Fogzometer users were do you connect/ get signal to adjust azimuth?

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi guys,

When using your Fogzometer, were do you connect it? Do you connect it to the Phono interconnect coming from your tonearm? Do you get the signal from the main out of your full function preamp? If you have a separate linestage & phono stage were do you get the signal for your Fogzometer? Not using a Fogzometer others get their signal from the amplifier speaker output but hard to do if your doing it alone . Any advantage/ disadvantage?

Thanks in advance ,

Tdh888

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I plug my tone arm cable directly into the foz. More accurate than using the preamp output, imo.

Hi Rockitman,

Thanks for your reply .I usually connect the Fogzometer to my linestage or at the main out of my full function preamp to lessen the variables. Because I was thinking if you got the azimuth right at the phono cable / tonearm , what happens when the signal enters your preamp , phonostage going down to the linestage. Others say to get it from the speaker out put terminal of the power amp ( Fogzometer cant be used) using an oscilloscope or DVOM but I don't know how & it's hard to do by yourself. I hoping to hear some more suggestions from are fellow members .

Tdh888

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
tdh888,

I do it exactly as you with the Fozgometer. Since the signal is going to go through different gear and cables anyway, why not measure it at the end tip? The speaker out thing was how it was done before the Fozgometer existed :)

One thing: it is important to routinely calibrate your Fozgometer: Fozgometer Testing and Calibration Procedure

cheers,
alex

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
tdh888,

I do it exactly as you with the Fozgometer. Since the signal is going to go through different gear and cables anyway, why not measure it at the end tip? The speaker out thing was how it was done before the Fozgometer existed :)

One thing: it is important to routinely calibrate your Fozgometer: Fozgometer Testing and Calibration Procedure

cheers,
alex

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for the reply . I also posted this in another forum . They're opinion regarding my practice of connecting the Fogzometer to the linestage is that it may cause unusual wear tear for the stylus because the cartridge is compensating for the short comings of one's electronics . Which I think is a valid reason. But the question is would your azimuth optimized for your system?

tdh888

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I have done both.....but I stick with direct from tonearm. I do check it from my preamp and the readings are almost identical, so tells me the preamp is calibrated very well on output by channel.
So I am very comfortable the azimuth is exact and stylus wear is optimal.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I would never adjust my cartridge in a way that compensates for problems downstream in the chain. So however you do it (Fozgometer, scope, other), I say do it as close to the cart as possible. With Fozgometer, it's sensitive enough to measure the signal going in to your phono stage. Some lower priced scopes will need a boost, so I use a scope and a SUT. This isn't to say, measuring the rest of your chain should be forsaken. Just that your cartridge alignment should be geometrically as accurate as possible, and that won't necessarily be the case when there are other components adding variables to the equation.

Reactions: Catcher10

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing