FMC -- Gigafoil -- EtherRegen Question

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I've just run 100' of fiber, with FMC's at either end, from utility room to audio room. The plan is to use the fiber instead of the existing long run of ethernet.

My question is: would it make theoretical sense to place my Gigafoil in the ethernet run between the FMC and the EtherRegen switch?

As the Gigafoil is designed to filter EMI carried by ethernet , my thought is that perhaps it would serve to filter EMI produced by the FMC and traveling through the ethernet cable to the EtherRegen (which also filters EMI.

So, in essence, does it make sense to add another fiber optic filters between the two that are already there?

Last edited:

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
I've just run 100' of fiber, with FMC's at either end, from utility room to audio room. The plan is to use the fiber instead of the existing long run of ethernet.

My question is: would it make theoretical sense to place my Gigafoil in the ethernet run between the FMC and the EtherRegen switch?

As the Gigafoil is designed to filter EMI carried by ethernet , my thought is that perhaps it would serve to filter EMI produced by the FMC and traveling through the ethernet cable to the EtherRegen (which also filters EMI.

So, in essence, does it make sense to add another fiber optic filters between the two that are already there?

As I understand, the Gigafoil if an E-O-E Ethernet to optical to ethernet converter, which is essentially what the Media converters are doing on each end of the fiber.

I expect that a LPS on the media converters will do the same job as the gigafoil and any residual EMI would be cleaned by the ER.

Maybe also just put the fiber directly into the ER and avoid the FMC on the ER side of the fiber run.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing