Favorite Rolex?

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I alternate between this 1016 from 1969.
IMG_6384.JPG

...and this 16610 from 1999.

Img_8107sm.jpg

Question...where does one sell vintage Rolex watches these days? I once used Rolexforum, but that site seems to have gone out of favor.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: wisnon

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Only Rolex, that I REALLY like. Rolesium...
Yachtmaster Platinum :
1655815335319.png

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Rolex changes the way business will be done in the future? Vertically integrated...

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Wempe is certainly a quality seller but nowhere near as prominent in UK as WoS.
I know but Watches of Switz, Wempe and Bucherer are the three largest retailers. Rolex bought Bucherer and it will change for everyone now going foward. Allocations will of course favor their own stores

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I know but Watches of Switz, Wempe and Bucherer are the three largest retailers. Rolex bought Bucherer and it will change for everyone now going foward. Allocations will of course favor their own stores

The official line is that Rolex bought out Bucherer due to their longstanding relationship and because there wasn’t an heir to the B business, rather than a vertical integration motivation to take control over distribution.

None of this however changes the fact that demand massively outstrips their production capacity or that Rolex remains a charitable institution rather than a regular corporate.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The official line is that Rolex bought out Bucherer due to their longstanding relationship and because there wasn’t an heir to the B business, rather than a vertical integration motivation to take control over distribution.

None of this however changes the fact that demand massively outstrips their production capacity or that Rolex remains a charitable institution rather than a regular corporate.
I dont believe that do you?
The watch industry is consolidating more each year and this to me is an example fo a very cash rich company wanting to control distribution and allocations to benefit themselves. May be I am wrong we shall see.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I’m not sure Elliot. Ultimately if you have an excess of demand and a liquid grey market with premium pricing, then the easiest response would be to raise your sales prices, either ex-factory or rrp.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I’m not sure Elliot. Ultimately if you have an excess of demand and a liquid grey market with premium pricing, then the easiest response would be to raise your sales prices, either ex-factory or rrp.
used to work with Federico, I agree with his thoughts and they align with mine LOL

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
used to work with Federico, I agree with his thoughts and they align with mine LOL
The prices will go up but so will supply. As he said Rolex is now on the hook directly and they now have real money interest in the consumer end. You will get the watch of your choice at higher MSRP than current without significant wait. This will negatively affect the gray market as customers who want new with warranty and no stories will pay the premium. That is also part of the Rolex strategy, no rogue ADs. My current favorite bought in 2018 before the madness below list.
IMG_1938.jpeg

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Which is your favorite Rolex, and why?

I am not into watches at all, but for some reason I find the Rolex Daytona in yellow gold with the black (really shimmery purple) mother of pearl dial totally beautiful!
I have never really been convinced about Rolex. In the late 60's Omega was the go to watch; both technically and innovation it was way ahead of the competition. Rolex set out to be the premier aspirational luxury watch for the 'average man". It launched an aggressive marketing campaign which it has consistently maintained and certainly achieved its objective in spades. . Its hallmark is its quality of engineering, consistency of design and the fact that it is now one of the few fully vertically integrated watch companies which enables it to exercise superlative quality control. From a business perspective i admire its achievements but not from an horological perspective (Omega, Grand Seiko and Jaeger Le Coultre have more to offer).

If I was going to select one model to purchase then It would be the Explorer One; simple design, marriage of form and function without unnecessary distractions, a perfect 'tool watch'. And it will hold its value.

Long Live Analog

Aug 8, 2022
West Tn. Mid South
My favorite Rolex would be the one my father gave me when I turned 40. It’s a President that he bought new in the 80’s. I’ve got a stainless and black Daytona that I bought when I graduated high school in 1980 and a stainless Submariner I bought in the 1990’s. My fav watch to wear is a Seiko automatic diver and Seiko PADI diver.

Reactions: JackD201

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hope the Bucherer purchase scares the arrogance out of those %&(^%*(&!! ADs who probably thought the bubble would never burst. Well it looks like the bubble has popped as used prices have dropped and for now continue to do so. Take that! Wahahahaha!

I'm not a Rolex zealot. My most used is an Explorer II. Followed by a MAD Explorer II. My favorite is a WG Daytona Panda with arabic numerals and red sub dial hands that I picked up second hand in Ginza a long time ago. I'm a chunky dude and for my wrist and hand size I like watches between 38 and 40mm most. I also like Omegas and have a moon phase speedmaster, a titanium seamaster and a ceramic double black seamaster 300.

I have a fixation on steel IWC Portugiesers. I really started collecting with these as these were what I deemed best among what I could afford in my late 20's and early 30s. I still collect them :) Ultimately my favorites are Patek and Lange complications. Chronos' and Travel Times. Ironically......

These days it can be very dangerous to travel with expensive watches. That's where my Seiko SKX/Samurai Blood Moon custom job comes in. For less than an interconnect LOL this watch has gone with me to 3 other continents. It was put together by a young Korean American watch smith and cost is kept low because no donor watches are required. It turns out Seiko has a bunch of smiths all over the world that they give access to practically every part in their inventory. His channel on youtube is called lume shot. I basically asked him to make me his usual Blood Moon as shown in one of his videos but went with another dial from one of his other builds.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: Long Live Analog

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
I have a weakness for GMT watches, i.e. with a second time zone. The Rolex Sky-Dweller is one of them, which still has a very high second-hand price. Therefore, I wear them only on special occasions.Technically excellent and visually a work of art.

The ring command bezel alone, with which the second time zone, day and month and the rest can be controlled, is unique.

From a business perspective i admire its achievements but not from an horological perspective (Omega, Grand Seiko and Jaeger Le Coultre have more to offer).

Exactly! For daily use, I wear a GMT Grand Seiko Elegance Collection with the Sh?sho dial: the warm wind creates delicate ripples on the thousands of lakes and ponds that shimmer in the early summer sun throughout Japan.

I have never seen a better dial. I especially like reading the time now. Sorry for OT, but a picture must be. :)

audioguy3107

Jul 30, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
If I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with the Cosmograph Daytona in platinum.......it's a little flashy but sharp.

1693052037058.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing