Favorite Rolex?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Only interesting story about Rolex I have (I used to live walking distance to the Gold HQ building in Acasias and later to the Black Buildings in Plan-les-Ouates) is that I got to wear the ORIGINAL prototype of the Daytona 2 for about and hour several years ago. I think its is the only one with a glass back. I know the designer of it and he let me try it on at a music festival.

I prefer the Rolesiuum though, which his wife wore. She worn the men's size as she hated small face watches.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Casio makes calculators as well as inexpensive watches that keep very accurate time. Battery operated
Watches are allowable pieces of jewelry for men of a certain age...as long as they keep decent time, no harm, no foul.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My favorite watch:
Oris Calibre 111 hand wound with 10 days reserve :cool:
View attachment 74748

Very nice. It reminds me of the dials on the dashboard of my old 1971 911T. Loved the car and this watch would have looked great on my wrist while gripping that steering wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Very nice. It reminds me of the dials on the dashboard of my old 1971 911T. Loved the car and this watch would have looked great on my wrist while gripping that steering wheel.
My neighbor and I have been courting me buying his 1972 911T, he's the original owner. When did you sell that Peter?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
And therein lies the problem of Rolex watches- they keep terrible time!. Traded my Rolex in for a bass guitar decades ago and never looked back. An iphone keeps better time than any Rolex!
LoL....Pride of ownership Marty. Pride is a hell of a thing. I has to switch to iPhone recently. Hate it! Prefer Samsung.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My neighbor and I have been courting me buying his 1972 911T, he's the original owner. When did you sell that Peter?

Jeff, just get it. Those cars are awesome. I sold mine in about 1998. I didn’t have a good parking place for it in New England. Mine was silver with black leather Targa.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It's one of my motivations for building the dedicated music room. I get a garage back.
A win-win-win situation!
You should go for it :cool:

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I love the look of the Daytona, but way too small and dainty for my likes.
Sold mine after a month cause it looked like a midsize watch on my wrist.
Now if they offered it in a 43mm-45mm - Yes!

Reactions: christoph

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The Rolex keeps terrible time is an old story when Rolex wasn't using their own movements. All mechanical watches keep worse time than an I phone or a quartz watch FACT. They use in house movements today and they keep really good time but still not what a quartz watch does. Rolex watches were mostly 36mm when we were kids. They have gone to 40mm or 41mm in almost all the men's watches today with the exception of Deep Sea which is their larges case size at 44mm and the Sky Dwellers which are 42mm.
I don't think they keep in general as good time as a Patek or a Vacheron but its not that far apart. Rolex is however one of the top two at keeping thier value and a lot of the flashy watches like Hublot and Richard Mille do not.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Rolex keeps terrible time is an old story when Rolex wasn't using their own movements. All mechanical watches keep worse time than an I phone or a quartz watch FACT. They use in house movements today and they keep really good time but still not what a quartz watch does. Rolex watches were mostly 36mm when we were kids. They have gone to 40mm or 41mm in almost all the men's watches today with the exception of Deep Sea which is their larges case size at 44mm and the Sky Dwellers which are 42mm.
I don't think they keep in general as good time as a Patek or a Vacheron but its not that far apart. Rolex is however one of the top two at keeping thier value and a lot of the flashy watches like Hublot and Richard Mille do not.

I think with most modern Rolexes at +/-2.0 seconds, the timekeeping is not much of an issue. One can always get better time with a spring drive movement but so far Grand Seiko is not keeping up with Rolex in resale value.

That said, I would love to have a Grand Seiko because I love the finishing of them and I do think they are a bargain for quality.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think with most modern Rolexes at +/-2.0 seconds, the timekeeping is not much of an issue. One can always get better time with a spring drive movement but so far Grand Seiko is not keeping up with Rolex in resale value.

That said, I would love to have a Grand Seiko because I love the finishing of them and I do think they are a bargain for quality.
Grand Seiko is a great watch just doesn't have the prestige or snob appeal. I love the new 43 MM IWC Big Pilot and I used to collect Vacheron and Patek watches. Vacheron Overseas has the coolest bracelets and Patek's are just stupid priced these days which was once good for me and now I can't afford them LOL. I love the Nautilus and the Aquanaut however as I said they are crazy priced.

Reactions: Lee

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My 2020 Sub keeps pretty good time, far better than the Patek Aquanaut Jumbo I used to own. Let’s be honest though - few of us buy these things for 7 sigma accuracy, is more about appearance and ticking a bucket list of things to own.

For me, the standout new 2021 models announced yesterday were the Newman-esq Tudor chrono and the Hermes H08.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Not a Rolex per- se, but a "sub" brand.....
IMG_20210407_185538505.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing