Expensive fuse or circuit breaker?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For the most part the toroidial transformer has replaced the traditional wax and paper transformer. There are some classic designs that cling to the latter. I I lack the technical expertise but I see no reason why we should still utilize fuses. In deed if you already own equipment it may be good idea to have it modified for coircuit breakers. This is especially true since it seems my fuse always blows at night or on the weekend when the store is closed.
What say you?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
So if the fuse blows, it is usually technically defective, or the fuse is not correctly dimensioned. fast, medium slow and slow blow important.
these circut breakers have a heating coil similar to a coil, they have a magnetic effect which is very undesirable in audio equipment. Many manufacturers want more and more non-magnetic parts, e.g. ressistors. I wouldn't do it because I don't trust the trigger characteristics.
Exsample Circut breaker
T11-211.jpg

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
American ingenuity. Sounds like a solvable problem.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
American ingenuity. Sounds like a solvable problem.
I use something in the AC 230v power like this, in devices fuses from them. i love non magneting things;)
AHP_Klangmodul_IVG_840x561_1.jpg

Reactions: carolus

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 26, 2015
Eastern WA
Sure don't use a fuse. When your device that only uses 2A goes to 10A and doesn't trigger tripping/clearing a circuit breaker and fries the device... you know who to blame.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For the most part the toroidial transformer has replaced the traditional wax and paper transformer. There are some classic designs that cling to the latter. I I lack the technical expertise but I see no reason why we should still utilize fuses. In deed if you already own equipment it may be good idea to have it modified for coircuit breakers. This is especially true since it seems my fuse always blows at night or on the weekend when the store is closed.
What say you?
I assume you are talking about a piece of stereo gear. If the fuse is blowing while the gear is idle then you have a problem. Better to find and fix the problem than modify the gear to not use a fuse.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Sure don't use a fuse. When your device that only uses 2A goes to 10A and doesn't trigger tripping/clearing a circuit breaker and fries the device... you know who to blame.
i think you got it wrong or my english is bad. I use this Ahp module instead of a circut breaker in electrical distribution. It has the German VDE approval which which has very strict rules.
20210222_174846.jpg

Reactions: carolus

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I assume you are talking about a piece of stereo gear. If the fuse is blowing while the gear is idle then you have a problem. Better to find and fix the problem than modify the gear to not use a fuse.
Yes I am.
IME when the fuse blows, it is because I have exceeded the power limit or there is a short circuit(loose cable or wire).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DISCLAIMER​

I am not advising anyone to modify their equipment. Doing so could void your warranty or possibly cause catastrophic failer. I am just wondering is that the general direction we should be headed. Given the prices of some fuses cost does seem to be an issue.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

DISCLAIMER​

I am not advising anyone to modify their equipment. Doing so could void your warranty or possibly cause catastrophic failer. I am just wondering is that the general direction we should be headed. Given the prices of some fuses cost does seem to be an issue.
Indeed!--I'd hate to count up the $$$'s down the gurgler with blown so called "audiophile fuses"

Tried Hi Fi Tuning, Synergistic Research , Furutech, AMR, --all at the correct for the PSU T rated --disintegrate upon turn -on:mad:

Reapplying the factory supplied fuse --same rating and configuration --Unit fires up no problem.

My conclusion is seemingly these "after market" products have no surge capability--or am I missing something here.

Anyway I've given up -with the cost of these little b**gg*rs through the roof--I'm relinquishing spending any more hard earned on them

Meh!

BruceD

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020

DISCLAIMER​

LOL.. After reading your first post, I modified all my equipment and removed the fuses.. Now I have no music at all, is there a Lawyer in the house? , Anyone ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
;) Predictable results from taking advice you get off the internet.

Reactions: Mikem53

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing