Exceptional piano recording: Anderszewski Fantasies

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
Came across this one by happenstance via Tidal/Roon Radio (which seems to be getting better over time).

I was shocked by how good this is: it's got to be one of the best recordings of a solo piano that I have come across. Astonishing dynamics, utterly convincing timbre, and sense of the instrument in real space.

Some might find the approach to the Mozart a bit too Romantic, but it totally works for me. I've only heard this streamed (w/ and w/o MQA); I imagine an uncompressed 88/24 FLAC (available from the usual sources) will be even better.

Would love to hear what others think.

piotr_anderszewski.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
VLS,

thanks for the recommendation. been listening for the last 30 minutes and agree it's a very fine recording of piano, and i enjoy the interpretation and style, but with a caution i'm no expert on classical music.

big, bold and full bodied. the piano is nicely mic'd with a natural perspective. not distant, and not in your lap (in my particular system). agree also on the textures and ambiance. lots of overtones and decay.

i just like the music for itself, and might spring for the file too and see how much better it is.

Reactions: VLS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing