Evolution Acoustics MM7 for Sale - Seller is getting custom EA speakers built?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

Has anyone seen this? MikeL - do you know anything about this? The Audiogon add shows the EA MM7s being sold (bass towers are half-towers...still very impressive!)...and the Seller is having EA custom-build him new speakers.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa52je-evolution-acoustics-mm7-s-full-range
Evolution Acoustics MM7.jpg

"Evolution Acoustics MM7's with half stack woofer towers.
Extra woofer towers can be added to make the full stack if desired.
Excellent condition / Like new / Have not moved them since installed / 6 years old
These speakers are the ultimate full range speaker in the Evolution lineup.
I have to say these are the best sounding speakers I have ever owned or HEARD!

The only reason for selling them is I'm having Evolution Acoustics build me a custom set of speakers for my room.
Please refer to their web page for specifications & reviews. All freight & fees are to be paid by buyer. 100% feedback. Thank You"

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i certainly know the gentleman who owns those. and know somewhat about the next gen Evolution Acoustics speakers.

mine might be for sale at some point too. or not. i have not yet decided. maybe similar to my 458 darTZeel mono blocks. one day i was happy with them and had not seriously considered changing. then my dealer found a home for my 458's and before i knew it i had 468's in my room.

whoever gets those speakers, or mine, will have a speaker system without limits. that, if you do justice to supporting them with the right room and signal path, can take you to the highest performance highs in our hobby. and will deliver the deepest bass, fill the largest room, and be perfectly integrated over the full frequency range.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, don't you fancy a change? Four-panel Alsyvox, perhaps?

Reactions: matakana

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, don't you fancy a change? Four-panel Alsyvox, perhaps?

Marc,

when i'm not listening, just web surfing or dreaming, then all sorts of speaker exotica enter my mind. and were i to make a list of those fantasies then the Caravaggio's would be on the list. who does not imagine......in that same way?

however; when i'm listening i don't even slightly think of other gear or speaker choices.

but mostly that would be change for the sake of change, and then the whole effort to get the room to work perfectly again, and the odds of the music sounding better would be a big question. the best i could hope for would be different.

my mind is more thinking about retirement and enjoying the music, than system changes. which is why i inferred that this change likely will have to pursue me, as i'm not personally pursuing it. i have zero reason to pursue it.:cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
well, well, well...THIS will certainly be an interesting hunt to watch...like a lion stalking its prey casually...maybe i'm hungry...maybe i'm not...BLAAM!!!

Dinner.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
well, well, well...THIS will certainly be an interesting hunt to watch...like a lion stalking its prey casually...maybe i'm hungry...maybe i'm not...BLAAM!!!

Dinner.
LOL ! Or is it the old bull ?;)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
whoever gets those speakers, or mine, will have a speaker system without limits. that, if you do justice to supporting them with the right room and signal path, can take you to the highest performance highs in our hobby. and will deliver the deepest bass, fill the largest room, and be perfectly integrated over the full frequency range.

I'm sure your system sounds fantastic but there's always something better, deeper, more dynamic, more realistic and higher performance. Technology doesn't stand still and there's a lot of $ floating around this planet to enable R&D extremes of all kinds.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm sure your system sounds fantastic but there's always something better, deeper, more dynamic, more realistic and higher performance. Technology doesn't stand still and there's a lot of $ floating around this planet to enable R&D extremes of all kinds.

i'm not sure that is true. and i'm not talking about my particular system.

i think occasionally you capture lightning in a bottle with the whole system balance and set-up and maybe never get there again. it's more about synergy than the popular choices for best gear.

how do you know you can re-live the passion it took the first time? i'm not sure i have it in me to do it again. and maybe that is the biggest reason i'm reluctant to sell. the knowledge of what it took to do it once.

and i see that passion as being the most valuable ingredient for ultimate performance assuming that the asset commitment is sufficient.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Mike. I agree. Your system is one of the best. Speaker and room synergy is very hard to get right and perfect. Getting a new speaker to dial in perfectly is very time consuming. I would rather spend time listening music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unless after retirement Mike wants to redo the 20 year challenge.

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al Pacino should not be acting only in sequels to godfather, no matter how great the first part. You just can't keep improving. Better to do another movie sometime

Reactions: gian60

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

i think occasionally you capture lightning in a bottle with the whole system balance and set-up and maybe never get there again. it's more about synergy than the popular choices for best gear.

how do you know you can re-live the passion it took the first time? i'm not sure i have it in me to do it again. and maybe that is the biggest reason i'm reluctant to sell. the knowledge of what it took to do it once.

and i see that passion as being the most valuable ingredient for ultimate performance assuming that the asset commitment is sufficient.
I know for sure that you must have the passion to make it happen. It certainly takes more than writing a check. Audio requires inspiration and perspiration. I'm glad Mike that you point that out since I think many believe if I just buy this or that I am there,
I personally have heard many not there systems and only a small few of ones that made it. They may be different but they all have things in common. Ive never heard yours but perhaps some day post the apocalypse LOL
Stay well and maybe there is a Majestic in your future LOL

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

I agree with Mike here. It is one thing to change amps, DACs, cables etc. A speaker change is a total system change. The way the speaker interacts with the room is a huge deal. I went from Vivid G1s to the G1 spirits a year ago and I still don't have them sounding as good as the G1s did. You would think that you could just put the new speaker where the old one was and viola. But this is just not the case. I have learned a lot along the new journey to get the Spirits to sound great and I am hopeful that someday I will get everything dialed in and the sound will explode into something far greater then the G1s could achieve.

If you have your sound really dialed in then be very cautions about making speaker changes. I think the first question one should ask is "what exactly am I unhappy with in my sound?" Needs more dynamics? Not enough warmth? Too bright? Doesn't have good imaging? No soundstage depth? etc. etc. If you are happy with all the checkboxes then why change? As Mike says "just different, not better".

Reactions: Pokey77

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I agree with Mike here. It is one thing to change amps, DACs, cables etc. A speaker change is a total system change. The way the speaker interacts with the room is a huge deal. I went from Vivid G1s to the G1 spirits a year ago and I still don't have them sounding as good as the G1s did. You would think that you could just put the new speaker where the old one was and viola. But this is just not the case. I have learned a lot along the new journey to get the Spirits to sound great and I am hopeful that someday I will get everything dialed in and the sound will explode into something far greater then the G1s could achieve.

If you have your sound really dialed in then be very cautions about making speaker changes. I think the first question one should ask is "what exactly am I unhappy with in my sound?" Needs more dynamics? Not enough warmth? Too bright? Doesn't have good imaging? No soundstage depth? etc. etc. If you are happy with all the checkboxes then why change? As Mike says "just different, not better".

Every speaker reacts differently in a room. You can't drop the new piece where the old piece was and think BOOM I am done. I have speakers in the same family in my place and they all set up differently .
I have stated for years that the most important thing in any system is the placement of the speakers in the room. Personally I really enjoy that part of audio and I know there are some other folks out there that can help any of you out as it is their business and one particularly is great at it.
If you need some help and have invested a bunch in your system I highly suggest contacting Stirling Trayle at Systems Optimized.

There is no reason however to be afraid just make sure you have the proper support to make such a change. IMHO

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Every speaker reacts differently in a room. You can't drop the new piece where the old piece was and think BOOM I am done. I have speakers in the same family in my place and they all set up differently .
I have stated for years that the most important thing in any system is the placement of the speakers in the room. Personally I really enjoy that part of audio and I know there are some other folks out there that can help any of you out as it is their business and one particularly is great at it.
If you need some help and have invested a bunch in your system I highly suggest contacting Stirling Trayle at Systems Optimized.

There is no reason however to be afraid just make sure you have the proper support to make such a change. IMHO

Agree. Although I think speaker position is the #2 most important thing. Where you sit is the #1 most important thing. But getting this dialed in can take some time. Mike has spent quite a few years and seems to be pretty happy with his sound. Changing speakers would be changing lanes and could induce frustration in the beginning and middle while he is looking for something better than what he has now.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Mike, just be sure to let me know when/if you choose to let go of your speakers. I looked at the speakers of the original post, even ran it past the Minister of Finance. She said I'd spent this years allocation (Etsuro, CS Port) then gave me "the look" and I'm not speaking of the amorous look one wishes to get from the wife!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al Pacino should not be acting only in sequels to godfather, no matter how great the first part. You just can't keep improving. Better to do another movie sometime
You can add De Niro to that list. Russell Crowe not far off.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

100%...and you are by all accounts living proof of that commitment, and I have met a few audiophiles who also fall into that category of 'all out assault' COMMITTMENT of time, effort and obsession.

At the same time, knowing your system, knowing that you are staying with Evolution Acoustics...i would have HOPED that they could design this next gen speaker (which must be custom or customizeable given that they designing to be an upgrade over an f---in' MM7!)...to accommodate your system, room, equipment.

I have no doubt room balance/treatment will have to be looked at carefully...but in terms of 'electrical balance' and 'voicing balance'...i would have hoped you fare extremely good chances of success.

Like your 468 move from the 458 which seemed fairly painless and all upgrade no downside.

Plus, I think it would be fun for all of us to watch you stalk, hunt and take down the bull...

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing