Fabric or Leather Upholstery for Listening Chair?

What material do you like on your listening chair?

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Who thinks a listening chair should be upholstered with fabric rather than with leather out of the concern that leather reflects sound?

Have you ever directly compared for listening purposes a fabric chair with a leather chair?

How did each material make the sound you heard at your ears appear different?

What type of chair and what type of upholstery material is your current listening chair?

If you are concerned about leather upholstery reflecting sound, does this concern go away with a low back on the chair or couch?

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
have a look at this chair Ron, I had the chance to test it on a new project and it’s unbelievably comfortable and stable
B7FB5B3E-65BE-4E66-810D-FE9E9ED7866D.jpeg

Reactions: audioquest4life

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you. But those armrests don't look too comfortable.

Have you ever directly compared for listening purposes a fabric chair with a leather chair?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
with Greece hot weather it’s very uncomfortable, listening to music sitting on leather chair.

Reactions: matthias

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My chair is leather. When I am sitting in it there isn't much exposed leather to reflect sound.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My chair is leather. When I am sitting in it there isn't much exposed leather to reflect sound.

lol same as me!

Personally I would go for high wear so go for leather. That seat is going to sustain long hours :D and I think leather generally looks better for longer than fabric.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Who thinks a listening chair should be upholstered with fabric rather than with leather out of the concern that leather reflects sound? While it is true that fabric absorbs more, if the seat back and overall size of the listening chair isn't a loveseat or a couch? Leather would be my preferred choice. Actually, it was my preferred choice. I did have a concern about the leather reflecting the sound after getting the leather chair but that was quickly put to bed after the purchase. No discernible difference with the chair I got. This, coming from a fabric chair straight to a leather one.

Have you ever directly compared for listening purposes a fabric chair with a leather chair? Yes.

How did each material make the sound you heard at your ears appear different? I actually preferred the leather chair sound but I think that had more to do with the listening height that was raised up about an inch and a half than the fabric itself. It can be amazing how much listening height (even minuscule) can change the sound stage, spatial locationality cues and overall presentation.

What type of chair and what type of upholstery material is your current listening chair? Leather.

If you are concerned about leather upholstery reflecting sound, does this concern go away with a low back on the chair or couch? Never had a listening chair that had any back within about 4 to 6" from my ears, so I can't comment on that.

Further note - I highly recommend a chair that is adjustable and that has a foot rest for those longer listening sessions. I don't always "critically" listen. Sometimes, I just want to sit back and enjoy the music in total and complete comfort with an adult beverage in hand.

More information here - https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/looking-for-the-perfect-listening-chair.224/post-458584

Tom

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Fabric, less reflective and cats won’t tear it up..., IME

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Leather all the way :)!
david

Does the leather headrest of your chair extend above (and behind) your ears?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . It can be amazing how much listening height (even minuscule) can change the sound stage, spatial locationality cues and overall presentation. . . .

Thank you for your replies, Tom!

Does your height concern relate primarily, or only, to dynamic driver speakers? (This is not as much of an issue for panels with vertical drivers, correct?)

I agree, though, that it seems like a good idea to have some vertical height adjustment ability. Ekornes reclining chairs all have a pretty low seat height. (I know Ekornes offers an "elevator ring" to raise the seat by about an inch and a half.)

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Its hard to say. I have been interested in the spinnybeck leather offered by Knoll for some of their chairs. Quality microfiber can be plush and wear resistant. I was between these two fabrics for a new chair but I have put that on the shelf. I am using leather Eames executive lounge chair. If I sit up straight the top of the back is below my ears. I have been using this chair for almost 20 years so it may just stay until the end.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Non-human animals in the house: firm leather. Only human animals in the house: fabric for comfort.

Modern fabrics have come a long way in terms of durability, clean-ability and comfort but they won't stand up to dog clawing or cats. All of our dogs have had the nesting preparation ritual where they have to dig and claw around on their surface before they settle down.

I wouldn't decide on the basis of sound reflection as I don't think it rises to a concern.

Leather can annoy in hot and cold, though once it is warmed up by body in cold, it can be very warm.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
I would prefer the leather, IF the back was not stretched too tight, as it can become an unwanted tympanic membrane.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would prefer the leather, IF the back was not stretched too tight, as it can become an unwanted tympanic membrane.

Thank you, Jim!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
True for almost any chair, though? Although the greater permeability of most fabrics would lessen the membrane effect

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Does the leather headrest of your chair extend above (and behind) your ears?
Absolutely not. that is a very bad idea and it will effect what you hear

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing