From ARC ref 10, what’s next. I need recommendations

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
I just sold my ARC ref 10, because the 2 chasis together takes too much space and it void wife approval.

So now I am looking for a preamp that is smaller in size than the ref 10 now. I used to own a VTL 7.5 briefly and I think that size is ok. Although the vtl also has two chasis, at least one of the chasis is smaller/shorter.

Budget is around $15k usd used. Remote is a must for me. Both ss and tube is fine with me.

My amp is wells audio innamorata signature (ss) and my speakers are joseph audio perspectives2. My source is digital (prismsound da1)

Thanks!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have considered parting with my own REF10... in favor of CS Port preamp. But only because of my faith in a dealer in the UK who is enamored with the CS Port line-up. I have their phono stage and it is exceptional. They use the same C3g tube in the line stage as is used in the phono stage—an exceptionally linear, low noise, low distortion tube with 10,000 hours reliability. Price may be above your range however, but if you liked the performance of the REF10 the number of candidates for replacement is not huge. Not to say there are not better pieces of kit.

Reactions: Chop and yuhengdu

wokeuptobose

VIP/Donor
Mar 26, 2021
I don't have a recommendation as I bought your REF 10 and couldn't be happier, good luck with your search. Thank you! Check out your REFs new home! She's very happy to be in Kansas city with all this company to share the room. She's also getting Townsend Isolation Platforms next week.

picture of system.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
picture of system.jpg

Crikey - is that a water buffalo?

wokeuptobose

VIP/Donor
Mar 26, 2021
Sorry, cropped the horns out of the picture. Its a Cape Buffalo that lived along the banks of the Zambezi River in Zimbabwe until we met. Now he hangs out in Kansas City.

Reactions: Lagonda

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congrats on picking up a REF10... I have been delighted with mine for many years. But, as I mentioned above I had considered parting with it, and have decided to do just that. Drum roll... announcing the pending arrival of mighty Pilium “Alexander“ dual chassis pre-amp and “Achilles“ stereo power amp. Big changes this way come.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Conrad Johnson should be a serious contender and will meet your budget / operational requirements.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Conrad Johnson should be a serious contender and will meet your budget / operational requirements.
Agree. I was a CJ preamp owner for 20 consecutive years until last year...culminating in the CJ GAT 2 their current reference which 2nd hand one probably could get for within the OP's budget of 15K. It is so grainless, detailed and effortless.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I was an Ayre KX-R 20 preamplifier owner for about 5 years after it won the in-home demo vs Audio Research Ref6 (did not try it against the Ref10). Really musical with great detail. I still have friends who ask “why did you get rid of that system?” as there really wasn’t anything wrong with it ....

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Congrats on picking up a REF10... I have been delighted with mine for many years. But, as I mentioned above I had considered parting with it, and have decided to do just that. Drum roll... announcing the pending arrival of mighty Pilium “Alexander“ dual chassis pre-amp and “Achilles“ stereo power amp. Big changes this way come.
Bob,
All very interesting and obviously in anticipation of your new RLR outpost in Pac NW. Most interesting for me will be your impressions of going from a "classic" dynamic speaker to the Botticelli panels. Have fun with it and keep us posted!
Marty

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
I don't have a recommendation as I bought your REF 10 and couldn't be happier, good luck with your search. Thank you! Check out your REFs new home! She's very happy to be in Kansas city with all this company to share the room. She's also getting Townsend Isolation Platforms next week.

View attachment 76358
Cool, I am glad you enjoyed it! I am still yet to hunt for my next preamp. : )

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Possibly an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Fully optioned???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing