FS: ASR Basis Exclusiv phono preamplifier

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
This Stereophile “Class A” rated phono preamp has been a part of our record label’s reference system but now its time to find it a new home.

Over the years there have been a number of versions of the Basis Exclusiv as the designer Freidrich Schaefer continued to make improvements. In 2008, the so-called “gold board” version was released, which was at the time a significant upgrade over the original version.

This unit was purchased new in 2008. As you can see from the photos there are two sections - the main unit and the massive battery power supply. They are connected by a 6 ft umbilical.

In 2013 I sent the main until back to Mr. Schaefer for repair. He instructed me not to return the power supply as it was functioning perfectly and he never made any changes to the design. Instead of doing the repair, Mr. Schaefer and I had a meeting of the minds and he sold me a newer updated version. Since its return into our system in 2013, this new (2013 vintage) unit has operated flawlessly.

2-3 years ago I replaced the batteries in the power supply. They are easily obtainable and inexpensive - nothing exotic. You should have a number of years of life before you have to replace these. The power supply is 115v. I’m also including the original heavy duty power cord.

Enough history - here’s the story of the Basis Exclusiv. It will accept two inputs. Its a fully balanced design and likes to see balanced inputs but it will also accept single ended and has XLR and SE output. Via the internal dip switches you can adjust loading, gain, and capacitance. I believe there are over 5,000 possible choices of loading if you want to experiment. The manual is well written and making adjustments is rather easy.

It is a wonderful sounding unit. I compared some well known and similarly priced phono stages against it and nothing knocked it off its perch and so its remained with us.

Its in the original factory cartons and the two pieces are heavy! For US customers I prefer shipping UPS. For international customers we work with Federal Express and UPS.

Condition is excellent with no visible scratches or marks.

I am making it available on WBF at a lower price than what I will list it for on Audiogon in a few days.

Original list price for this version was $12,000. Asking price is $3750.

Phone # is (856) 751-6444 Email is info@lasercd.com or DM

Ken Golden
Laser's Edge
www.lasercd.com

image1.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image2.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing