Fedex - Customs problem

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Last month, I sent my SME 3009 tonearm to Scotland for full service and it was shipped back to me on April 29 via Interparcel [FedEx]. It is the earliest 3009 model with the rare S3 headshell and Ortofon SPU.

The package is being delayed at the Memphis, TN, FedEx office. I called FedEx yesterday, they said that the issue for clearance delay - Import Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.).

The shipping invoice is very clear: Tonearm and book. Reason for export: return.

Customer support emailed me a CBP 5106 form and told me to mail it back to Fedex, I did it this morning but I still do not understand why I had to fill a three page form, that I was unable to fully understand since I am not in the importing business. I did not understand the trade lingo and abbreviations, more complicated than the Federal Tax Return form. Could it be that the declared value of the shipment was too high at £700? I'll be more than happy to pay import duty but FedEx did not ask for payment.

Since 1976 I have been buying audio equipment from the UK [Quads, Linn, Michel, NAIM, Wilson Benesch...] more valuable than a used SME 3009 and I never had to fill a form or had any problems. Last January I received my SME 3012 that was rewired by the same person in Edinburgh but it came via USPS without insurance, it was risky but fast and without problems.

My Garrard 401 is being rebuilt in the UK and I'm afraid to have problems with Fedex-Customs again but using USPS is risky since my deck costs $1,8K.

I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers,

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Very very briefly, "B" Word + "C" Word = Maybe someone dropped the ball on return shipping side, but I'd bet they purposely shifted the, typically well managed in (normal) modern times, import service handled by major carriers into a realm that it could actually be sorted out in.

Expect this type of affair to become more common and something you should discuss with the person/company. If you want a horror story try looking up DHL in Canada. Shipper and timing and orchestration of paperwork can make a big difference. I'd take a weekly stock of who's fell less afoul of red tape and/or infrastructure woes in both countries before allowing anything onto air or ground freight.

Royal Mail (UK) all the way through customs right up to domestic pickup by USPS is currently astounding. Domestic shipping across state lines from a high volume retailer with USPS comes with no tracking updates and a month or better wait. Fedex is usually the better international option for packages coming into the US over last year or better. Put all that together and you are probably best off spending a few dollars on an actual Import/Export freight carrier or service who shapes contracts for consumer shipping and logistics across multiple carriers.

Last edited:

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I have an audio item stuck in customs or lost now for a month (DHL), I don't know what to do. Luckily, the Dealer is top notch and taking care of the situation but you are not alone.

Overall, this whole COVID situation and increased shipping volumes have created issues for all the major carriers. I just received my new speakers and the MFG wanted to ship them in 4 separate boxes across the country via Fedex. I was like ehhh, I will pay whatever it takes to strap them to a pallet and ship them freight. It only cost $200 more, well worth it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Last month, I sent my SME 3009 tonearm to Scotland for full service and it was shipped back to me on April 29 via Interparcel [FedEx]. It is the earliest 3009 model with the rare S3 headshell and Ortofon SPU.

The package is being delayed at the Memphis, TN, FedEx office. I called FedEx yesterday, they said that the issue for clearance delay - Import Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.).

The shipping invoice is very clear: Tonearm and book. Reason for export: return.

Customer support emailed me a CBP 5106 form and told me to mail it back to Fedex, I did it this morning but I still do not understand why I had to fill a three page form, that I was unable to fully understand since I am not in the importing business. I did not understand the trade lingo and abbreviations, more complicated than the Federal Tax Return form. Could it be that the declared value of the shipment was too high at £700? I'll be more than happy to pay import duty but FedEx did not ask for payment.

Since 1976 I have been buying audio equipment from the UK [Quads, Linn, Michel, NAIM, Wilson Benesch...] more valuable than a used SME 3009 and I never had to fill a form or had any problems. Last January I received my SME 3012 that was rewired by the same person in Edinburgh but it came via USPS without insurance, it was risky but fast and without problems.

My Garrard 401 is being rebuilt in the UK and I'm afraid to have problems with Fedex-Customs again but using USPS is risky since my deck costs $1,8K.

Cheers,
The form was supposed to be replaced back in 2017 and they never did but it wasn't in use since. The current administration put it back in circulation last month as part of their new tax plan. It's a stupid and overly complicated form and everyone is obliged to comply, the problem is with our government nothing to do with Fedex or the shipper.

david

rando

Sep 22, 2019
we import a lot but I never saw this it implemented until last month.

The line between commerical and private entity was interesting element here as normally UPS et al consider their action as importer service part of their rate. Similarly they separate deliveries and acceptable addresses to make them to. Interesting to know in any case.

Last edited:

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
The form was supposed to be replaced back in 2017 and they never did but it wasn't in use since. The current administration put it back in circulation last month as part of their new tax plan. It's a stupid and overly complicated form and everyone is obliged to comply, the problem is with our government nothing to do with Fedex or the shipper.

david
David,

I would be very appreciative if you would recommend a small broker for small transactions just like mine.

Best regards,

Horacio

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I shipped some reel motors to Switzerland last year for repair and used a international freight forwarder who packed and shipped the item by Fedex. I had to fill out several forms,but they helped me. Everything went well and the price quoted was reasonable.
On the return the cost was double what I paid for shipping the item the first time. I was told more flights going to then returning to the United States.
I tried to find a broker in Switzerland but it was more complicated,so I bit the bullet and let the original broker handle it.
The service was exceptional and Fedex was the carrier.
The company is in NYC and selected because that's where the motors were located.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Thank you David.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from a FedEx rep informing me that due to the new regulations, as Davis mentioned, Customs is now in charge and far behind in processing new entries. He also mentioned that it is going to take longer to receive the goods even having a broker. FedEx does not determine money-back guarantee or delay claim requests based on the scheduled delivery.

We are now at the mercy of the Federal Govt. They are looking for revenue wherever possible and of course, we the taxpayers carry the burden.

Cheers,

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Cheers,
This is very normal for FedEx to do as they are acting as the customs clearing place. I had to do the same when I received my Taiko Extreme as well as my Lampizator Pacific.

Unless you fill out the papers your product will be delayed

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Steve, I took my wife to her physician last week and there is a new tenant in the building, Alejandra Williams, Obstetrics & Gynecology!!!!

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Finally, I received the arm. I think that my mistake was the £700 declared value. Amen.

Marcin Musialkowski, Turntable Groove, in Edinburgh, did a superb job as usual. This is the third tonearm that he serviced for me.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_4219_resize.JPG
    IMG_4219_resize.JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 6

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The key to what you fill out determines what the import tax is that you will pay as FedEx submits the forms to the IRS.

I always ask that the exporter put a ridiculous low amount as to the value of the goods to minimize those import taxes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing