Evolution Acoustics MM2 vs Raidho C4.1

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Has anyone heard both and can compare sq. Specifically, is one easier to integrate into the room sound wise, not decor wise. Both are large but the 4.1 seems to be ok for quasi near field listening. Room is 25 x 16 with sloped ceilings with max of 9 ft. Bonus room over 3 car garage. Speakers would be on 25 ft wall centered with 8.5 ft tweeter to tweeter. Front end is Bricasti M1se with network board, SGC I7 Roon Core with nas music storage, no analogue.
Amp is McIntosh MA 252 integrated. Am willing to change amp. HiDiamond 8 speaker cables, ICs and PC.
Thank you, Jeff

Reactions: Macattack

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There's no comparison here. MM2 is way, way better, in all aspects. Plus, due to its active bass, it's much easier to integrate into rooms.

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Has anyone heard both and can compare sq. Specifically, is one easier to integrate into the room sound wise, not decor wise. Both are large but the 4.1 seems to be ok for quasi near field listening. Room is 25 x 16 with sloped ceilings with max of 9 ft. Bonus room over 3 car garage. Speakers would be on 25 ft wall centered with 8.5 ft tweeter to tweeter. Front end is Bricasti M1se with network board, SGC I7 Roon Core with nas music storage, no analogue.
Amp is McIntosh MA 252 integrated. Am willing to change amp. HiDiamond 8 speaker cables, ICs and PC.
Thank you, Jeff

MM2's are just fine for nearfield listening.

i owned the MM3's for 6 years, and have now owned the MM7's for 6 years......which; once i solved my room reflective hash issues, i've been listening in the near field for the last 3 years. my tweeter to tweeter is 109" in my 21' wide room. my ears are 95" from each tweeter.

and with the size of your room, the MM2's will be able to get bass hookup more predictably, as well as offering an upgrade path to add the additional top bass modules or even the Exact crossovers should you desire. quite future proofed i think.

good luck with your decision. either of these fine speakers will do a wonderful job once integrated into your system.

Reactions: jazdoc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Raidho is my least liked speaker, and the MM7 is my favorite room. So while I have not heard MM2, I cannot think of an easier question

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Big Raidho fan here, and the C4.1 is phenomenal. Such a clean and unsaturated sound. Proprietary drivers vs off-the-shelf. Evo Acoustics are great, but for me Raidho takes it a step beyond. Raidho rooms in the past have easily been best in show by my estimation. And I even prefer the ceramic drivers to the more expensive diamond. I'm just not sure the Mac integrated is the best amp to drive either of your choices, and you'll want to do some demoing. An Aavik, Ansuz, Raidho combo should knock your socks off. I'm a big fan of the M1 SE DAC too! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Thank you to all whom have replied. A bit polarizing and to each his own. If I mentioned that I had Magico S5 MK 1s and was fairly quick to sell them off due to certain in your face detail and sibilance at certain frequencies would that change anybodies opinion of what I may like better?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Raidho isn't "in your face" but they absolutely don't hold back detail. I won't say the EA's do, but some will probably describe Raidhos as having a more "Hi Fi" sound than Evolution Acoustics. Others will say they are simply superb in terms of technicalities. You may well prefer the MM2. And, I like Mike's point about the MM2's expansion capability, too.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
JGlacken,

You can also adjust the output of the MM2 tweeter, BTW.
Do a little research on Raidho and the bass/midbass issue. It's well known. If you go for one, get one of the recent models, as they seem to have improved in that front at least.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
From what I recall, the slight mid bass peak was a design decision via port tuning, and could be altered as well. The OP needs to audition himself...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you to all whom have replied. A bit polarizing and to each his own. If I mentioned that I had Magico S5 MK 1s and was fairly quick to sell them off due to certain in your face detail and sibilance at certain frequencies would that change anybodies opinion of what I may like better?
Keep the Ref 3As then...good speakers and integrate well with a good sub, which you seem to have.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I really like Raidho, but wouldn't buy due to bass... IMO it's just not up to the level of others that have more woofer surface area. Great tweeter though.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I really like Raidho, but wouldn't buy due to bass... IMO it's just not up to the level of others that have more woofer surface area. Great tweeter though.

Listened to Raidhos many times in Hong Kong.
Their bookshelf models are excellent but the floorstanders' bass is not easy to tame and may not suit the smallish home environment in HK.

Reactions: DaveC

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Thank you, Jeff
I look forward to the ‘Setup’ process! ;)

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I have the Raidho D3's augmented with a JL Audio F212v2 subwoofer in the left rear room corner. DARO run on the subwoofer, LP set @ 40Hz with 24 dB per octave slope. I "muffled" the D3 bass ports to attenuate bass overlap. I've retained the high frequency and mid-range advantages of the D3 while the bass authority now rivals large floor standers.

In the future I may add a JL Audio CR1 to better balance the system. But for now this system in my midsize dedicated room sounds like a Raidho on steroids with much improved bass articulation.

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing