstage extends laterally well beyond the speakers. It is very articulate and vocals and the words are rendered clearly and are easily heard and understood.
With the Solti/CSO Beethoven Ninth there is a realistic flow to the music with well defined and clean bass. On all recordings I have played the different instruments are clearly delineated in the soundstage. The Mofi double LP of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Greatest Hits sides 3 and 4 sound better than I have ever heard them before. Violins are convincing and transparent with no harshness. Leading edges and transients from guitars have a convincing bite and edge.
I have not detected any shortcomings in the performance of the Cobalt and IMHO it is excellent value and and will provide many hours of musical enjoyment.
I attach a couple of photos which people may find helpful.
Congratulations.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Congrats!

I spoke to Mik and thought long and hard about getting one of these. In the end I went with a Phasemation, reckon there's an Etsuro in my future, one day

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Congrats!

I spoke to Mik and thought long and hard about getting one of these. In the end I went with a Phasemation, reckon there's an Etsuro in my future, one day
Thank you very much.
I was so pleased with the Cobalt that I moved up to the Bordeaux and I am very glad that I made the upgrade.
More expensive obviously, but has proved very well worthwhile.
IMHO the Bordeaux is the sweet spot in the Etsuro range.

Reactions: Arcus7

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you very much.
I was so pleased with the Cobalt that I moved up to the Bordeaux and I am very glad that I made the upgrade.
More expensive obviously, but has proved very well worthwhile.
IMHO the Bordeaux is the sweet spot in the Etsuro range.
Ha, sorry, didn't notice the thread had just been bumped from long ago. Hope you continue to enjoy the Bordeaux!

Reactions: Chop

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing