Finally got a new DAC (Tambaqui!)

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
@Yorky Unfortunately my entire system has been in storage for over a year during renovation projects that keep getting delayed, so I couldn't tell you! However I would definitely recommend giving it a VERY long time to break in, like several weeks of continuous playback. My experience was that the perceived tonality of the unit will shift a bit during the break-in period and the bass may seem to go missing for a stretch, but it will balance out in due course. Also be sure to leave it powered continuously.

> I believe that the MU1 takes over clocking duties when AES is used.

Not sure that's possible as AES is an asynchronous serial interface - it's really just a balanced version of S/PDIF (or rather S/PDIF is a consumer version of AES-EBU). You would need an I2S or similar link for the MU1 to function as a master clock.

Reactions: Yorky

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I believe that the MU1 takes over clocking duties when AES is used.
Which AES cables have you tried and was any particular one an obvious improvement over the others using AES?
From the Grimm website: "In the MU1 this technology [high performance FPGA based hardware] helps to reduce the errors in oversampling filters of downstream DA converters, by replacing their first, most calculation intense internal oversampling step with an extremely high precision one in the MU1. In addition the low jitter clock of the MU1 ensures an extremely low jitter AES or S/PDIF output signal that improves the timing accuracy of any locked converter."

I tried a Mogami AES, Kubala-Sosna AES and Black Cat S/SDIF. All sounded fine and are different flavors. I preferred the KS because it sounds more natural to my ears.

The Tambaqui will sound very good in two weeks or so, but it took a few months to finally stop improving in my setup. Of course, the improvements become smaller and smaller as time goes by. Agree that keeping it on all the time helps as does playing lots of music.

Reactions: Yorky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing