First trials of active horn speaker

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What Beyma did was marry the Ti diaphragm with a Mylar surround to reduce breakup. The highs are quite pure and smooth as a result. Radian does the same with their Aluminum diaphragms.

That makes sense! Most of the "noise and hash" is from the surround. The 435Be and Al, 2435 and 2431's also use a mylar surround and it works.

Rob :)

Cycling Nut

Jan 20, 2021
I've used a number of horns from A-7, tractrix and other pro hro horns. Materials matter but I think the geometry matters more (CD, exponential, elliptical, etc). Even if you use the best material for a horn and it still has honk or echoes from the geometry, it'll sound sub optimal.
Using a round 10" oblate spheroid waveguide has given me the best results for a much, much reduced horn sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I've used a number of horns from A-7, tractrix and other pro hro horns. Materials matter but I think the geometry matters more (CD, exponential, elliptical, etc). Even if you use the best material for a horn and it still has honk or echoes from the geometry, it'll sound sub optimal.
Using a round 10" oblate spheroid waveguide has given me the best results for a much, much reduced horn sound.
Agree that the geometry of the horn is most important but hearing the same design with different materials is quite telling as well.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
You should buy what Roy Gregory likes and just link to his reviews to justify
Really !…. As far as I am aware Gregory has yet to critically review or even mention the Symphonia horn transducers in which I have invested my money where my mouth is … unlike yourself ! … Further more I feel no need for justification of my equipment of choice .

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

Waveguide and not a Horn ...!

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
They do, not all but many. It has more to do with the horn design but materials play a role and you know this. Why do you think people are using the Klug WOODEN multi-cellular horns as a replacement for the old metal ones? They sound much smoother.

I have been telling no lies so there is no worries about consistency…your trolling, however, is very consistent…

Are there wooden vintage Horns ? Never seen one all i have ever seen or bought were steel ..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing