Favorite Rolex?

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I was in the watch Industry for a few years and worked for the largest pre-owned site on the web.
The watches you want to own are Stainless Steel sport watches,
Submariners, Daytona's, Sky dwellers, deep sea and last but not least date just. The precious metal watches do not hold their values nor do the two tone watches,
Daytona watches routinely sell for over the list price and the recent sky dwellers in SS are selling for 4-8k over list pre owned.
Which one you like is up to you.
Or any stainless steel watch from Patek or AP. They have gone up in value like crazy.
Full gold Rolex depreciate as badly as a Merc 65 AMG...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, Doc, and 2 seconds a day is better than pretty much any other mechanical watch manufacturer unless you want quartz.

Personally I own an Apple Watch which I bet keeps better time than any Rolex , Hublot or Richard Mille

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Personally I own an Apple Watch which I bet keeps better time than any Rolex , Hublot or Richard Mille

Steve, I'm not going to argue mechanical watches vs smart watches- ironically the same people told us quartz Casios were superior in the 80s. If you don't like mechanical watches that's fine, but why are you crapping on a thread about one?

Let's just agree to disagree.

Reactions: christoph

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I find the new ones too shiny. I much prefer the vintage ones like this Submariner that I bought almost 40 years ago. I barely wear it as I switched to more formal watches long time ago.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Keith

take a deep breath. I am not crapping on mechanical watches.I expressed my preference for Rolex.I own a Submariner and my son owns the special one made from a meteorite. My comment was that I don't like the accuracy of their time keeping and feel there are better. I wear mine when I go out or TBH I always wear my Apple watch but use my iPhone for time as well. The world is changing and very expensive watches are bling first and foremost before they are even considered a time piece

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Keith

take a deep breath. I am not crapping on mechanical watches.I expressed my preference for Rolex.I own a Submariner and my son owns the special one made from a meteorite. My comment was that I don't like the accuracy of their time keeping and feel there are better. I wear mine when I go out or TBH I always wear my Apple watch but use my iPhone for time as well. The world is changing and very expensive watches are bling first and foremost before they are even considered a time piece

Watches are basically men's equivalent to jewelry. Nothing wrong with that.
I appricate the workmanship that has gone into them.
But when they drift to far away from their "tool-like" purpose, like Hublot and don't have an horological purpose it's in my opionion just jewelry.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
My comment was that I don't like the accuracy of their time keeping and feel there are better.
Nobody wears a Rolex just for time keeping. It's fashion,, sense of style ...

I've accumulated 3 Rolexes over the years. With change in life style and cell phones, haven't wore a watch for years. My favorite is the stainless steel Submariner.

Reactions: K3RMIT

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Steve I doubt anyone doubts that most watches are dresser queens at this point. The topic is what do you appreciate from Rolex right now.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have had a two tone blue submariner for 35 years and someday will purchase a gold Daytona. They are not my favorite watch for accuracy, but they do go up in value.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The only time I did wear a watch I liked it on my right arm, and I'm right handed. Maybe I wouldn't hate that watch on me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
my wife's favorite Rolex Datejust II - Blue Roman.jpg

Steve Williams

Steve I doubt anyone doubts that most watches are dresser queens at this point. The topic is what do you appreciate from Rolex right now.

FWIW, I collect watches and now have over 20 vintage in my collection. So to KeithR I am a believer in mechanical watches. They just don't keep great time but to me they are investments that appreciate with time (no pun intended). Mine are all under glass and well preserved. I have a Submariner

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wore my yellow gold bracelet black mother of pearl Daytona fairly regularly for about 10 years. I tried to be pretty conscious about protecting it and pretty careful with it, but in the course of daily use inevitably there is a little bit of wear and tear in terms of scratches and nicks.

I didn’t realize you’re supposed to have these things serviced every few years. Finally in London I had it serviced and I had it fully polished.

Now it looks literally brand new to me. And now I’m disinclined to wear it because I do not want to get it scratched up again!

Does anyone make a decent quality (meaning it’s made out of metal and it keeps time and it’s not an obvious piece of plastic crap) replica of a Rolex Daytona?

Steve Williams

Does anyone make a decent quality (meaning it’s made out of metal and it keeps time and it’s not an obvious piece of plastic crap) replica of a Rolex Daytona?

Ron

that is the biggest racket going. Do a google search of imitation watches . They make them all. I have an imitation of mine and side by side you would be hard pressed to pick out the real vs the knockoff. As I posted earlier my watch collection is all "cherry" and under glass.

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I did do quite a bit of Google searching, and I found two companies in Switzerland which purport to make good Rolex replicas, and I found numerous reports of those companies being complete and utter frauds.

Which company makes the replica you have?

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I like the looks of GMT Batman and the most recent Yachtmaster 40 Steel. Twice I’ve gone to put down a deposit and twice I’ve backed away after actually handling the watch, which from a tactile standpoint feels quite cheap. While the materials of the watch are no doubt good, the strap feels rather ‘sharp edged’ and unfinished. Match that with the lack of refinement and decoration on the case and I simply can’t justify spending the sort of ££££., especially when I know how much of the price goes into the jeweller’s pocket (like any premium watch). The difference is that you can get no discount on a modern Rolex (unlike the days of old when they were highly discounted). Rolex and Porche are the current masters at controlling supply so demand outstrips availability, allowing them to charge premium prices.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing