Fabric or Leather Upholstery for Listening Chair?

What material do you like on your listening chair?

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
likely guilty as charged; a minor case at least ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Same. I prefer most the Roche Bobois cuddlemuffin, you can get two or three seater depending on size, even the two seater is almost seven feet wide, and both are deep, fabric, and great to sleep in too

This is the problem my wife and I always ran into: the sofas around 75", which is what we required, were usually two-seaters. This means that there is a seam running down the center which is not good for listening if I am alone and centered on the sofa. I was lucky to finally find a three seater that was short enough and small enough to fit through our small doors.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Who thinks a listening chair should be upholstered with fabric rather than with leather out of the concern that leather reflects sound?

Have you ever directly compared for listening purposes a fabric chair with a leather chair?

How did each material make the sound you heard at your ears appear different?

What type of chair and what type of upholstery material is your current listening chair?

If you are concerned about leather upholstery reflecting sound, does this concern go away with a low back on the chair or couch?

Ron, I am revisiting your thread after the installation of our new leather sofa in the listening room. DDK was right to not be concerned about the leather on such a big surface. It does not seem reflective at all. In fact, the fabric sofa it replaced was slightly more absorbent. I think I even prefer the sound in the room with the leather, but it is hard to say. There is certainly no reduction in sound quality with the leather.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
ideally fabric, but my new listening chair is leather. imo more importantly is not to have a head rest near your ears.

my recliner when reclined the head rest is below my ears. super comfortable which is even more important.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Leather and my preferred chair, Ekornes. Although I must admit late night listening sessions can be a challenge to stay awake ......

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I would use the same what I use in my car: Alcantara (Ultrasuede)

Matt

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am having good luck with an Eames lounge chair and a Mitchell Gold lounge chair.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing