• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Latest UK Govt figures report 1m plus people currently infected with Covid out of population of around 60m.
60k plus new cases, nearly 1k deaths and 3k plus hospital admissions yesterday.
Threat level 5 meaning hospitals at risk of being overwhelmed.
1m plus people vaccinated to date.
Why wouldn't you get vaccinated at the earliest opportunity?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Kudos to Israel for vaccinating at a very rapid pace

Reactions: bonzo75

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yup, over 350K today. The most outrageous thing I've heard from "friends" is what they heard on opinion news, that only those who died with no clear underlying symptoms are to be counted - all 6% of the official death count. And they compare that to the average annual vehicle accident count and claim it's half, so who cares. These are now ex friends of mine, because as you can probably imagine, they've said other things as well.

EDIT: one of them is an oncologist. What a total shame.
Pretty well accepted: The Eggshell Doctrine- You take your victim as you find him. The fact that he is particularly vulnerable is of no consequence.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: Folsom and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
serious antitrust violations by Microsoft.

Yet at least he puts his wealth to good use now. Commendable. I like him now much, much better than in his younger days. In fact, I have respect and admiration for what he does.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The only people debating the seriousness of the disease are in the United States . . .

Respectfully, a statement this absolute is illogical on its face. Please provide us with evidence that there are no serious people in any other countries debating the seriousness of the virus disease.

From direct, first-hand, personal experience of Tinka or I or both in England and the Netherlands I report with complete certainty and objectivity that serious people in each of these countries are debating the seriousness of the disease. Your statement is demonstrably false.

People in general in the Netherlands and in Sweden and, likely, in numerous other countries in Europe, have taken the virus disease less seriously than people in general have taken it in the United States.

Last edited:

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wow!
what is the debate?
That it is not an airborne contagion?
That is is not killing people?
I can only pray thar those in the debate will come to the correct conclusion before they die from it.

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Number of deaths annually for leading causes of death:​

• Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,27

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please stay focused on the virus and the vaccine if you want this thread to stay open.

Thank you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Interesting news report here in Australia tonight with a Melbourne immunologist discussing the current understanding on the variable efficacy rates of the three immunisation choices we have gone for here.

Immunisation is still not due to start till March and these are the contenders...

University of Oxford/AstraZeneca
Novavax
Pfizer/BioNTech

The main strategy here is focussed on AstraZeneca but the government hedged their bets with doses also purchased from Pfizer and Novavax.

The comment tonight was that according to current data the AstraZeneca apparently has an efficacy of about 60% whereas the Pfizer and Novavax are up above 90%.

All three should likely protect the person immunised against the worst effects of Covid but if Australia was actually seeking to achieve herd immunity it would require far greater immunisation (closer to 100% of the population) with AstraZeneca whereas it might be possible to achieve herd immunity with far less of the population (2/3rds perhaps) being actually immunised if one of the other two antivirals was used because of their greater overall effectiveness.

The potential to achieve essential herd immunity is a huge factor and projects a return to a more normal life and business far earlier than otherwise and reinforces Howie’s earlier comment on the vital importance of getting as many of the population immunised as soon as possible.

I’m sure there will be further data to be verified as we go.

In the interim I’m going to lock myself into a room and build myself a new pair of horns... it’d be great if you were all immunised by the time I get back out :)

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Interesting news report here in Australia tonight with a Melbourne immunologist discussing the current understanding on the variable efficacy rates of the three immunisation choices we have gone for here.

Immunisation is still not due to start till March and these are the contenders...

University of Oxford/AstraZeneca
Novavax
Pfizer/BioNTech

The main strategy here is focussed on AstraZeneca but the government hedged their bets with doses also purchased from Pfizer and Novavax.

The comment tonight was that according to current data the AstraZeneca apparently has an efficacy of about 60% whereas the Pfizer and Novavax are up above 90%.

All three should likely protect the person immunised against the worst effects of Covid but if Australia was actually seeking to achieve herd immunity it would require far greater immunisation (closer to 100% of the population) with AstraZeneca whereas it might be possible to achieve herd immunity with far less of the population (2/3rds perhaps) being actually immunised if one of the other two antivirals was used because of their greater overall effectiveness.

The potential to achieve essential herd immunity is a huge factor and projects a return to a more normal life and business far earlier than otherwise and reinforces Howie’s earlier comment on the vital importance of getting as many of the population immunised as soon as possible.

I’m sure there will be further data to be verified as we go.

In the interim I’m going to lock myself into a room and build myself a new pair of horns... it’d be great if you were all immunised by the time I get back out :)
One issue that seems to be getting little attention is that these vaccines are not, afaik, recommended for children which means no where near 100% of the susceptible population will get vaccinated and whilst children would appear to be less susceptible to clinical disease, they can certainly pass it on to the next adult they meet who is acutely at risk. This seems to be a gaping hole in national strategies.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
One issue that seems to be getting little attention is that these vaccines are not, afaik, recommended for children which means no where near 100% of the susceptible population will get vaccinated and whilst children would appear to be less susceptible to clinical disease, they can certainly pass it on to the next adult they meet who is acutely at risk. This seems to be a gaping hole in national strategies.
That makes a huge difference in terms of outcomes. In some ways that probably puts the onus back on the rest us to ensure that we can still get as great a coverage with immunisation as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou and Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My gf, who is a doctor, just got her first dose of the Oxford vaccine

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My gf, who is a doctor, just got her first dose of the Oxford vaccine
I want to ask you a question but then I second thought and better shut up.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Respectfully, a statement this absolute is illogical on its face. Please provide us with evidence that there are no serious people in any other countries debating the seriousness of the virus disease.

From direct, first-hand, personal experience of Tinka or I or both in England and the Netherlands I report with complete certainty and objectivity that serious people in each of these countries are debating the seriousness of the disease. Your statement is demonstrably false.

People in general in the Netherlands and in Sweden and, likely, in numerous other countries in Europe, have taken the virus disease less seriously than people in general have taken it in the United States.
Illogical but factual. Anecdotal evidence is, as it always is, irrelevant.

USA: 58% of Americans are willing to take the vaccine

Netherlands: 73%, Germany: 70%, UK: 79%

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

They have taken it seriously , but with less forced restriction, because most people in Sweden will follow a government recommendation, as they trust their government to do what is best for them ;)

Reactions: howiebrou and Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Illogical but factual. Anecdotal evidence is, as it always is, irrelevant.

USA: 58% of Americans are willing to take the vaccine

Netherlands: 73%, Germany: 70%, UK: 79%

I wonder if those statistics for the United States would be different had some prominent voices in the government and media not expressed concern about the vaccine months ago.

There were some opinions pushed that the vaccine might not be safe and that it was rushed. In my opinion this was not a responsible public message. Those are now eager to take the vaccine. I don’t know if this happened in other countries.

To feel confident about the topic of this thread, one must believe the information that is out there.

it is still not clear to me whether receiving the vaccine will prevent transmission. If the argument is that Everyone should take the vaccine to protect others, that implies to me that we know there will not be transmission from those vaccinated. Is there data on this yet?

Reactions: Lagonda
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing