May 30, 2010
Mass
Ouch. That's rather sobering. Thanks.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You made me curious. We have Avantgarde, and darTZeel. Never thought of plugging them together, but I will :) Currently, ours is hooked to a tube amp (Audiopax). No noise.
BTW Avantgardes are normally 104, 108dB sensitive, depending on the model.

alexandre

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
You made me curious. We have Avantgarde, and darTZeel. Never thought of plugging them together, but I will :) Currently, ours is hooked to a tube amp (Audiopax). No noise.
BTW Avantgardes are normally 104, 108dB sensitive, depending on the model.

alexandre
if your room has some ambient noise, you may like the result. Very low ground floor noise makes a lot of difference, because noise that otherwise would be unnoticed is just annoyingly there. The driver with the highest efficiiency in the Ultimate is 120dB, that means it still needs 30 times less power than the Avantgarde.... scary! Even famous amps advertised at 125dB+ S/N ratio sounds very noisy, will not give names ;-)

jdza

May 3, 2010
if your room has some ambient noise, you may like the result. Very low ground floor noise makes a lot of difference, because noise that otherwise would be unnoticed is just annoyingly there. The driver with the highest efficiiency in the Ultimate is 120dB, that means it still needs 30 times less power than the Avantgarde.... scary! Even famous amps advertised at 125dB+ S/N ratio sounds very noisy, will not give names ;-)

Typically in a horn system not all horn drivers/horns are of the same sensitivity. Most often the lower mid horns will have a cone driver that will not do much more than 105 db/W . The compression drivers for the tweeters and mid horns will have closer to 120-123 db W. If you are running such a system with a single amp (AvantGarde) the passive crossover will pull the output to the compression drivers down after the amplifier and noise may not be noticable. If you are multi amping attenuation happens before the power amps so the full power amplifier output (noise included) will reach the compression drivers and be coupled in a most efficient manner to the room. This can be particularly disturbing if the low mid/mid bass drivers are of very high efficiency design.Fortunately very, very few basshorns are of ultra high efficiency as a noisy amp there will have people running from the room.

It is surprising how many very highly regarded amplifiers are not suitable for multi amped true horn installations. Most tube /SET amps need not apply with the exception of the lowly little Yamamotos.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Up close and live at AXPONA. First day... sounding a little pinched, will go back on Sunday if time permits. It sure is impressive looking.

Q7 MK2.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The two chassis Pass XS-150's are a lot better than the XA series amps...$65K msrp. I can guarantee you would be happy with them.

One would think but apparently many disagree. I am told unless I get the XS-300's it would be a step backwards. Supposedly the XA160.8's best the XS-150 in bass control and resolution (and a few attributes that I don't recall). More a testament to the point 8's than anything bad about the XS. I would love to compare them for myself but the return shipping make it a costly endeavor.

VFA

May 24, 2015
I agree with Marty.I feel Robert Harley's original review of the Qseven and his review of the Q7mk11 show that he is disingenuous in his interpretation of audio equipment.I am not a Magico owner but may very well be if I could afford their equipment.. I've listen to the Q7 speakers on numerous occasions and feel that they are if not the best close to the best speakers I've ever heard. That is not to say that I would Poopoo other speaker such as Wilson audio or Focal were several other of the true high-end speakers. I've listened to the all and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.I am not a reviewer or an expert on Sound but I certainly having listen to the Q sevens realize that they had their own issues. One of which is the bass andthat's why Magico often shows the Q7 with their new sub woofer.that being said they're still pretty much at the top of the food chain as far as speakers are concerned. I love them and would love to have a pair but unlike Robert Harley, I do not get a significant break from the manufacturers when I purchased their equipment. I wonder just what he spent for his Q sevens that he has in his room.but for some reason he was unable to pick up the shortcomings of the speaker until he heard the Mk11 version.obviously Mr. Harley wants the high-end to survive and thrive. The high-end really does exist on a relatively small percentage of the population spending lots of money on it. Therefore upgrades.upgrades and constantly improving the system by these few people is at the heart of the survival of the high-end. Therefore he feels he must promote this. When reading the absolute sounded and other high and magazines there are very few negative reviews. I don't believe he's ever seen a high-end speaker he doesn't love. Therefore I do not put any stock in anything he would say when he reviews equipment.this is a sad state of affairs for people looking for truthful information. I don't have a suggestion of how this can be fixed but I'm very disappointed in Mr. Harley fer his lack of veracity to his paiying customers.The people he is supposed to be helping

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Hi All, just curious if anyone would like to share their thoughts about Q7 Mk2? Any comparison to M6?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing