Favorite European Push Pull Tube amps of all Time

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Another thread got me thinking on this

Mine would be a tie between the Jadis EL34 based amplifiers and the Klimo Linnets.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
From the golden Era of Tubes Radford STA 15/25, very good iron in it measures itself extremely well. Best sound experience with Quad ESL 57 ever. You can use EL34/6550 Tubes.
Picture shows a restored Poweramp
04-New-STA25.jpg
02-New-STA25.jpg

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Audiomat Solfege Reference 20, it is the king of the modern age. 2 × 45 watts PushPull in Triode Mode 2x 25Watt switchable are a real pleasure listening to music.
Voices are guaranteed to give you goosebumps and have an incredibly good resolution.
when you search a great integrated amp really a good choice.
Not cheap at 8000€ but worth every penny of my opinion.
audiomat-solfege-reference-20.jpg
AUDIOMAT-Audiomat-Solfege-Reference-20-13.jpg
Audiomat-solfège-référence-20-face-arrière.png

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
When you need more Power Lumley Reference 120 , 44kg hard Iron
120Watt RMS at that time we measured significantly more 155 watts at 8 ohms.
A real power horse. 4x 6550 or KT 88 sounds great with Apogee Speakers.
Unfortunately, this company no longer exists since 1999. all lumley amps sound good even the smaller ones. Difficult to find who owns it no longer gives it up voluntarily.
1.jpeg
P.S. on Ebay:D not me

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
When you need more Power Lumley Reference 120 , 44kg hard Iron
120Watt RMS at that time we measured significantly more 155 watts at 8 ohms.
A real power horse. 4x 6550 or KT 88 sounds great with Apogee Speakers.
Unfortunately, this company no longer exists since 1999. all lumley amps sound good even the smaller ones. Difficult to find who owns it no longer gives it up voluntarily.
View attachment 75136
Hi Stephan.
With which Apogee models did you try them?
Do they also have a tap for lower impedances?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi Stephan.
With which Apogee models did you try them?
Do they also have a tap for lower impedances?
Good Morning,
4 Ohms Tap Lumley, Apogee Scintilla i think they are rewired seriell 4 ohms not like newer Models are 1 Ohms parallel.
It's been too long 20 years ago, I don't know exactly anymore
IMGP1350.jpg

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Good Morning,
4 Ohms Tap Lumley, Apogee Scintilla i think they are rewired seriell 4 ohms not like newer Models are 1 Ohms parallel.
It's been too long 20 years ago, I don't know exactly anymore
View attachment 75139
Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately the Apogee Scintilla doesn't even sound half as good in 4 ohm wiring than they do in 1 ohm wiring.
Very muffled and dull in comparison.

The later Scintillas were 1 ohm only with wider traces on the bass panels and that sounded even better than the older Scintillas in 1 ohm wiring :cool:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi Christoph,
if you want total control then only this will help..hihi
Audio Research D400Mk2 or Bartolomeo Referenza D100
786219-6f88e530-audio-research-d400-mkii-power-amplifier.jpg Bartolomeo-Aloia-Referenza-D-100-Weltklasse-Class-A-Endstufe.jpg
Sorry no tubes..sounds like tubes

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Christoph,
if you want total control then only this will help..hihi
Audio Research D400Mk2 or Bartolomeo Referenza D100
View attachment 75141 View attachment 75142
Sorry no tubes..sounds like tubes
Not to bring this any further OT but the Lamm M1.1 hybrid monos sounded heavenly on the 1 ohm Scintillas :cool:

OK, back to Push Pull now :oops:
Is the Audiomat Solfege Reference 20 really that good?

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Not to bring this any further OT but the Lamm M1.1 hybrid monos sounded heavenly on the 1 ohm Scintillas :cool:

OK, back to Push Pull now :oops:
Is the Audiomat Solfege Reference 20 really that good?
ok .. i understand you have a good power amplifier. ;)
The Audiomat manages the tightrope walk well with high resolution and musicality.
Many amplifiers sound analytically tonally bright at high resolution, the Audiomat does it not,Voices sound full in tone and have body, when you close your Eyes you think it's really real person in front of you in the room.
That makes him special to me i heard it with a Blumenhofer FS3 horn loudspeaker and with a Reference 3a MM dacapo.
For me it was a real surprise how good the Audiomat Amp is, if you have the opportunity, listen to it and judge for yourself.

P.S If I can only take an integrated amplifier with me on an island, I would choose the Audiomat.
Forgotten !, music tip listen it with the Audiomat you get goosebumbs immediately :p

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
For me it was a real surprise how good the Audiomat Amp is, if you have the opportunity, listen to it and judge for yourself.

If I can only take an integrated amplifier with me on an island, I would choose the Audiomat.
Have you ever heard or even compared any of the KR Audio amps?
I really love my VA 350(i) and my Kronzilla :cool:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
No...not heard at home yet. Only German Highend the rooms usually don't sound really good

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
From the golden Era of Tubes Radford STA 15/25, very good iron in it measures itself extremely well. Best sound experience with Quad ESL 57 ever. You can use EL34/6550 Tubes.
Picture shows a restored Poweramp
View attachment 75074
View attachment 75075

Great with tannoys too. Shines with original mullard valves.

Not sure second picture is an sta 15/25. Looks more like sta 100..?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:
Reactions: jespera

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Audiomat Solfege Reference 20, it is the king of the modern age. 2 × 45 watts PushPull in Triode Mode 2x 25Watt switchable are a real pleasure listening to music.
Voices are guaranteed to give you goosebumps and have an incredibly good resolution.
I’d love to talk about Audiomat.

I bought the Arpege first and a couple of years later I bought the Prelude Reference MKII. The Arpege has worked beautifully with my small Spendor S3/5 speakers, in fact sometimes the two make magic together. I’ve just put it in my TV system where it replaces and sounds better than my vintage Pioneer SX-1050 stere receiver.

The Prelude is the prize in my living room system. I’ve owned it since about 2005. I occasionally think about trading up but most people are quite impressed with my system and suggest I could just upgrade some of the component parts, resisters, capacitors, etc.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
View attachment 75090
View attachment 75091
View attachment 75092
Do you feel like talking about the Solfège? I’m quite interested in buying it. Actually I already own the Audiomat Arpege, which I bought first. Then I was offered the Audiomat Prelude Reference MKII barely used at a very good price and I bought it. Now I’ve got the itch to upgrade and the Solfège is recommended. Unfortunately, I am finding the reviews very scarce and not entirely flattering. Can you offer me any confidence in making this big step?
My speakers are Quad ESL-63 and everyone who listens to my system likes it very much but I am sure it could be bettered. Will the Solfège make it that much better? My favorite music is opera and classical. I pretty much live in the mid part-range with violin guitar piano and vocals very much preferred. But I do listen to a wide range of music too.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I know the soflége well, ran at a friend. tw acoustic turntable with dynvector xv 1s innovative audio phono with blumenhofer speaker. very detailed sound excellent 3d image with a shot of warmth. I would not buy the soflége unless it is extremely cheap. i don't think there will be much progress because the audiomat amplifiers have the same house sound from the vote.
rather invest your money in a cartridge dynavector xx2 mkII or xv1s. perfect match with audiomat sound my tip

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My top might be EAR Yoshino 509 by the legend himself. Not a tube amp guy, but damn.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I know the soflége well, ran at a friend. tw acoustic turntable with dynvector xv 1s innovative audio phono with blumenhofer speaker. very detailed sound excellent 3d image with a shot of warmth. I would not buy the soflége unless it is extremely cheap. i don't think there will be much progress because the audiomat amplifiers have the same house sound from the vote.
rather invest your money in a cartridge dynavector xx2 mkII or xv1s. perfect match with audiomat sound my tip
Nice to hear from someone who knows the Solfège. Are you saying that all the Audiomats sound very similar? That there is not much sense in upgrading to a more expensive version??

I have the original Audiomat Arpege and the Audiomat Prelude Reference MKII. I had decided just a few days ago not to buy the Solfege because it would have been too financially painful. And the Prelude sounds really good with my Quad ESL-63 speakers so I don’t really need to do more. But I did think there would be a big difference. Apparently not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing