Favourite "SIMPLE" sandwich!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Talking about british food, I learned and liked (as a teenager) the world's simplest sandwich there. Slice of white bread, spread (sweet) butter and sprinkle some sugar on it and that is it!!! Europeans sure have simpler sandwiches than us in US. I am reminded of bread with Brie cheese in it as I would visit Amsterdam for our yearly show.

Cucumber sandwiches and tea are great too. For me at least it is for the next 30 minutes until I'm hungry again. I need protein! :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If we are talking truly simple sandwiches, it doesn't get much better than an old fashioned peanut butter and jelly. I like mine on wheat or rye bread. I can't go a whole week without eating one. I also like PBJ with the bread toasted. It brings a whole new flavor to the table.

It it's grilled cheese, I use whole wheat bread and Land of Lakes white American cheese. That and a bowl of tomato soup makes a great wintertime snack. If you want to try a variation with your grilled cheese, after you pull your grilled cheese off of the griddle, spread your favorite jelly/jam on top. Trust me, it's really good.

I'm convinced that the best lunch meats in the country start in south Philly and work their up from there to south Jersey and on up to the rest of the east coast. However, if you want the best "real deal" Italian Hoagies and Cheese Steak Hoagies, they don't exist outside of south Philly and south Jersey. The roll they use to make cheese steaks and all of the rest of their hoagies doesn't exist outside of that area and that roll is what makes the sandwich. You could even walk into a Wa Wa convenience store in south Jersey and they will make you a real Italian Hoagie sandwich that will blow anything else away that pretends to be an Italian Hoagie anywhere else west of NJ. And yes, Wa Wa has the correct and delicious Italian rolls. Probably if you are in California, they would put goat cheese and alfalfa sprouts on your Italian Hoagie and it would come on a sour dough roll. They can never leave well enough alone when it comes to food in California. They aren't happy unless they foo-foo your food up.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Slice of white bread, spread (sweet) butter and sprinkle some sugar on it and that is it!!!

I totally used to eat that when I was a kid!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Talking about british food, I learned and liked (as a teenager) the world's simplest sandwich there. Slice of white bread, spread (sweet) butter and sprinkle some sugar on it and that is it!!! Europeans sure have simpler sandwiches than us in US. I am reminded of bread with Brie just cheese in it as I would visit Amsterdam for our yearly show. A fancy sandwich was baggett with a slice of cheese and a slice of tomato or ham. They are usually shocked when they see us put half a pound of stuff in our "hoagies." :D

Amir! My God you brought up a sandwich that I was brought up on. Bread, butter and sugar! We were 8 in our household and couldn't quite afford the wonderful things we take for granted today, but a "sugar sandwich" always brought a smile to our faces. Thank you for bringing this up! My memory bank is going into overdrive now! :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Slice of white bread, spread (sweet) butter and sprinkle some sugar on it and that is it!!!

Well, for you guys that will admit to eating sugar on buttered bread, I will share another secret with you that is really good. Take a favorite slice of your bread and toast it. After it pops out of the toaster, spread it with peanut butter and sprinkle brown sugar on the top. After you finish, repeat the above directions because you can't eat only one slice.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I'm gathering you are Dutch ......I am as well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No, mostly an eastern european mutt, but I grew up in New Jersey.

Cool. The name threw me as "klein" means small in Dutch...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm convinced that the best lunch meats in the country start in south Philly and work their up from there to south Jersey and on up to the rest of the east coast. However, if you want the best "real deal" Italian Hoagies and Cheese Steak Hoagies, they don't exist outside of south Philly and south Jersey. The roll they use to make cheese steaks and all of the rest of their hoagies doesn't exist outside of that area and that roll is what makes the sandwich. You could even walk into a Wa Wa convenience store in south Jersey and they will make you a real Italian Hoagie sandwich that will blow anything else away that pretends to be an Italian Hoagie anywhere else west of NJ. And yes, Wa Wa has the correct and delicious Italian rolls. Probably if you are in California, they would put goat cheese and alfalfa sprouts on your Italian Hoagie and it would come on a sour dough roll. They can never leave well enough alone when it comes to food in California. They aren't happy unless they foo-foo your food up.
I have to agree with that. The best sandwiches I have had by far were the ones that I had when I lived on the east coast. I lived in Florida and we had some amazing subs there (heritage of new yorkers moving down there to set up shop). I have real fond memories of eating sandwiches there. Nothing on the west coast brings those memories for me.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can't speak to or address what's best in sandwiches or deli meats in the U.S., but I'll tell you this.......Montreal has some of the best Deli's on the continent. And Italian you say...come to Little Italy in Toronto. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better Veal sandwich anywhere.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't speak to or address what's best in sandwiches or deli meats in the U.S., but I'll tell you this.......Montreal has some of the best Deli's on the continent. And Italian you say...come to Little Italy in Toronto. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better Veal sandwich anywhere.
The ethnicity in Toronto rivals NY in my view so it is not surprising that it would also have the same great traits with respect to food.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In Quebec they have the best hot chicken sandwiches (with green peas and hot chicken sauce) on the continent.
And you can order it with a poutine, in the same plate.
Montreal of course has the reputation for their smoked meat sandwiches. ...And those are thick (3" high) at some places.

Vancouver has some sandwich restaurants that are owned by Montrealers, with chefs (cooks) from Montreal too. ...Davie street.

But Montreal is the real deal. ...And I'm sure New York as well.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If you live somewhere with lots of Italians and lots of Jewish people, you will have good delis.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Peameal bacon sandwiches are often considered to be a signature dish of Toronto
20110203-135999-peameal-bacon-sandwich-thumb-500x375-138035.jpg
Also the Chicken sandwich trio at Cocorico on St Laurent in Montreal(Portuguese grill)
Sandwich's made in front of you with the delicious paprika sauce
tumblr_lztzn6ATTp1r3umio.jpg
restaurant-rotisserie-coco-rico-263436744.jpg
And off course Schwartz's next door from Cocorico http://schwartzsdeli.com/
gallery31.jpg

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ham, salami, romaine lettuce, tomato, kalamata olives, a splash of oil & vinegar, black pepper, on grainy wheat bread.

Tim

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Duck rillettes spread on a great crusty baguette.
I always get this at Les Halles after I see my cardiologist at NYU.....:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If you want a sub made from really low-grade lunch meats and terrible yeasty tasting breads, Subway is your dream come true. Every time I go to Philly or south Jersey, I'm always amazed that Subway could even open up a store and stay in business. Ditto for Auntie Ann's pretzels in Philly. There is nothing quite like a Philly soft pretzel.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Smoked Salmon isn't just for bagels with cream cheese, onions and capers.

Whether you use leftover roast beef or have it sliced (rare for me please) from your local market, a few slices of Smoked Salmon added to it makes for a wonderful combination. Add some lettuce, perhaps some thinly sliced onion and tomatoes and a good mustard on the bread of your choice (mine is Rye).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing