finally updated my system pictures to include my new tt's, phono and cartridge.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
had to retake all my pictures; it's taken me all day even though i'm not completely finished. all three turntables are now listed, my CS Port phono, and my Etsuro Gold cartridge. the link is at the bottom of my signature, but here it is for those who need it easy.....

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

here is a little taste of the pictures......

3TR--3tt--looking up (1 of 1).jpg

3TR--468-meter (1 of 1).jpg
3TR-center view (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, I'm sure you've explained before, but can you describe why you have three Studers?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I'm sure you've explained before, but can you describe why you have three Studers?

for easy dubbing (making predictably good copies).

i have a 1/2" A-820 and a 1/4" A-820 for playback and each has direct head out switches so i can playback through my King Cello, + a third A-820 with both 1/2" and 1/4" head blocks so i can dub either to either. the third one is stock. when i dub i change my switch to the internal stock circuit on my playback decks.

i could have an additional head block set and then just change each and get the same job done. but it's important to me to not be changing head blocks on my playback decks as these vintage machines are not spring chickens and it would be asking for trouble. just less stress on the gear.

and these Studers are not losing value. so i figure it makes sense.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A thought of you sitting in that front seat depict Captain Picard in my mind Mike.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Two questions if I may Mike ...

1. Did you consider putting a nice big painting on that front wall?
2. ... Couple nice green plants? ... Tall ones covering those two small front window frames.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Two questions if I may Mike ...

1. Did you consider putting a nice big painting on that front wall?
2. ... Couple nice green plants? ... Tall ones covering those two small front window frames.

hi Bob,

of course you may.....

every sq inch of that front wall has a sonic reason for how it is. i've tried various pieces of art in my room and i seem to be able to 'hear' all of them. i do have musical instruments mounted on the wall facing my entry doors as art. as well as many relevant wall hangings in the hallway.

my wife has lots of indoor plants in the house, and every room looks out to green. as does every room in the barn but my 2-channel room. i live in a forrest.

did you notice i listen in the dim light unless i'm multi-tasking with my nose in my laptop. either way the greenery would be lost on me. i travel the universe through the music.......

personal choices and priorities. i'm an all in kinda guy.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Beautiful stuff

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It might be the photography, but is your listening position pulled toward the back wall more than it used to be?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think it's the camera.

SOOOOOOOO much source. The camera lens makes it look even more intense. You can easily walk around, it's not tight anywhere in there.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It might be the photography, but is your listening position pulled toward the back wall more than it used to be?

the geometry has been constant now for almost 3 years. which is 115" inches tweeter to tweeter, and 108" (each) ear to tweeter.

adding the two additional turntables (and racks) required moving my first rack (with the NVS + dac + dart pre) forward (in the room) 15", so i had to adjust how i sight the listening position from the right-front pod on the NVS to the left-front pod on the NVS when i move my chairs.

the reason the distance seems short is the relative size of the speakers fools your 'feel' for it. if someone was standing next to the speaker towers your mind would then adjust the scale appropriately. those speakers are massive, and tall, and make the room look more cozy than it is. if those were stand mounted monitors it would look quite different.

and with so much area (width, depth and height) behind the speakers, and it being so live......effectively the speaker's energy is farther behind the plane of the speakers than it would be if the room was shorter/smaller behind the speakers. part of the magic of the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
hi Bob,

of course you may.....

every sq inch of that front wall has a sonic reason for how it is. i've tried various pieces of art in my room and i seem to be able to 'hear' all of them. i do have musical instruments mounted on the wall facing my entry doors as art. as well as many relevant wall hangings in the hallway.

my wife has lots of indoor plants in the house, and every room looks out to green. as does every room in the barn but my 2-channel room. i live in a forrest.

did you notice i listen in the dim light unless i'm multi-tasking with my nose in my laptop. either way the greenery would be lost on me. i travel the universe through the music.......

personal choices and priorities. i'm an all in kinda guy.

You live in a beautiful forest up the mountains indeed.
I simply mentioned one painting right on the middle front wall and just two green plants by looking @ the picture. In daytime it would look nicer and the painting (art) could be made of acoustical material having similar properties to your front wall.
Two green plants? Some more love to give in that room...water, and the plants love Classical music dancing and caressing their leaves.

That's all. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It bears repeating. This is the ultimate listening laboratory. I am not saying this is the best system in the world. I will leave that to others.
I am saying that every aspect from the momemt the electricity enters the room until it reaches the ears is accounted for.

Probably not bad for umwinding after work either.

Reactions: Bobvin

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It bears repeating. This is the ultimate listening laboratory. I am not saying this is the best system in the world. I will leave that to others.
I am saying that every aspect from the momemt the electricity enters the room until it reaches the ears is accounted for.

Probably not bad for umwinding after work either.

There's something to learn for everyone at Mike's!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
You live in a beautiful forest up the mountains indeed.
I simply mentioned one painting right on the middle front wall and just two green plants by looking @ the picture. In daytime it would look nicer and the painting (art) could be made of acoustical material having similar properties to your front wall.
Two green plants? Some more love to give in that room...water, and the plants love Classical music dancing and caressing their leaves.

That's all. :)
That front center section of that wall is curved. If there was one place in that room to NOT hang a picture, that is it. You would definitely hear it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That front center section of that wall is curved. If there was one place in that room to NOT hang a picture, that is it. You would definitely hear it.

Mike, there are convex canvas paintings. ...Or other type of convex art sculptures etc.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lol true

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A picture of calm, collected decisiveness from Mike.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing