• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I wonder if those statistics for the United States would be different had some prominent voices in the government and media not expressed concern about the vaccine months ago.

There were some opinions pushed that the vaccine might not be safe and that it was rushed. In my opinion this was not a responsible public message. Those are now eager to take the vaccine. I don’t know if this happened in other countries.

To feel confident about the topic of this thread, one must believe the information that is out there.

it is still not clear to me whether receiving the vaccine will prevent transmission. If the argument is that Everyone should take the vaccine to protect others, that implies to me that we know there will not be transmission from those vaccinated. Is there data on this yet?
As far as I understand, one can be a “carrier” while uninfected. The ultimate goal is to have nobody (statistically) to give the virus to, implying post-infection or vaccinated immunity.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
it is still not clear to me whether receiving the vaccine will prevent transmission. If the argument is that Everyone should take the vaccine to protect others, that implies to me that we know there will not be transmission from those vaccinated. Is there data on this yet?

It stands to reason that immunity from vaccination will help fight the virus at the very early stages, before the cells of the body amplify it into a myriad copies, which then cause a person to produce a viral load that is able to infect others. In that case, transmission from those vaccinated will be suppressed.

But that is scientific hypothesis, and evidence from data is the only thing that counts. There are no conclusive data yet, but i am sure they are collected by Pfizer, Moderna and other vaccine makers as we speak. I guess we'll need a bit more patience on this one, but my hope is that indeed what I outlined in the first paragraph will be true. We shall see, the data will speak on the issue.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Number of deaths annually for leading causes of death:​

• Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,27
When thier is a vaccine for either of those I will take it. ;)

Reactions: Mikem53 and bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It stands to reason that immunity from vaccination will help fight the virus at the very early stages, before the cells of the body amplify it into a myriad copies, which then cause a person to produce a viral load that is able to infect others. In that case, transmission from those vaccinated will be suppressed.

But that is scientific hypothesis, and evidence from data is the only thing that counts. There are no conclusive data yet, but i am sure they are collected by Pfizer, Moderna and other vaccine makers as we speak. I guess we'll need a bit more patience on this one, but my hope is that indeed what I outlined in the first paragraph will be true. We shall see, the data will speak on the issue.

Thank you Al. I understand this. In the absence of such data, I so not understand the argument made by some in this thread that getting the vaccine will reduce the transmission to others, and particularly those at higher risk of complications/death, and therefore we should all take it.

Reduced transmission from vaccination would be wonderful, but we do not seem to know that yet. I can see how it might, but without knowing the effect on transmission, the premise for this argument is just an assumption and not a fact, and is therefore flawed. As such, it is not a sound argument, IMO. It is more of a hope and should be understood as such. I agree that more will be known in time. At this point, I see the vaccine more as a step towards personal protection for those who want to take it, and that it should therefore be a personal choice and not a mandate until we know more.

Of course this does not mean that people should not take the vaccine. I am not arguing one way or the other and would not presume to tell others what they should or should not (or must) do. Encouragement is one thing, mandates are another. I prefer vaccination to remain a personal choice in the absence of more data.

I will decide for myself when the vaccine is available to me and I am hoping there is more information available at that time.

Reactions: Bobvin

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I wonder if those statistics for the United States would be different had some prominent voices in the government and media not expressed concern about the vaccine months ago.

There were some opinions pushed that the vaccine might not be safe and that it was rushed. In my opinion this was not a responsible public message. Those are now eager to take the vaccine. I don’t know if this happened in other countries.

To feel confident about the topic of this thread, one must believe the information that is out there.

All vaccines currently used in stop the transmission of disease. If the COVID vaccine did not stop the transmission, it would be different than how other vaccines work.

Reactions: Al M.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Number of deaths annually for leading causes of death:​

• Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,27
your data is old

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank you Al. I understand this. In the absence of such data, I so not understand the argument made by some in this thread that getting the vaccine will reduce the transmission to others, and particularly those at higher risk of complications/death, and therefore we should all take it.

Reduced transmission from vaccination would be wonderful, but we do not seem to know that yet. I can see how it might, but without knowing the effect on transmission, the premise for this argument is just an assumption and not a fact, and is therefore flawed. As such, it is not a sound argument, IMO. It is more of a hope and should be understood as such. I agree that more will be known in time. At this point, I see the vaccine more as a step towards personal protection for those who want to take it, and that it should therefore be a personal choice and not a mandate until we know more.

Of course this does not mean that people should not take the vaccine. I am not arguing one way or the other and would not presume to tell others what they should or should not (or must) do. Encouragement is one thing, mandates are another. I prefer vaccination to remain a personal choice in the absence of more data.

I will decide for myself when the vaccine is available to me and I am hoping there is more information available at that time.
The most prominent voice in the government understated the seriousness of the virus from the beginning. There are several reports of people in the ICU dying of COVID denying the existence/seriousness of COVID with their final breaths.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
your data is old

A friend just sent me this: https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/selected-deaths-vs-covid-19-united-states

If you insert the United States, it seems that coronary heart disease killed more Americans in 2020 (through Jan 5/2021) than did COVID. Perhaps your data contradicts this. There seems to be a lot of conflicting data out there. It makes for confusion.

Reactions: Bobvin and jeff1225

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The most prominent voice in the government understated the seriousness of the virus from the beginning. There are several reports of people in the ICU dying of COVID denying the existence/seriousness of COVID with their final breaths.

Jeff, I was referring to the promotion and discussion of the vaccine around the time of the election. There were skeptics on the news networks which may have contributed to the statistics you shared earlier about fewer Americans willing to take the vaccine. I can not prove that they affected the statistics or influenced people's opinions, but there were loud voices for sure raising concerns about safety. I am trying not get too political here.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeff, I was referring to the promotion and discussion of the vaccine around the time of the election. There were skeptics on the news networks which may have contributed to the statistics you shared earlier about fewer Americans willing to take the vaccine. I can not prove that they affected the statistics or influenced people's opinions, but there were loud voices for sure raising concerns about safety. I am trying not get too political here.
I agree with your assessments Peter. There have been a lot of voices that have not been healthy. FaceBook only lately shut down their anti-vaxx pages that had 10's of millions of followers in the USA.

Reactions: bonzo75

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, gentlemen and good afternoon to you. Let's refrain from getting into anything that resembles politics, as we all know it will not end well.

Censorship is not part of this discussion, nor will it be moving forward. (isn't THAT ironic?) :p

Let's just keep the discussion on topic. Thanks all.

Tom

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My sister reports no ill effects. I am glad because they have had several Covid19 breaches of protocol. This has resulted in several patients with Covid19 being admitted.

Reactions: Al M.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My sister reports no ill effects. I am glad because they have had several Covid19 breaches of protocol. This has resulted in several patients with Covid19 being admitted.

The possible side effects I'm the most concerned about are when patients who get the vaccine do get the virus. Since some won't show any symptoms it may be awhile before we know more about that. Time is answer many people want before they get it. To me that's a totally fair way to approach it, along with not bothering if you already had the virus.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
“during the past week”
First sentence of the article:

"December 7, 2020 -- COVID-19 passed heart disease as the leading cause of death during the past week, according to the latest report from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation."

Come on.....

djsina2

May 30, 2019
First sentence of the article:

"December 7, 2020 -- COVID-19 passed heart disease as the leading cause of death during the past week, according to the latest report from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation."

Come on.....
Yes, for the past week exactly as it says. It did not surpass the annual numbers, which is what I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing