Experimenting with no-visual videos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I used a SONY HDR V1 (cheap, nothing fancy) which has an audio only feature. That records in WAV though. In retrospect I could have covered the video camera leaving the cap on and the recording would have been in mp4 with no visuals.

Anyway, playing it back...and I do have a sample of this on mobile to compare later...let's see if difference of opinion changes. I played this on mobile, laptop, laptop earphones, and streamed to a small speaker. This has a lot of midbass drama throughout to accompany the brilliant violin, especially at the end of this clip where the whole orchestra gets into a frenzy but the midbass gets lost on mobile and laptop.

You can just click on the link and hit play.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rando

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I received this message: There was a problem playing this audio file.
And an offer to download it which I did not do.

Edit: this was on a Samsung tablet. I can try later on my desktop.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can download it Google files and your built in anti virus checks it. It is straight off the camera.

You can play it on your default.

Try again. Just hit the link after it opens hit play. I. Got a message like that once but second time it played

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Okay, I was able to play this on my main computer using Firefox and weeny desktop speakers.

Not quite sure what you are after in terms of commentary. I have no problem with the lack of visuals for something like this, actually I find it easier to listen without them If it were for sharing a component or system, I'd probably like the visual.

Imo, the integration between orchestra and soloist was unbalanced. There was a better sense of venue context for the orchestra and less sense of harmonics radiating around the violin except at the start when the violin was solo. I could tell a lot was going on with the rhythm section that could be better fleshed out across all frequencies. And agree that the lower mids really jumbled up toward the end. It sounded like it could be really interesting, especially toward the end. Powerful orchestra. My guess is this was a relatively modern composition.

"Don't you like this?" Was that you voice?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Okay, I was able to play this on my main computer using Firefox and weeny desktop speakers.

Not quite sure what you are after in terms of commentary. I have no problem with the lack of visuals for something like this, actually I find it easier to listen without them If it were for sharing a component or system, I'd probably like the visual.

Imo, the integration between orchestra and soloist was unbalanced. There was a better sense of venue context for the orchestra and less sense of harmonics radiating around the violin except at the start when the violin was solo. I could tell a lot was going on with the rhythm section that could be better fleshed out across all frequencies. And agree that the lower mids really jumbled up toward the end. It sounded like it could be really interesting, especially toward the end. Powerful orchestra. My guess is this was a relatively modern composition.

"Don't you like this?" Was that you voice?

Hi no, this is an old recording, Joan Fields Telefunken.

Yes my voice but that was more of an excited don't you love this rhetorical type.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I said modern composition, not modern recording.

This is one of the most famous violin concertos in the violin repertoire by Bruch.

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bruch 1 to be precise

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
nope he would be described as romantic in the textbooks

Yes it's certainly romantic. I was thinking more time wise than stylistic. Fair amount of romantic non-atonal pieces in early 20th C, which I would characterize as modern. I don't listen to a lot of VC, being more a PC fan -- perhaps I should listen to more.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes it's certainly romantic. I was thinking more time wise than stylistic. Fair amount of romantic non-atonal pieces in early 20th C, which I would characterize as modern. I don't listen to a lot of VC, being more a PC fan -- perhaps I should listen to more.

No I am talking time wise. The Romantic era of Western classical music. As in the era that followed the late classical.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
No I am talking time wise. The Romantic era of Western classical music. As in the era that followed the late classical.

Okay, I've kinda lost track of where our conversation is going.

From the fragment of the video I would characterize the music as romantic, however the scale and complexity of the accompaniment pushed it forward in time farther from classical than when it was written, closer to very late romantic, early modern -- at least in my mind. :)

This fellow has Bruch early in the modern period in his timeline.

There are other ways to slice it. We both seem to enjoy it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing