Focal Top of the Line Speakers a Decade Old Now. New ones coming out? Or has Focal abandoned the Uber High End?

caesar

May 30, 2010
20 years ago Focal JMlab Grand Utopias were considered one of the world's best... Yet 20 years later, Focal has not released a flagship speaker for nearly a decade...

Focal has instead focused on cutesy, colorful speakers in the $20-$30K range. What's going on? Have they given up on the high end?

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks. Seems like the same platform, though. And they are not getting the publicity buzz like Wilson or Magico.

Or like they did with the JM Lab Utopias 20 years ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Focal is not alone, many are gone, or they re-brand themselves with new cabinet makers and names.

But those are valid questions, and easy to answer...just follow the money leaders. ...The advertisers, the cabinet makers using computer data and NASA aerospace materials.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks. Seems like the same platform, though. And they are not getting the publicity buzz like Wilson or Magico.

Or like they did with the JM Lab Utopias 20 years ago.

I have Focal Grande Utopia EM about 5 years now. Me and My audiophile friends couldn’t understand the enormous buzz about Magico speakers in U S A when they appears on shows here I Europe. The always sounds underwhelming and no comparison to my Focal.
For the first time on recent Stockholm Hifi show the Magic q7/ ch amps/ Vivaldi sound good.

Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing