Favorite Rolex?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Are other brands apart from Rolex also allowed in this thread?

Reactions: KeithR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats!! A thing of beauty!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Here’s a non-Rolex post which has some linkage to Rolex. Zenith have just released a sports chrono which looks rather like a Rolex Daytona. The subtle irony here being Zenith used to supply movements to Rolex for earlier Daytona production runs.
1612719808341.png

Reactions: carolus and ddk

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Here’s a non-Rolex post which has some linkage to Rolex. Zenith have just released a sports chrono which looks rather like a Rolex Daytona. The subtle irony here being Zenith used to supply movements to Rolex for earlier Daytona production runs.
Ricardo F has/had a Daytona.

BruceD

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Arguably Tudor is Rolex’s design skunkworks and I rather like this one more than the present day Rolex GMT on jubillee bracelet. I did have one of Tudor’s bronze black bay models and it was a lovely watch in many respects.

1612862951109.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My favorite watch:
Oris Calibre 111 hand wound with 10 days reserve :cool:
1612864024788.png

Reactions: wisnon and PeterA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This one is rose gold. But with light reflection it could look black half the ring. Very interesting color. Look exceptional on a female wrist with light skin. 41 mm Rolex looks much cooler on chic than on a dude these days.

EFD74DF7-60FA-47C5-89C5-6B122E0C9323.jpeg

Reactions: Sablon Audio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice stuff those rolexes , i flirted with the idea of buying one many times.
But seriously you had a gang in the netherlands who were specialized in stealing rolexes
Mine would be all bling bling if i would ever buy one :)

In practice i have a samsung smartwatch i will buy a garmin next very practical for sports / when travelling
1612879404267.png

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Watch theft is pretty rife in Central / West London. I heard that a gang in Bond Street were slashing the tendons of people’s arms to get their watches off more easily.

• Wow
Reactions: howiebrou

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In practice i have a samsung smartwatch i will buy a garmin next very practical for sports / when travelling
I am ahead of you. I have been wearing a garmin. :)

Reactions: andromedaaudio

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I became fascinated with the Rolex brand as a kid when I noticed an Oyster on my uncle's wrist and got him to tell me the Rolex story. He had it on when he bailed out of an Army transport plane at night over the Pacific on his way home from WWII. He lived to tell about it, while his Rolex kept on ticking. Rolex makes nice watches, but they (and also Omegas) don't get along with me. Both of mine had unreliable self winding mechanisms. Serviced multiple times to no avail. My last one stopped, causing me to miss a flight. I've had an electronic Baume & Mercier Riviera now for about 25 years. Superb, reliable, handsome watch.... and it doesn't shred my shirt cuffs.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I have only ever had problems with two watches. One was a Rolex which had been customised, based on an older used model, and the other was a Patek. Fortunately both issues were covered under warranty however the Patek was returned as inaccurate a timekeeper as before. Quite a few manufacturers are offering extended warranties these days eg IWC and Panerai at 8 years which is reassuring for buyers and presumably indicates that they don't anticipate any faults.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
My first 'nice'watch was bought with my first pay check, an Omega Seamaster automatic. Went diving one month later and it leaked. Brought it to Omega and they said they would fix it. I said not with seawater inside you won't and it's brand new I want a new one. They refused until I contacted the Swiss HQ......

Reactions: cmchan

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Which is your favorite Rolex, and why?

I am not into watches at all, but for some reason I find the Rolex Daytona in yellow gold with the black (really shimmery purple) mother of pearl dial totally beautiful!
01952270-36D5-42E6-916C-9FB85CEFF29B.jpeg

Because this one looks good with jeans.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You might revisit Rolex - I did not like them for years, but Rolex is now one of the best watchmakers, period. All of their materials are even made in-house - 904 steel is exceptional material.

1. Rolex is now within 2 seconds a day - the newer 3255 movement is one of the most accurate in the world. My IWCs dream of that accuracy despite the nice finished movements.

2. Hublot is a bling watch, sorry, and horologically uninteresting.

Richard Mille is now the "opulent" and hotly debated brand - their pieces are $100k to over $1mm!

View attachment 48988
Patek is KING though...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing