Field Coil Speakers @ 16 Ohms for OTL

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I heard John's tube-based power supply when I auditioned his T-1.5 speakers at his house. He claimed much better performance with the tube power supplies than solid state bench supplies, but I only heard the tube power supplies. He was running hot-rodded Novacron amps. The system played the best I've ever heard "So What" especially Coltrane and Adderly on sax. Realistic drums and cymbal dynamics. Also an annoying level of hum and a right-shifted stereo image which John was unable to fix when I was there.
Hmmm, no pun intended, LOL….was the hum just isolated to the power supply or was the hum heard coming through the speakers? I hear toroidal transformer hum coming from the stock power supplies. Used a Ebtech HumX ac filter, Shunyata Sigma VR 2 power cables, and IsoAcoustics Orea vibration feet. Hum noise is still present but somewhat diminished. You no longer can hear the hum when the music starts, even at low volume. It’s irritating when no music is on because I know it is there, albeit, now at a lower level.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Hum Noise? Right shifted S
I heard John's tube-based power supply when I auditioned his T-1.5 speakers at his house. He claimed much better performance with the tube power supplies than solid state bench supplies, but I only heard the tube power supplies. He was running hot-rodded Novacron amps. The system played the best I've ever heard "So What" especially Coltrane and Adderly on sax. Realistic drums and cymbal dynamics. Also an annoying level of hum and a right-shifted stereo image which John was unable to fix
Hum Noise and Sound stage shifted sounds like a Bad Tube on the Amplifier or the Pre-amp. Most likely its a tube issue on the pre-amp from my experience, however a bad tube on the amp can also cause the same problem.

I have no Noise from my Line Magnetic Power supply that was customised for Classic Audio Speakers. its Dead Quiet on both the 105db LM-03 Speakers and the Classic Audio Loudspeakers, I have a set of 4 Power supplies.

Reactions: analyzer

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Iv tried a bunch of Different Power Supplies, I also got custom ones made in the UK and China, Then I shifted to Tube Power supplies and never looked back to SS Power supplies again its a no contest SS vs Tubes.,

Every single type of music just sounded better on the Tube Power supply. Lower Fatigue levels, bigger soundstage and the amazing thing is you don't lose any definition in the bass or its visceral energy. It could be my mind playing with me but the emotional connection to the musical piece you listening to just seems to be present with tube power supply!

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
What Atma-sphere amps have you used with the T1.5s? Is 60 watts enough for a 30 x 18 x 8 sized room with T1.5s? If I were to try out any Atma-sphere amp with my T1.5s, I would be inclined to use them with either the Novacron or MA-1 due to their higher output in watts. Have you ever tried any Air Tight SET amps?

The T.15s are rated at 16 ohms, so power output should increase into 16ohms relative to the 8ohm output ratin

All of Atma-Sphere Amplifiers:

S30
M60
MA1
MA2
Novacron

my Reference is the Nirvana Amplifier from Atma but this is a custom build amp and never advertised online.

To my Ears best In order:

Nirvana
Novacron
MA1 or MA2
M60
S30

I think a min of 60 watts should be used, you should keep headroom available even if the speakers don't need it. It just feels more relaxed overall with more power reserve.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
All of Atma-Sphere Amplifiers:

S30
M60
MA1
MA2
Novacron

my Reference is the Nirvana Amplifier from Atma but this is a custom build amp and never advertised online.

To my Ears best In order:

Nirvana
Novacron
MA1 or MA2
M60
S30

I think a min of 60 watts should be used, you should keep headroom available even if the speakers don't need it. It just feels more relaxed overall with more power reserve.
I am using McIntosh MC2301 300 watt tube amps. The combination is glorious. The amps never get warm either. Obviously, I do not use the max wattage, but, as you stated, 60 watts is great. In jam session mode, my watt meters hover between 30-100 watts (Peaks). Low level 3-10 watts.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I am pleased to hear John Wulf is now using tube power supplies for his field coils. I have heard Classics at a number of CAF shows and John always used regulated SS supplies which left me wondering how much better the speakers could sound with a good Tungar supply.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I heard John's tube-based power supply when I auditioned his T-1.5 speakers at his house. He claimed much better performance with the tube power supplies than solid state bench supplies, but I only heard the tube power supplies. He was running hot-rodded Novacron amps. The system played the best I've ever heard "So What" especially Coltrane and Adderly on sax. Realistic drums and cymbal dynamics. Also an annoying level of hum and a right-shifted stereo image which John was unable to fix when I was there.
That’s cool, but a little concerning. Perhaps it was some aspect of kit setup and not the FC PS at all. John needs to provide an A/B imho. I’m obviously fascinated by the prospect as I have heard so many valve based PS in other applications that prove to be very reliable, noise free, and most of all sound quite lovely.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Hmmm, no pun intended, LOL….was the hum just isolated to the power supply or was the hum heard coming through the speakers? I hear toroidal transformer hum coming from the stock power supplies. Used a Ebtech HumX ac filter, Shunyata Sigma VR 2 power cables, and IsoAcoustics Orea vibration feet. Hum noise is still present but somewhat diminished. You no longer can hear the hum when the music starts, even at low volume. It’s irritating when no music is on because I know it is there, albeit, now at a lower level.
The hum was coming from the speakers, but I’m guessing it was hum from the amps, not the tube field coil supplies. The fact that the system sounded so good in spite of the hum and the balance issue is a testament to the speakers I suppose.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The hum was coming from the speakers, but I’m guessing it was hum from the amps, not the tube field coil supplies. The fact that the system sounded so good in spite of the hum and the balance issue is a testament to the speakers I suppose.
having owned the amps, speakers, pre-amps and field coils power supply as john wolff.

I can attest the issue is either Tube from Pre-amp or Tubes in the Power Amp that is causing the issue and it's a bad tube. it's a simple issue but locating the tube that's gone bad takes some time to isolate.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I spoke with John. He is definitely continuing to test the tube power supplies before he makes them widely available. These are his own designs and will be made of exceptional build quality. I plan on attending the Florida Audio Expo where John will have them (tube power supplies) there as well as a pair of Mcintosh MC3500s. T1s and Hartsfield of course Also will be present.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I spoke with John. He is definitely continuing to test the tube power supplies before he makes them widely available. These are his own designs and will be made of exceptional build quality. I plan on attending the Florida Audio Expo where John will have them (tube power supplies) there as well as a pair of Mcintosh MC3500s. T1s and Hartsfield of course Also will be present.
John used his new Tube power supply at the recent audio show event, did anyone on this forum get to hear it?

Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
John used his new Tube power supply at the recent audio show event, did anyone on this forum get to hear it?
I did…it was amazing. No matter what source, reel to reel or vinyl, the sound from that room was simply amazing. I spent several hours in his room as well as the “after show” party” to listen some more. He mentioned he is still tweaking the power supplies a little, but they are close for prime time.

They look incredible and with the covers off, have a unique tube glow. This new power supply is leagues ahead in quality compared to the standard supplied power supply. Soundwise, well, I did not have an A/B comparison as he only has the new tube power supplies, but they did not disappoint. Hugely satisfying in the sound department and not a hint of hum. I will post pics later today.

He also brought a set of the new McIntosh MC3500 along with his Atmasphere Novacron OTL amps mated to the Classic Audio Loudspeakers T1.5 reference. To me, the Novacron sounded better and in the large room, 35 x 50, they played loudly effortlessly. Also, I truly believe the older MC2301s sound pretty close to the sound qualities of the Novacrons. The Mc2301 can just abs easily play loud and shake the room with thunderous bass. The MC3500 were new so perhaps it is not fair comparing, but they sounded, well, slightly more solI’d state.

For anyone who Wants to take their Classic Audio Field Coil speakers over the top, this new tube power supply is going to be worth the wait and cost.

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I am on the queue to get the first units of the tube supply when it becomes available. How about the supply of these ancient Tungar tubes ? They have not been made for 50+ years, and nobody is going make them again AFAIK.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Here are the pics from the Florida Audio Show with the new Classic Audio Loudspeakers tube power supplies. Awesome sound.
C1F98E8D-42E5-43B3-8830-46E2A8C835A8.jpeg 2DBDC0AB-6CE7-41A3-8580-4C0AFA285858.jpeg C88396A8-3515-4E4C-8A61-47778DD5C7A9.jpeg F9671FC9-AB66-4628-AB9F-0B5A791DDCD4.jpeg F49B810C-49F9-4486-BF4E-611E348FCC05.jpeg 41E83F2C-56C2-4E5B-AA30-EF7DCAC1292E.jpeg 41E83F2C-56C2-4E5B-AA30-EF7DCAC1292E.jpeg F49B810C-49F9-4486-BF4E-611E348FCC05.jpeg F9671FC9-AB66-4628-AB9F-0B5A791DDCD4.jpeg F9671FC9-AB66-4628-AB9F-0B5A791DDCD4.jpeg C88396A8-3515-4E4C-8A61-47778DD5C7A9.jpeg 2DBDC0AB-6CE7-41A3-8580-4C0AFA285858.jpeg

Attachments

• 2EB5ED6A-A652-4BA6-A310-C1FA1D66E260.jpeg
    2EB5ED6A-A652-4BA6-A310-C1FA1D66E260.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 16

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nice. What were the source? ( turntable etc )

Last edited:
Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

jw5115

Sep 20, 2020
Looking forward to seeing John Wolff and hearing a tube based Tungar alternative power supply. Hope I could audition a pair as his place is just a short drive from mine. The last we spoke it was still in the development stages.

Wonder if Ralph from Atma-Sphere collaborated on this project or if he has listened to the result?

All good news.
Rob: If you would like to try the Tungars, give me a call
jw5115

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing