First Listen: Magico Q7 Mk.II - An Unexpected New Direction for Magico

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Of course I'm going to wait given the electrician will be by within a week. I don't move that fast!

Hi Ian,

I agree with Peter, you just need to be patient. Once you get your power delivery straightened out, you will have all the bass you desire. There is nothing wrong with your amps or other components, you have absolutely world class gear from top to bottom. I look forward to you being wowed by the sound your gear is capable of delivering. Until then, hang in there my friend.

All the best,
Ken

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm not sure "no deep bass" is a fair statement. What is he driving them with - is that Constellation? That said, as an owner myself I don't experience a lot of bass - I think those three drivers are there for quality over quantity (e.g. 3 woofers means each doesn't have to move as much air). Mine go down to 15hz before they drop off. That said they don't produce much midbass (compared to most speakers including the S5's which I also own).

My quote was "No real deep, deep, bass." I'm talking about a system with the Magico Q-18's subs or other big subs, or at least the bass of Q7's. When I heard Tim's Q7's, they were being powered by Centaur monos. Tim has the Hercules II on order for the M Projects. He did tell me that the amps he has currently hooked up are a bit small for the speakers. I've heard several different high end Magicos at Tim's including the Q5, Q7 and one of the S's (don't remember which one). The M project has the ability to see into the music more than just about any speakers I have heard. I don't have the dimensions of Tim's room, but it is pretty big, not huge. I might have been sitting half way back, maybe a bit more than that. Hope that clarifies things.

Larry

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have a feeling I need to change amps... it's driving me nuts. I'm praying I don't have to change speakers...

Hi MadFloyd,
Dedicated powerlines will help for sure.
However and to be frank, XA160.8 may not suit your Project M, and it is definitely outclassed by the Project M.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't think Nelson Pass designs are "outclassed" by anyone.

His 10 watt SIT-1 sounds better than any SS amp I've heard.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I don't think Nelson Pass designs are "outclassed" by anyone.

His 10 watt SIT-1 sounds better than any SS amp I've heard.

Hi Keith,

Yes, All First Watts made by Mr. Nelson Pass are not outclassed by any SS amps.
But I don't think so for the Pass Labs, except the Xs Series. haha

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Keith,

Yes, All First Watts made by Mr. Nelson Pass are not outclassed by any SS amps.
But I don't think so for the Pass Labs, except the Xs Series. haha

I've heard the XA160.8 and XA200.8 are very close to the XS150, but that the XS300 is better. CK, how would you describe the weaknesses of the Pass amps?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I've heard the XA160.8 and XA200.8 are very close to the XS150, but that the XS300 is better. CK, how would you describe the weaknesses of the Pass amps?

All First Watts has that musicality magic of Mr. Nelson Pass.
For Pass Labs, it's presents in the Xs Series.
Maybe I am too demanding. haha

BTW Magicos are power-hungry.
A friend of mine who has pre-ordered a Project M is a Xs150 user and I am worrying a bit whether ...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
BTW Magicos are power-hungry.

Would you describe the Q7, Q3 and Ultimate 3 as power hungry? They are more efficient than the rest of the Magico speakers, though I know what you mean as a Mini 2 owner. I can't remember the specs of the M Project.

What SS amplifiers would you say are appropriate for the M Project?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi MadFloyd,
Dedicated powerlines will help for sure.
However and to be frank, XA160.8 may not suit your Project M, and it is definitely outclassed by the Project M.

It will be interesting to see if the dedicated lines make any difference (from using the extension cords that I'm using now).

And I do suspect that I can do better than the XA160.8's but since that is pretty much Pass' best amp, I would have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately I hear that most of the usual amps mated with Magicos are not very warm sounding, it's not so obvious which way to go. Someone recently suggested Ayre...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ian,

darTZeel. And live happily ever after :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It will be interesting to see if the dedicated lines make any difference (from using the extension cords that I'm using now).

And I do suspect that I can do better than the XA160.8's but since that is pretty much Pass' best amp, I would have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately I hear that most of the usual amps mated with Magicos are not very warm sounding, it's not so obvious which way to go. Someone recently suggested Ayre...

Ian, good luck with your search. However, no offense, but I get the impression that you will never be satisfied. :).

While I have never heard either the M series or S7s, I would bet that I could swap them in place of the S5s, and be deliriously happy with the sound. Maybe something might sound a nuance better, but I would bet I am pretty darn close to being there. At least as long as the drivers don't break.

Good luck with the dedicated circuits.

number95

May 14, 2014
Would you describe the Q7, Q3 and Ultimate 3 as power hungry? They are more efficient than the rest of the Magico speakers, though I know what you mean as a Mini 2 owner. I can't remember the specs of the M Project.

What SS amplifiers would you say are appropriate for the M Project?

91 db @ 4 ohms

I can say M Pros are driven easier than my older B&W N800s and Q5s.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

You want to hear the Magicos sound warm, one word, Jadis

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You want to hear the Magicos sound warm, one word, Jadis

Interesting. I remember reading one of the members here write he loved the Magico Q7s with Zanden monos...i dont know how difficult it would be to drive the big Ms (perhaps easier than Q7s?)...but i do recall this member saying the sound was sublime, but admittedly the bass had been noticeably tighter with a SS amp.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, good luck with your search. However, no offense, but I get the impression that you will never be satisfied. :).

While I have never heard either the M series or S7s, I would bet that I could swap them in place of the S5s, and be deliriously happy with the sound. Maybe something might sound a nuance better, but I would bet I am pretty darn close to being there. At least as long as the drivers don't break.

Good luck with the dedicated circuits.

Sad, but possibly true, Bud - at least in my current room and your impression is totally understandable (and no offense taken). It's ironic that I struggled with too much bass for years only to be in the opposite situation. The closest I've come to the sound I'm looking for was with S5's, but the M-Pros are so much better that they are worth persevering. As an audiophile I will never be truly satisified, but I think I will be happy when I sort out this bass issue. Right now it's a bit distracting, but I'm still enjoying the M-Pros (even as I write this). My system still gets me out of bed everyday. I think what you're mostly hearing from me is frustration that I haven't gotten these to sing the way that others have.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting. I remember reading one of the members here write he loved the Magico Q7s with Zanden monos...i dont know how difficult it would be to drive the big Ms (perhaps easier than Q7s?)...but i do recall this member saying the sound was sublime, but admittedly the bass had been noticeably tighter with a SS amp.

100% faster, tighter, more authoritative bass with SS. Makes me happy! :D

number95

May 14, 2014
100% faster, tighter, more authoritative bass with SS. Makes me happy! :D

Then perhaps one may claim 100% better articulation, smoother decay with tubes :))

Let us go back to topic, Q7 mkii ;-)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I personally think CAT would be a perfect match for the Q7 or probably just about any magico except the Q 5 which is supposed to be very hard to control .
The CAT is fast and has basscontroll of the best SS amps , i heard the Q7 on zanden and that was great but i think those woofers would benefit of more control then the 9600 gave them

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing