Fixed Placement, Fixed Sound

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Speaker placement is paramount, but is it ever left to be fixed and never move?

Fractions of an inch can change things radically from my experience.

I have moved speakers matching changes related mainly to power changes.

How many others have moved their speakers when it comes to change?

Reactions: MadFloyd

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Speaker placement is critical. After changes to my system I usually re-examine speaker placement. It’s all about finding the right balance for your subjective preference. Cables, power cords, cartridges, they can all slightly change total balance and so I often adjust with speaker placement. As you say, tiny changes in position can make a difference. It helps to have a reference and specific goal in mind.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Speaker position is critical, but I do not re-adjust it for compensating recordings or equipment choice. I usually carry it with the most "neutral" system I own - the QUAD 606 amplifier and the DCS Vivaldi using all Mogami cabling. Then forget about it for a long time - probably until I want to listen to another speaker in the room.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am sure speaker placement is important given how many threads we have running on the topic concurrently

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I just went through a speaker adjustment. Maybe 2 cm forward and 1 cm out. Nice adjustment to tonal balance and separation of instruments. Sometimes we need a little adjustment to reconnect. .

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I fiddled with mine today and the blur I have is gone.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I recently went through a two step change in speaker placement and have the best sound I have ever had. Movement towards each other and about 1/4” more toe-in.

Speaker placement is everything relative to your listening position.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Speaker placement is everything relative to your listening position.
And those two relative to the room ;)
That makes a LOT of variables for setting up a system in a given room :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing