Fire @ Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Notre Dame’s medieval roof structure, known as "the forest," has been lost to the massive fire, according to Msgr. Patrick Chauvet, the rector of the cathedral.
“The framework from the 13th century is called a forest, because it required a forest of trees to build it,” he said.
The cathedral's wooden frame, which primarily consists of oak, contains beams that date as far back as the first frame. It features trees cut down between 1160 and 1170, forming one of the oldest parts of the structure.
Most of the current frame dates from the year 1220, according to the church's website.
According to the Notre Dame website, it’s one of Paris’s oldest frameworks. Learn more about the construction of the famous cathedral here."

Trees cut down from between 1160 and 1170. ...Old history that went in flames. ...And the famous Spire. This is a major heritage of architecture and culture.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Total tragedy.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'd lock this topic, mods... it'll be political shortly.

French churches have been under attack all year (2019). What are the odds that something that stood for 800 years without modern thing to prevent fire (like electrical that aren't covered in cotton conducting 230v) just burns down one day from a minor mistake? Zero.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sad news... I am sure the French will rebuild.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Among the most beautiful cathedrals of the world. Over 850 years old.
The inside is beautiful, the columns are gigantic, the art (architecture, paintings, sculptures, stained glass, wood structures, lead roof, decor ornaments, the organ, etc.) is rich in history and beauty.
In the 21st century renovations were being done. She will burn to the ground with only the big marble columns and stone towers and stone walls remaining. She will never be rebuilt to the same majestic historic standards; it's impossible.

Couple videos to put it in perspective of what is lost ...

"Notre Dame, or Our Lady, is considered the most famous Gothic cathedral ever built. Its picturesque stained-glass rose windows were made of hundreds of panes, depicting various biblical images like apostles and angels. Gargoyles and statues surround the cathedral."

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'd lock this topic, mods... it'll be political shortly.

French churches have been under attack all year (2019). What are the odds that something that stood for 800 years without modern thing to prevent fire (like electrical that aren't covered in cotton conducting 230v) just burns down one day from a minor mistake? Zero.

Actually, it seems to have been an accident. But it's a tragedy.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Actually, it seems to have been an accident. But it's a tragedy.

I hope it is an accident but I have severe doubts. Either way I despise the people celebrating it. I feel like they'd be on par with someone celebrating the Library of Alexandria being burned... These are some of the worst things to happen. IMO history should be sacred.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I hope it is an accident but I have severe doubts. Either way I despise the people celebrating it. I feel like they'd be on par with someone celebrating the Library of Alexandria being burned... These are some of the worst things to happen. IMO history should be sacred.

I don't know of anyone celebrating it.

Initially I also thought it was an attack just like you did, because of what has happened in France this year, which is very disturbing, also to me as practicing Catholic. But right now the hypothesis is accident. This may change but I do not expect so.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok, just checked about the so-called celebrations: the usual suspects of fake news sources, as far as I can tell. But this too will be investigated in depth.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I lost tragically (accident) an entire thread in the past; I didn't start a new one to get burn again.
Every Parisian is in deep tragic mourning right now, in their heart and cultural history.

I care about that. Marc said it; total tragedy.

Folsom, do you truly believe that I want to have another tragic accident, then don't misinterpret.
If you love organ music, choral music, art paintings, stain-glass art, sculpture, grandiose architecture as much as I do then you know how each Parisian, people from France and all over the world feel.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ok, just checked about the so-called celebrations: the usual suspects of fake news sources, as far as I can tell. But this too will be investigated in depth.

Well, the "respected" ones won't report it, but it's not hard to see them on Twitter itself. (till they get deleted)

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Indeed it’s huge pain to see such a history in flames.
France is a great country with long history, such a tragedy will unite the French nation and shortly the Notre Dame will be restored.
I am reading that François-Henri Pinault has already given 100 million euro for the restoration.

Attachments

• F3E60337-F663-4C03-A47F-4F1CEC96F25A.jpeg
    F3E60337-F663-4C03-A47F-4F1CEC96F25A.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Notre Dame Cathedral was saved from total destruction, as opposed to what some said earlier.

"The Paris prosecutor’s office opened an investigation into the fire soon after the damage began. Late Monday, prosecutors said their preliminary findings suggested the huge fire had been started accidentally."

There were renovations done inside the roof area; it could have been an electrical power tool short circuit. ...Something of that matter...accidental.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I attended Easter Mass there with my wife just last year. This news made me tear up.

Reactions: RogerD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bodhi, this is really not the place for that, show a bit of restraint.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Very saddening. And I'm stupefied as to how a structure standing for almost 900 years is accidentally burnt down (even partially) in 2019.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are three things that don't work discussing; politics, sex and religions.
This is not one of them, the first post is very clear, the guide.

Nine years ago (not 900 years ago) I started a nature thread (photography), without talk.
Now I just started an historic architectural thread on one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world that was ravaged by fire on Monday. It is in that art direction, cultural heritage that I understand the deep mourning of French Parisians in their heart looking @ the skyline and not seeing the spire anymore today, not seeing the roof of Notre Dame.

Plus, it gives us all the opportunity to discover more about the architecture of Notre Dame, inside and out. ...Artistically, historically, musically, acoustically, life born and reborn.
Babies were baptised inside that magnificent cathedral, Easter masses assisted by people like Jack.

The stain-glass work in Notre Dame is of the highest caliber master art.
The wood structures of the roof were my first introduction because nature (forests), arts, architecture, organs, massed choirs, peace, ...are all part of who I'm truly am.
So the wood inside, from several hundred years old, the sculptures inside and outside, the gargoyles, the superb stain-glass work, ...all of this is what is the direction I intended, the great tragic lost in the heart of our brothers and sisters, French Parisians.

It is in tragic moments like these, of accidental fires, that the best and worst of men come up.
The worst is not WBF philosophy, the best is.

So, with all of that now being said; I would ask please to go deep inside your heart and bring the best of it.

Reactions: Al M.
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing