Forget it Jake, it's Audiophile

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Picking up on a post from David (@ddk) in the thread The language of Reproduction and language of Music. The mini-context being records and record quality.

Coming back to the OP what does the term "audiophile label" or "audiophile recording" really mean to people?

For me both terms mean hifi, fake and junk no different from dark backgrounds and pinpoint imaging stuff.

Of course there's my all time favorite term, "audiophile rated xyz" which automatically translates to buyer beware!

Allow me to go broader. Per David's examples above, 'audiophile' is used as an adjective. It can also be used as a noun: "Leon says he is an audiophile but he uses Mcintosh amps."

To me, 'audiophile' in its pure form, that is in terms of the word's derivation (audio+phile), means someone who loves sound. While music is sound I think it is a matter of interpretation whether an audiophile by definition loves music. I don't conflate the term 'music' with the term 'sound'.

Wikipedia claims an audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Of interest is its statement An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics. It goes on to mention "audiophile values" as seen to be antithetical to the growing popularity of more convenient but lower quality music, especially lossy digital file types like MP3, lower definition streaming services, and inexpensive headphones.

I skimmed for examples of usage on the Web (go ogle). I used search at the stereophile and TAS sites. Stereophile 755 pages of search results for the word, TAS showed 168 pages. I searched at vendor sites musicdirect and acousticsounds - not that many instances with the vast majority of the word's appearance associated to albums, both vinyl and disc.

I searched WBF posts (~196) and WBF titles (~210), without accounting for overlap. Everything from audiophile electrician, audiophile hearing aids, audiophile switches, audiophile culture, audiophile cables (lots of those), to audiophile people and audiophile spirituality.

The word is out there.

When no one is looking, do you think of yourself as an audiophile?

When do you apply the audiophile word as an adjective? For example, why 'audiophile cable' rather than simply 'cable'? Are there any objective criteria?

Is 'audiophile' just a marketing term to appeal to people who think of themselves as audiophiles? It's not just a thing - it's an audiophile thing!

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I think the term “audiophile” is more related to pleasing, enjoyable sound than being faithful to real instrument or re-reproduction of real sound. it’s nice to listen a jazz trio in a jazz club at very high, realistic sound levels. it’s enjoyable for a certain period of time cause you’re in the mood, having good time with your friends and possibly drinking fine drinks. When you achieve the same sound at same sound levels and 4-6 hours a day, everyday in your home you may be annoyed or feel tortured cause people want peace of mind at their home. Maybe you want the same enjoyment but at a smaller level that you can enjoy everyday for a long period of time. IMHO audio hobby is like making bonsai, looks like a real tree but a smaller model.
since the term audiophile is not related with faithful reproduction of music manufacturers are abusing it to make more money by advertising audiophile products instead of just products. it means an audiophile cable is more pleasing than just a cable. I don’t know what it means actually.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
As strange as it is to say, someone doesn't need to love music to be an audiophile. The opposite is also true...someone doesn't need to be an audiophile to love music.

When I think of the term audiophile I think of someone who is always "tinkering" with their system to get "better" sound. As has been discussed in many of Karen's threads we can debate whether their sound is truly getting better. But we can continue that in another thread. I don't know why but a story a dealer shared with me when I first became aware of hifi world has stuck with me. We were discussing the latest "whatever" and he told me he was talking with one of his customers about it. He said he asked him "Is it about getting the best sound or the thrill of the chase?" The guy responded "definitely about the thrill of the chase." To me this really describes the term "audiophile" as it applies to a person. Perhaps this story stuck in my mind as a warning to be careful and aware of this path and that can lead to non-musical sound.

What comes to my mind if an ad or if someone puts the term "audiophile" as a descriptor of something is that the product is actually being directed toward non-audiophiles. Don't audiophiles already know which cables are "audiophile"?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Picking up on a post from David (@ddk) in the thread The language of Reproduction and language of Music. The mini-context being records and record quality.

Allow me to go broader. Per David's examples above, 'audiophile' is used as an adjective. It can also be used as a noun: "Leon says he is an audiophile but he uses Mcintosh amps."

To me, 'audiophile' in its pure form, that is in terms of the word's derivation (audio+phile), means someone who loves sound. While music is sound I think it is a matter of interpretation whether an audiophile by definition loves music. I don't conflate the term 'music' with the term 'sound'.

Wikipedia claims an audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Of interest is its statement An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics. It goes on to mention "audiophile values" as seen to be antithetical to the growing popularity of more convenient but lower quality music, especially lossy digital file types like MP3, lower definition streaming services, and inexpensive headphones.

I skimmed for examples of usage on the Web (go ogle). I used search at the stereophile and TAS sites. Stereophile 755 pages of search results for the word, TAS showed 168 pages. I searched at vendor sites musicdirect and acousticsounds - not that many instances with the vast majority of the word's appearance associated to albums, both vinyl and disc.

I searched WBF posts (~196) and WBF titles (~210), without accounting for overlap. Everything from audiophile electrician, audiophile hearing aids, audiophile switches, audiophile culture, audiophile cables (lots of those), to audiophile people and audiophile spirituality.

The word is out there.

When do you apply the audiophile word as an adjective? For example, why 'audiophile cable' rather than simply 'cable'? Are there any objective criteria?

Is 'audiophile' just a marketing term to appeal to people who think of themselves as audiophiles? It's not just a thing - it's an audiophile thing!

Place the word “Audiophile” before anything audio in the market place and raise the price by ??? It’s about image, perception and $$$.

IMO the term “Audiophile” is not only misunderstood, but severely misused. Wiki‘s basic definition is pretty good IMO - an audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. When we begin to nuance that basic definition too much IMO we can get into some problems ….

Reactions: Lee and tima

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Audiophile also can be used as a pejorative. Frequently meaning pretensous, gullible hyperbolic or delusional.

Inevitably a term of art becomes so generic it loses its meaning and needs to be replaced. E.g manic_ depressive become bipolar.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
So what kind of audiophile are you?
From the "Natural Sound" camp or the "Real" sound camp?

I, for one, am from the Real sound camp....

Reactions: MadFloyd

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
That would be great if there would be a consensus regarding that statement.
But there isnt

Agreed. So, to address all Timas’ points efficiently and fully the forum needs to begin there. This should be fun …

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually there are 2 disagreements
One is with the statement itself .
The other regarding what is actually high fidelity sound reproduction , it seems to each person/ group of persons it means something different .
The result is a endless stream of (component ) discussions .

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I don't consider myself an audiophile (maybe you folks don't either!), although I was called that once. I like to listen to music, and on days when I can't, it doesn't feel like the day was as good as it might have been.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Audiophile also can be used as a pejorative. Frequently meaning pretensous, gullible hyperbolic or delusional.
Wouldn't that be "audiiphool" ? :)

In my book, an audiophile is simply someone whose hobby is the pursuit of better sound reproduction. Combined with music-while, it becomes a music lover struggling to enjoy the sound of music!;)

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So what kind of audiophile are you?
From the "Natural Sound" camp or the "Real" sound camp?

I, for one, am from the Real sound camp....

Natural Sound refers to what one remembers from hearing acoustic instruments in a concert hall. Natural Sound is both convincing and believable. Real sound can be anything. Distorted sound from my television or telephone is still real sound, but it hardly sounds natural. Any sound coming out of any stereo system is real sound. Some of it is also natural sound.

I think natural sound is a more descriptive term.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Natural Sound refers to what one remembers from hearing acoustic instruments in a concert hall. Natural Sound is both convincing and believable. Real sound can be anything. Distorted sound from my television or telephone is still real sound, but it hardly sounds natural. Any sound coming out of any stereo system is real sound. Some of it is also natural sound.

I think natural sound is a more descriptive term.
Actually it's the other way around.....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The word is out there.

Nice subject, Tim. The word is certainly out there. I consider myself an audiophile because I pursue better sound from my audio system. I suppose I could refer to myself as an audio hobbyist instead. It is not just about music, it is about reproduction and its presentation. I am doing more than simply enjoying music. My goal is to get closer to the experience I have when listening to live acoustic performances while sitting in my own living room. It takes effort, and there is much to learn. Enjoying music is one thing, trying to get a similar experience at home that one has in a concert hall, is something different.

I have used the term as an adjective, as when I described certain power cords as audiophile power cords, or "fancy" power cords. I have also used the term to describe some acoustic treatments when distinguishing panels and tubes from other forms of treatment like rugs, paintings, and furniture. I was ridiculed for using the term "fancy", so I switched to "audiophile", but to me they often mean the same thing, as opposed to basic, industrial alternatives. Same with connectors, outlets, etc. Price, materials, and presentation all factor into "audiophile" grade products.

I do think it is used as a marketing term to elevate the perception of quality and value. Prices go up and expectations change, just like when you attach the term "marine" to anything related to boats though, in this case, there is often a specific meaning having to do with superior function in harsh environments or specific conditions.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The meaning of the term audiophile is just like "best or organic or musical or transparent or enveloping" or all the other overused descriptors in current vogue. Organic seems to be the most popular at this time which, when I see it used, I want to go out and pick some fresh fruit or vegetables.

The street value of my system is worth less than the price that some manufacturers charge for a flippin meter of wire and I consider my self an audiophile. It is, IMHO, totally subjective and means many different things to many people. Hopefully, someone who loves and has a personal emotional experiencej while listening to music suffices, regardless of the hardware being used.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Audiophile also can be used as a pejorative. Frequently meaning pretensous, gullible hyperbolic or delusional. (...)

Yes, but I find bizarre that a forum on whats is the best in stereo sound reproduction seems to find pleasure in focusing mainly on the pejorative aspects, considering that the great majority of this forum are happy audiophiles, who come here to get information, show their experiences and learn about how others carry their hobby in such a diverse environment.

Sorry for me an audiophile label is a small recording label, usually owned by someone talented who loves music and wants to share with others his views on sound reproduction, issuing with high quality the work of artists that are most of the time less known than the big labels. I have a few tens of such recordings, from labels such as Sheffield Labs, Reference Recordings, Wilson Audio, Mappleshead, VTL, Clarity Recordings, even the TapeProject tapes target the audiophile market. I enjoy many recordings of such labels and I am proud of owning them, although they are a minority in my music collection.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What comes to my mind if an ad or if someone puts the term "audiophile" as a descriptor of something is that the product is actually being directed toward non-audiophiles. Don't audiophiles already know which cables are "audiophile"?

Cable's that try to do something to the signal?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sorry for me an audiophile label is a small recording label, usually owned by someone talented who loves music and wants to share with others his views on sound reproduction, issuing with high quality the work of artists that are most of the time less known than the big labels.

I think that is one instance of the word's early use, say 40+ years ago. Weren't many of those less about the 'artists' and focused more on the recording technique or something special about the record. I don't know if the artists were so much unknown by big labels but simply declined as lesser-tier music quality. I suspect the last thing a musician wants is the audiophile label ... think Mannheim Steamroller.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing