First tube gear- Is a 300b amp a good place to start?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There are artisan American SET amplifiers that are very affordable as well. Having spent, like you, much of my life listening to megabuck solid state and tube amplifiers that cater to the whims of mass market audio rags like Stereophile and TAS, I’m now in my early 60s blissfully exploring the “underworld“ of American SET amplifiers. My favorite is the Oliver Sayes 421a amplifier, based on the Western Electric 421a tube that powers both channels with a single tube at around 3 watts. Half the power of a 300B, but you only need one for both channels. Thankfully, NOS WE 421a tubes are still relatively affordable. To my ears, it’s much superior to the much vaunted WE 300B, of which I own the Cary 300B SET that runs on one WE 300B tube per channel. On my Klipsch La Scala horns, my first foray into horn loudspeakers after 35 years of owning just about every other type of loudspeaker technology, I find the 421a far superior. I got mine used on AudioMart for around $1500, I think.

So, there are fabulous bargains in the American SET underworld, if you are willing to ignore the mass market audio rags that live by advertising. Look at the many wonderful amplifiers reviewed in glow-in-the-dark-audio website. Most will never ever be reviewed by the mass market rags. Yet here is where you’ll find true American greatness, most made by audio artisans in their homes or garages.

Here‘s my Oliver Sayes 421a SET. A true classic.

View attachment 105389
I had La Scalas in college…what a party speaker!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I recently bought a Willsenton R300 B tube amp. It is the first tube amp I've ever owned. I'm 73, and all I can say is "WHY did I wait so long???" Well, money, of course. But now that Chinese manufacturers are doing such phenomenal work (for the most part), and have priced their products far less than other amp manufacturers, I am able to get the very "best" sound from my Martin Logan Motion 40i speakers (92db/sensitivity; 4 ohms). And that is some very fine sound...like the sound of music! (lol). Martin Logan felt that the 8 watt R300, would work fine with this amp. Yet China Hi-Fi- underestimated their amp, and suggested I try a more powerful & expensive option. Go figure...
Congrats on trying tubes. A friend of mine just got the Wilsenten EL34 based push pull amp. It sounds also quite nice but perhaps a bit on the “romantic “ side. I tend to go with higher power SETs like 813 and GM70 output tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing