Found new open box KL Audio Record Cleaner on sale

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I see it's been discontinued, a great reason to buy it and save money. It says no special cleaners or detergents. Does that mean it uses only distilled water?

I only ask because I wouldn't rule out buying one myself.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I see it's been discontinued, a great reason to buy it and save money. It says no special cleaners or detergents. Does that mean it uses only distilled water?

Yes - it uses only water, preferably pure. However, you cannot clean optimally by smacking vacuum bubbles at records alone - imo surfactant is needed.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
No reason to buy a KL with Degritter around. Had both.
You say you've had both. I'd be interested in your comments on them and why you prefer one over the other.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
You say you've had both. I'd be interested in your comments on them and why you prefer one over the other.

1. Degritter is fully controlled and customizable via updatable firmware
2. KL has no inline filter, Degritter does
3. KL is a hassle to fill and empty, Degritter has removable tank
4. KL has no (reasonable) way to clean the tank
5. KL is much noisier than Degritter
6. Degritter has excellent support, KL was MIA when I emailed them

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I would also go degritter.... I had KL which served me well for 4 years. Then it suddenly stopped functioning. I had a terrible time liaising with the factory in Seoul and despite all efforts they were unable to repair it. So I decided not to spend anymore time, effort and money on it. .....
For what the KL unit costs, I frankly expected it to be more robust.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
owned my KL for 10 years; it's been flawless.

agree it's more for maintaining clean records (or touching up new records), not really for cleaning snarly dirty records. would choose a Loricraft for that, which i've owned i n the past. if i bought a large used collection i'd likely buy another one.

for me it does give me comfort that Peter (designer/builder of KL) is a friend/local person who i know, been to my home multiple times, so if i did have an issue i can get support. but i've never needed it.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
owned my KL for 10 years; it's been flawless.

agree it's more for maintaining clean records (or touching up new records), not really for cleaning snarly dirty records. would choose a Loricraft for that, which i've owned i n the past. if i bought a large used collection i'd likely buy another one.

for me it does give me comfort that Peter (designer/builder of KL) is a friend/local person who i know, been to my home multiple times, so if i did have an issue i can get support. but i've never needed it.
Mine has worked flawlessly as well for over 6 years and I've never had a problem

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing