From Alpha NR PC to Sigma NR?

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I currently have an Alpha NR connected to my power distributor (AQ Niagara 1000). I was thinking of replacing the Alpha NR power cord with a Sigma NR. Has anyone compared the Alpha NR to the Sigma NR?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I have 4 Sigmas NR and two Alpha NR. I regret my first two purchases were the Alpha, the Sigma is clearly better and in my experience on any device, even if it doesn't consume much current.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I have 4 Sigmas NR and two Alpha NR. I regret my first two purchases were the Alpha, the Sigma is clearly better and in my experience on any device, even if it doesn't consume much current.
Agree. To use a Millennial expression: "Like, TOTALLY." As I said in another thread, the Alpha NR didn't knock my socks off. It almost reminds me of the Alpha HC, which is another cord that had me scratching my head: to my ears, it's clean - but clearly analytical compared to other Shunyata cords, no matter what generation they were.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I have 2 x Shunyata Sigma NR's and 2 x Sigma HC's - is it worth replacing the Sigma HC's with some more Sigma NR's?

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
This reply is months late (from when you asked (see above)).
I haven't heard the Sigma HCs. I did own a Sigma Analogue.
Being a Shunyata cheerleader, I am usually doing cartwheels even before I get a
Shunyata component I've ordered. So, if I'm not doing cartwheels after insailling it in the same system, I have to listen to it carefully.
I liked the Sigma Analogue - but I didn't love it. (After a month's worth of listening, of course!)

I DID LOVE the Sigma NR, because I could hear instantly that it brought me closer to what I hear in the concert hall (and it wasn't just the "lower noise,": instruments went deeper into the pppp range (which could be a result of lower noise, I'll admit), but there was more to it than that.

Why not order from Music Direct, which has a 60 day return policy (although these days, I'm not so sure about that: everyone's concerned about the virus) and listen to it and see if you hear a difference? It should be fairly obvious. Or ask Grant or Caelin what the musical improvement is that they hear. Is the pluck of a cello string more "vibrant" or the harmonics on a harp more vivid? In my experience, when the upper midrange/lower treble is improved, the entire frequency range improves. More hall ambience, faster transients (on the technical side), but also more of a sense of "reality" (again, as heard in a concert hall, which is what my training was when I was at Fi and TAS). I don't compare components to components, because...well, I'm listening fora reproduced facsimile of the live musical experience, and there's no substitute for real life. And NO component is perfect.
Not having had the HC, I don't know. Others will have had more experience.

Last edited:

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
I've just ordered a Sigma NR C19 to replace the Alpha NR on my Triton V3. I'm expecting to hear a significant audible improvement considering all my components are plugged into the Triton.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Yes, I was aware. Like a lot of us, we receive the Shunyata announcement emails. Actually I was quite happy using the Alpha NR on the Triton. In the meantime, I'll notice quite a change hopefully with the Sigma NR.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
904E4C14-477A-4A23-9E1D-B4EE048AD936.jpeg
My system is powered by two P20s, each independently providing AC to the L and R channels. Out of curiosity, I swapped the two AC power chords on the R channel (only), to hear whether the Sigma Sigma NR would trump the Audience Au24 SX. Inserting variables into just one channel is a wonderful way to make extremely revealing real-time comparisons using the presence of simultaneous hemispheric “bubbles” of music - the ear/brain is exquisitely sensitive to a variety of aural nuances, especially when presented with comparisons in a side-by-side manner.

D39E787A-A457-4D13-8DFF-8B6C9737BD4C.jpeg
Since my speakers are actively powered by Class D amps, the Sigma NRs have been dedicated to them to reduce the potential noise pollution going back to the P20. But then again, this could be only a myth as the inductive loads in AC cables behave like a low pass filter, making it nearly impossible for high freq to travel parasitically.

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
After the swap, the Shunyata Sigma NR feeding the right P20, and subsequently the Select II DAC’s two mono power bases, and the right JRDG 725s2 amplifier resulted in music which was significantly flatter, grayer, less punchier, and harmonically drier than the left channel whose P20 was fed AC from the wall duplex by the Audience Au24 SX. It was easy to hear, as the hemispheres were side-by-side; the soundstage on the L was deeper, wider, of higher resolution, with faster attack/decay, and more liquid. Given my particular configuration, it was likely the R amplifier which was contributing most to this outcome, as both channels of my DAC were being powered by a constant, the Sigma NR supplied AC. Hence, I will return the power cables back to their original positions. I’m glad to have been using the Audience Au24 SX power cables for my two P20s, and will continue to use the Shunyata Sigma NRs only for my two Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktives.

Last edited:

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
So what exactly is the difference between the new Sigma Reference (v2) NR and previous NR? Other than the $500 increase in price

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
New silver inside copper conductors; revised filters; new carbon fiber shell connectors. One Beta test user reports Alpha V2 cord outperforms Sigma V1 cord.

Reactions: thyname

MRS07

May 11, 2020
I’ve been comparing Sigma NR to Alpha NR / EF cords on my system over last couple of months. System is all analog and I use a Triton V3/Typhon QR with Sigma EF to the wall (Shunyata CopperConn outlet). My phono preamp is an all tube BAT VK-P10SE with SuperPak and my integrated amp is a hybrid BAT VK-3000SE. I initially started out with Alpha EF’s on the preamp and integrated amp since they had tubes and Alpha NRs on the turntable power supply and subwoofers. I swapped out the Alpha EF’s for Sigma NR’s on the phono preamp and integrated amp. After 6 weeks or so, I went to an Alpha NR on the phono preamp and didn’t notice an appreciable difference. I’m going to swap to an Alpha EF to see if there is a difference given the tubes and reports that some users prefer EF cables on tubes.

Out of curiosity, I swapped the Alpha NR on my turntable power supply (Avid Reference SP) for a Sigma NR and was surprised to hear a significant improvement (heard things on familiar recordings that I had not heard before). I went back to the Alpha NR a few times to reconfirm the differences. I was shocked to say the least since the turntable supply isn’t in the signal chain. The Avid Reference SP is a high current power supply. I‘m not sure if the Sigma NR is reducing more noise being contributed by the Avid or if the Avid is benefiting from increased DTCD or if it’s something else. Now am asking myself if I should upgrade the Avid Reference Power Supply to the Reference Mono power supply, but that’s for another discussion group.

Next, I plan to evaluate the Sigma NR vs the Alpha NR and Alpha EF on the BAT integrated amp. I would like to through a Sigma EF in the mix on the integrated amp and would also like to compare Sigma NR’s vs Alpha NRs vs stock cords on my Rel T/9i subs. I can’t seem to find Sigma NR /EF v1 power cords new or used! And I don’t even want to go there on the v2 power cords. I need to settle down for some time and get out of evaluation mode.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing