First day with the Denafrips Venus II

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I received a used Denafrips Venus II today. It was to replace a new Gustard R26. Both are R2R ladder DACs. I warmed it and the system up for 4 hours.

Sat on the listening couch around 8pm. Played songs from The Police, David Bowie, Drake, etc... Oh, yeah! This thing is glorious. Its the sonic DAC equivalent of my old Audio Research VT100 100 wpc 6550 tube amp. It is robust yet crisp. Tubey on the low end and sparkly on top. It sounds just right. I love this thing.

Ask me anything.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I also have a Venus II. Depending on how long it's already been used for, be prepared for its sonic performance to vary quite wildly over a couple of weeks, and to not entirely 'come on song' for up to 3 months. There may be times when you wonder what's gone wrong, but that's just the bumpy ride of 'burn-in'. After that, it's pretty magical. If you're lucky, the previous owner already did all the running-in for you!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I’m looking into the Venus ii as a DAC for my first headphone streaming station. Along with the Denafrips Gaia D2D.

How much burn-in time is on it? I have read that 300+ is kind of the minimum recommended…

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
My Denafrips Venus 2 DAC arrived today. Wow, straight out of the box it sounds amazing. The tone is wonderfully rich, detailed, and realistic. I know it's odd to refer to a digital device as sounding "analog," but it does! Or rather, closer to real music than most traditional chip-based DACS. Denafrips claims it needs about 300 hours of burn-in to reach its peak performance. It's hard to imagine it will sound any better, but I guess I'll find out!

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I received a used Denafrips Venus II today. It was to replace a new Gustard R26. Both are R2R ladder DACs. I warmed it and the system up for 4 hours.

Sat on the listening couch around 8pm. Played songs from The Police, David Bowie, Drake, etc... Oh, yeah! This thing is glorious. Its the sonic DAC equivalent of my old Audio Research VT100 100 wpc 6550 tube amp. It is robust yet crisp. Tubey on the low end and sparkly on top. It sounds just right. I love this thing.

Ask me anything.

But did it replace the R26 in the end?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing