Fabric or Leather Upholstery for Listening Chair?

What material do you like on your listening chair?

• Total voters

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If the question is switched to a three person sofa, would the same comments about fabric versus leather apply? I am wondering if a three person sofa in which only one person is sitting in the center might have sonic issues if it is leather due to reflections, but I really don’t know.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If the question is switched to a three person sofa, would the same comments about fabric versus leather apply? I am wondering if a three person sofa in which only one person is sitting in the center might have sonic issues if it is leather due to reflections, but I really don’t know.
conversely; a large fabric sofa, particularly one that is cushy, would be like a huge bass trap and would change tonality more than a typical 'modern' leather sofa. also depends of how close your ears are to the surface of the sofa. is it high backed? is it closed to the floor or is there clear space and air underneath? it's like 6 or 7 more people standing in the room.

Reactions: PeterA

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Comfort first.

Reactions: rubinken

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Whatever chair/sofa you chose becomes part of the room acoustics.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I have a large 3 person leather sofa. The back does not go above the shoulders. I have measued the effect of the reflection on the freq response by using pillows stuffed with shedded denim insulation.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
have a look at this chair Ron, I had the chance to test it on a new project and it’s unbelievably comfortable and stable
View attachment 70979
Looks like the inside of a yacht:) The chair also looks like its heavily weighted too.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Depends if you tend to sweat alot. I am a huge fan of mesh cloth chairs. If I could find an Eames styled chair in breathable mesh I would be in heaven. I like my rooms colder than most, I am usually sweating balls when most are complaining of being cold, perfect room temp 65 Fahrenheit.
Fabric over leather for comfort all day long.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Slightly off topic. I definitely prefer a 3 seater rather 1 seater. I never find 1 seater comfortable. It is too constrained.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Slightly off topic. I definitely prefer a 3 seater rather 1 seater. I never find 1 seater comfortable. It is too constrained.
Agree.. it’s more inviting and you have the option to lay down and snooze between crescendos ...

Reactions: adyc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree.. it’s more inviting and you have the option to lay down and snooze between crescendos ...

Funny, except classical is exciting in the quieter moments too, like test cricket

Reactions: Mikem53

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Same. I prefer most the Roche Bobois cuddlemuffin, you can get two or three seater depending on size, even the two seater is almost seven feet wide, and both are deep, fabric, and great to sleep in too

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You should be concerned with absorption, I have never come across a reflective sofa even a minimalist one absorbs sound wether in leather or other covering materials. I prefer the look and feel of fine leather over textiles anytime.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I understand that. The other point, though, is that when I am on a couch I am fidgeting around with my exact seating position to make certain that I am centered on the couch vis-à-vis the midpoint of the speakers. (I think KeithR will confirm.)

If I am in a single, planted chair I don't have that concern.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I understand that. The other point, though, is that when I am on a couch I am fidgeting around with my exact seating position to make certain that I am centered on the couch vis-à-vis the midpoint of the speakers. (I think KeithR will confirm.)

If I am in a single, planted chair I don't have that concern.

Ron, if you are slightly off center, does the sound bother you? I appreciate a system where one does not need to be locked in to a precise location but can move a few few feet to one side and still have it sound good. A few inches certainly don't bother me when sitting in the center of a sofa.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You should be concerned with absorption, I have never come across a reflective sofa even a minimalist one absorbs sound wether in leather or other covering materials. I prefer the look and feel of fine leather over textiles anytime.

david

Thank you David. I've been realizing the detrimental effect that too much absorption can have on sound. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, if you are slightly off center, does the sound bother you? I appreciate a system where one does not need to be locked in to a precise location but can move a few few feet to one side and still have it sound good. A few inches certainly don't bother me when sitting in the center of a sofa.

Since I have had MartinLogan electrostatic speakers for 18 years I kind of automatically want to center myself, yes.

The other thing is that channel imbalance is something I am sensitive to and able to hear pretty easily.

If a vocalist is centered in the recording, then I find it a little bit offputting if the singer is not centered by the stereo, or by me not being centered on the couch.

Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Since I have had MartinLogan electrostatic speakers for 18 years I kind of automatically want to center myself, yes.

The other thing is that channel imbalance is something I am sensitive to and able to hear pretty easily.

If a vocalist is centered in the recording, then I find it a little bit offputting if the singer is not centered by the stereo, or by me not being centered on the couch.

I suppose I get that for girl with guitar type recordings and even the solo cell0 recordings I love. I've been listening to vocal recordings lately, some opera, some choral, where singers are not centered, or they actually move around the soundstage. With jazz and classical instrumental recordings, it is not a concern for me.

I don't want to get too far off the topic of your fabric/leather thread, but what about not sitting in a center seat at a concert hall? At the BSO, there is an empty aisle in the going up the center away from the stage. And when I went to jazz lounges I could not help but notice the sound of the singer's voice being projected down on the audience seated at their tables from a monitor centered up near the ceiling at the front of the stage. The sound was not connected to what I actually saw right in front of me. Very "off putting", as you say.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I suppose I get that for girl with guitar type recordings and even the solo cell0 recordings I love. I've been listening to vocal recordings lately, some opera, some choral, where singers are not centered, or they actually move around the soundstage. With jazz and classical instrumental recordings, it is not a concern for me.

I don't want to get too far off the topic of your fabric/leather thread, but what about not sitting in a center seat at a concert hall? At the BSO, there is an empty aisle in the going up the center away from the stage. And when I went to jazz lounges I could not help but notice the sound of the singer's voice being projected down on the audience seated at their tables from a monitor centered up near the ceiling at the front of the stage. The sound was not connected to what I actually saw right in front of me. Very "off putting", as you say.

If I am in a concert hall listening to a symphony orchestra performance I don't expect to hear a singular source like a vocal in the center.

At a cabaret venue with public address amplification the sound is all screwed up so the center vocal question is moot.

Ar a cabaret venue with an unamplified vocalist I don't think I care that much about hearing the vocalist in the center. But when we set it up as a stereo in a controlled environment for whatever reason I'm focused on a centered vocal image.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing