Furutech DPS-4.1 limited edition power cable vs Nanoflux power NCF

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi all, can somebody shed some light on the main difference between the self-built DPS4.1, terminated with FI-E50 NCF's and the top of the line Nanoflux power NCF. I am reading conflicting reviews...the 4.1 being a warm cable, or a serious contender for a lot of more expensive cables. Is the 4.1 a neutral cable or not? And has someone compared the NCF / non-NCF versions of the Nanoflux power? Thanks, Wim

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I have the NCF and non-NCF Nanoflux versions.

Broadly generalizing, non-NCF has tons of low end heft, warmth, and substance. Less focused high end and fuller, warmer, midrange than the NCF version.

The NCF Nanoflux is more neutral, more focused, and sounds more extended in the frequency extremes. I'd say it's more "audiophile" sounding.

One wouldn't confuse the two. They sound more different than expected. I tried NCF connectors on the non-NCF Nanoflux and it winds up being somewhere in the middle of the two versions.

Reactions: nirodha

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I have the NCF and non-NCF Nanoflux versions.

Broadly generalizing, non-NCF has tons of low end heft, warmth, and substance. Less focused high end and fuller, warmer, midrange than the NCF version.

The NCF Nanoflux is more neutral, more focused, and sounds more extended in the frequency extremes. I'd say it's more "audiophile" sounding.

One wouldn't confuse the two. They sound more different than expected. I tried NCF connectors on the non-NCF Nanoflux and it winds up being somewhere in the middle of the two versions.
Thank you! Very clear explanation!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Dave C (Zen Wave Audio) on this forum probably has more experience with the DPS 4.1 and various terminations than most others. That said, he built a few pair for me with simple Furutech Copper FI-11 male ends (terminating into CopperCONN AC wall outet) and gold plated copper FI 28G IEC female ends (terminating into gold plated IEC's on my gear). If you describe what you're looking for, Dave will recommend the appropriate terminations as he is very fond of the NCF line.

Last edited:

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Thank you! Very clear explanation!

Following up, I would add it's not worth replacing the connectors on the non-NCF version with NCF connectors. I still like the NCF Nanoflux and regular Nanoflux better. That's they way they're built and the non-NCF Nanoflux sounds better with the non-NCF terminations, in my opinion. I was experimenting because it's easy to do since the internal wires are spade terminated. It's simple to try if one is inclined to do so.

Also, the NCF version is the better cable due to the added clarity (probably accuracy) of the midrange while preserving the other attributes of the Nanoflux cable. I'd think that the better and more balanced ones system is, the more one would view the NCF Nanoflux as the superior sounding cable.

There were times when I first got the NCF Nanoflux that I felt the midrange might be too forward (because of not being as warm) but that was an issue with my system at the time, I think.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The replacing of the non-NFC for the NFC and still not getting the full NFC-experience is interesting. There must be something special about the top cable's configuration, more then just the NFC connectors. I think the NFC midrange can be a bit too much but I also think this is primarily the case in a setup that is a bit on the bright side itself or the fact that the cable is not fully broken in. I read that these cable take a loooong time to properly break in. In the end it is all about choices. I listened to the Furutech pure power 6 NCF and was totally awed. Choices, choices... going for the pure power 6 ncf and cheaper Furutechs (4.1 with top connectors) or going for a cheaper NCF power block in combination with two top Nanoflux NCFs... Thanks again for your input. Really appreciated!

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Furutech writes that the NCF Nanoflux has "Neo-damper – Furutech's highly effective vibration damping material incorporated in cable build - only found in NanoFlux NCF power cord."

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Hello,
so far I have only read at WBF, but the topics Furutech Nanoflux NCF & Nanoflux & DPS 4.1. i have not yet found this combination in a German forum.
There is enough time & interest and so I was able to listen to thousands of hours of music in the last three years and compare my little audio combination with 3 Nanoflux NCF, 3 x DPS 4.1. mostly combined with FI 50 NCF and 1 x Nanoflux (many other PCs also played a role).
I heard and learned:
+ Power cable impressions cannot be transferred 1 to 1 to another system (we are a small club here with cable enthusiasts)
+ Power cable experience cannot be transferred 1 to 1 in your own system
+ The best power cord is the right fitting power cord independent of $ / Euros.!
+ and finally: expect the unexpected

The user RnRmf has already described and the following occurs to me ...

…..Broadly generalizing, non-NCF has tons of low end heft, warmth, and substance. Less focused high end and fuller, warmer, midrange than the NCF version. = YES 100%

…The NCF Nanoflux is more neutral, more focused, and sounds more extended in the frequency extremes. I'd say it's more "audiophile" sounding. = YES 100%
…One wouldn't confuse the two. They sound more different than expected. = YES 100%
….. I tried NCF connectors on the non-NCF Nanoflux and it winds up being somewhere in the middle of the two versions. = My impression is that it remains a lot more of a nanoflux

….. The replacing of the non-NFC for the NFC and still not getting the full NFC-experience is interesting.= Yes, that was also very interesting for me, because the individual standard of the Nanoflux NCF cannot be achieved.

The DPS 4.1. from my impressions cannot be compared with both Nanoflux, the DPS 4.1. provides its own standard with the heading: direct.
Knowing and comparing all three versions makes sense, as they deliver individually.
The combination of my audio components (including all cables) is now complete and it delivers fine-grained, but also very sensitive (curse and blessing) to the different quality fluctuations of the music productions. Thus the DAC receives approx. 90% the Nanoflux NCF and 10% the DPS 4.1., both then deliver their own standard.
I am not writing in my mother tongue now, so sorry if anything reads confused.

Rainer wishes you pleasant hours in front of your loudspeaker

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hello,
so far I have only read at WBF, but the topics Furutech Nanoflux NCF & Nanoflux & DPS 4.1. i have not yet found this combination in a German forum.
There is enough time & interest and so I was able to listen to thousands of hours of music in the last three years and compare my little audio combination with 3 Nanoflux NCF, 3 x DPS 4.1. mostly combined with FI 50 NCF and 1 x Nanoflux (many other PCs also played a role).
I heard and learned:
+ Power cable impressions cannot be transferred 1 to 1 to another system (we are a small club here with cable enthusiasts)
+ The best power cord is the right fitting power cord independent of $ / Euros.!

…..Broadly generalizing, non-NCF has tons of low end heft, warmth, and substance. Less focused high end and fuller, warmer, midrange than the NCF version. = YES 100%

…The NCF Nanoflux is more neutral, more focused, and sounds more extended in the frequency extremes. I'd say it's more "audiophile" sounding. = YES 100%
…One wouldn't confuse the two. They sound more different than expected. = YES 100%
….. I tried NCF connectors on the non-NCF Nanoflux and it winds up being somewhere in the middle of the two versions. = My impression is that it remains a lot more of a nanoflux

….. The replacing of the non-NFC for the NFC and still not getting the full NFC-experience is interesting.= Yes, that was also very interesting for me, because the individual standard of the Nanoflux NCF cannot be achieved.

The DPS 4.1. from my impressions cannot be compared with both Nanoflux, the DPS 4.1. provides its own standard with the heading: direct.
Knowing and comparing all three versions makes sense, as they deliver individually.
The combination of my audio components (including all cables) is now complete and it delivers fine-grained, but also very sensitive (curse and blessing) to the different quality fluctuations of the music productions. Thus the DAC receives approx. 90% the Nanoflux NCF and 10% the DPS 4.1., both then deliver their own standard.

Thanks Rainer for your excellent input! you also: enjoy our mutual hobby!

Reactions: Pokey77

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave C (Zen Wave Audio) on this forum probably has more experience with the DPS 4.1 and various terminations than most others. That said, he built a few pair for me with simple Furutech Copper FI-11 male ends (terminating into CopperCONN AC wall outet) and gold plated copper FI 28G IEC female ends (terminating into gold plated IEC's on my gear). If you describe what you're looking for, Dave will recommend the appropriate terminations as he is very fond of the NCF line.

Thanks Marty, I have tried the DPS-4 with a variety of connectors but can't compare the results to the premade Furutech nanoflux cable.

The DPS-4 has NCF type material embedded in a sleeve that's placed in between the wiring and shield, IMO this is responsible for it's unique sound, it's very quiet and manages to be quite clear and preserves low level detail very well. However, it does lead to a certain quality of midrange and lower highs, it has a unique "bloom" and warmth/darkness that can be very nice, but it doesn't smear the sound like cables that alter the sound that much typically do. It preserves the layering of the soundstage and the fine detail of instrumental and vocal timbre better than it really should! So for those looking for a cable that's on the warmer/darker side I do think it's an excellent choice.

While I do try to offer some variety in my lineup the DPS leans a little too far to the warm side for me, and it's being replaced by my PCR-11 and PCR-14 UPOCC copper ribbon in teflon power cables, which are a lot closer to neutral but still have a touch of warmth to them. I think some may still prefer the DPS, but the PCR ribbon cables are objectively superior as far as electrical characteristics, the inductance is much lower and the ground is separate from the hot/neutral wires, it rotates around them in the opposite direction instead of being twisted in the same bundle. The ground is also made using UPOCC copper litz wire, so has far less impedance at high frequencies. I do think this makes for a much better cable vs the DPS, but I may be a little biased. ;)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Hello,
I heard and learned:

Could you explain in more detail your statement “The DPS 4.1 cannot be compared with both Nanoflux”
Thank you.
BTW, I’m using DPS 4.1 with FI-46 NCF connectors on my power amps.

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Could you explain in more detail your statement “The DPS 4.1 cannot be compared with both Nanoflux”
Thank you.
BTW, I’m using DPS 4.1 with FI-46 NCF connectors on my power amps.

Hello Maril,
I like to try that, but I don't know if more subtle descriptions will be understandable because I don't write in my mother tongue.
Due to special circumstances I was able to spend hundreds of hours with a power cord or a multiple of it with their combinations and was able to learn:
- Power cords reach component status with me
- The result about material / price ... cannot be assessed in advance and always there: Expect the unexpected.

This is not the case with plugs: The correction via the plug material (gold-plated, palladium, silver, copper, rhodium, NCF ...) can be planned as noted in a table and can be used or the plug change can be dispensed with.
In order to be able to use the individually most advantageous power cord, I have the Nanoflux NCF and DPS 4.1. and others compared with three copies each, such a project then runs for months.

Now specifically about the Nanoflux NCF vs. DPS 4.1 :
The DPS 4.1. delivers quickly and directly! The term - direct - appears again and again in my comments. The sound / the instrument / the effect jumps into the room with me. The DPS is precise, but the term analytical would be an exaggeration. The tones / instruments / effects are provided by the DPS 4.1.“ like in points“, that fits e.g. for live performances. The DPS does this interpretation well if it fits, but there is also another dimension.

The Nanoflux NCF, on the other hand, provides an all-encompassing whole with countless matching individual details on the stage. The „DPS Points“ are also shown in further structures. The tones / effects can flow in a perfect order, this performance is not included in a DPS and here I find the substance difference between the two power cables.

The Nanoflux NCF can do a lot: the right tempo (always), play musically, provide a large stage in 2D and 3D. It provides a healthy groundwork, plays rich and warm and can still play dry (where it fits). It can play sweetly (a term I wouldn't have assigned to a power cord before).

I listen to music for 5 - 8 hours a day and was able to deal with an individual selection and assignment in detail. The Nanoflux NCF is 90% in use with my DAC / Pre (why does a 50 watt consumer love such a thick cable?). For the audio presentation of live performances (German Krautrock, CAN, Hendrix. Cream ...) i prefer the DPS 4.1.
My mono tube power amplifiers play with the thin series cables (Kopp, German industrial cables for 20 $) and couldn't be overtaken by another 10 units (including Nanoflux NCF ...).

The individual selection and assignment of power cables has turned out to be a complete success for me and I would like to suggest that anyone interested in audio try steps in this direction.

My equipment that inspires me every day:

My exit audio tools:
Wall socket: Furutech Rh NCF with
Unique silver solidcore Powercable, Oyaide F / M 1 to
Unique star-wired silver solidcore Powerbar with 3 Rh NCF and 3 G sockets
WSS Silver LAN cable to AVM Router with 12 V BOTW and HMS Suprema G ,
Digital main source: QUBUZ Sublime+ ex AVM Router by WLAN to
Streamer: Auralic G2 with FURUTECH Nanoflux black, fitted w FI 50 NCF Rh
DAC & Pre Linnenberg Telemann w Furutech Nanoflux NCF & alternatively w Furutech DPS 4.1. + FI 50 NCF Rh
Amp: 2 Mono BROCKSIEPER LC 807/75 w Standard Power Cable
Speaker: Intonation Terzian III, Intonation stands

Further Cable:
AudioNote UK Black Pallas Digital
Black Rhodium Cantata (99,97% pure palladium) RCA Analogous
Furutech DSS 4.1. w FT-212 G
Every cable is lifted by elastic band or supported on stretched elastic band, so no direct contact to rack or ground (sockets only)

Rainer wishes you a friendly weekend

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Thank you Rainer,
Your explanation makes perfect sense.
I have been experimenting with different cables, connectors and outlets for at least a year, or longer, and couldn’t agree with you more.
Very little about the performance in one’s individual system can be predicted by just looking at the description of the cable design, materials, etc.
I’ve had completely unpredictable outcomes that do not always correlate lwith the cable construction and price.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Danke Rainer,
very clear description. Just wondered about one thing. "Amp: 2 Mono BROCKSIEPER LC 807/75 w Standard Power Cable". I presume that it has fixed power cables that you cannot change?! Have a nice weekend as wel :)

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Danke Rainer,
very clear description. Just wondered about one thing. "Amp: 2 Mono BROCKSIEPER LC 807/75 w Standard Power Cable". I presume that it has fixed power cables that you cannot change?! Have a nice weekend as wel :)

Good morning Noridha
(european time)
Both Brocksieper LC 807/75 have IEC inlets so that cables can be exchanged easily.
Through learning processes about different power cords I looked for the possibility to find the individual optimum for the 807 and listened extensively to Graditech, Harmonix, HMS, Viablue, Furutech DPS 4.1., Nanoflux NCF, FPS55N and others).
Ultimately, I could not find any further advantage, more suitable embossing or perfecting additional service with these copies, so that the series cables supplied by the manufacturer ($ 20 each) can still be used advantageously.
Saving money - no matter what the cost, worked well here ……. :)

When I visited Mr. Brocksieper (lives only 100 kilometers away) to check the condition of the tubes, I could see that he also used the serial cables for his private reference system. These are industrial goods from the German company Kopp, whereby the IEC connectors achieve a large and tight clamping. I then had other copies made in different lengths so that I could hear them on my components. Then with moderate success, they just didn't fit.
The test area was very interesting for me as it showed me that every audio component should be heard with multiple power cords of different family trees, stories and structures. The effort can be worth it.

PS: My impressions are based on the European Schuko plugs and 230 volts.

Reactions: Pokey77 and nirodha

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Good morning Noridha
(european time)
Both Brocksieper LC 807/75 have IEC inlets so that cables can be exchanged easily.
Through learning processes about different power cords I looked for the possibility to find the individual optimum for the 807 and listened extensively to Graditech, Harmonix, HMS, Viablue, Furutech DPS 4.1., Nanoflux NCF, FPS55N and others).
Ultimately, I could not find any further advantage, more suitable embossing or perfecting additional service with these copies, so that the series cables supplied by the manufacturer ($ 20 each) can still be used advantageously.
Saving money - no matter what the cost, worked well here ……. :)

When I visited Mr. Brocksieper (lives only 100 kilometers away) to check the condition of the tubes, I could see that he also used the serial cables for his private reference system. These are industrial goods from the German company Kopp, whereby the IEC connectors achieve a large and tight clamping. I then had other copies made in different lengths so that I could hear them on my components. Then with moderate success, they just didn't fit.
The test area was very interesting for me as it showed me that every audio component should be heard with multiple power cords of different family trees, stories and structures. The effort can be worth it.

PS: My impressions are based on the European Schuko plugs and 230 volts.

Hi Rainer,
I am Dutch so I also use the Schukos. You have a point about cables and components. It is very tempting to go for broke on all components. And this is probably not possible at all. Again, enjoy the weekend. Tschuss, Wim

Reactions: rpk

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I'm kinda late to the game in this thread but after running into several independent user accounts of how good the Furutech DPS4.1 bulk cable was on several forums I thought I'd give it a try. The fact that Parts Connexion was offering their periodic 25% off everything sale made the experiment more attractive. I bought a meter of the cable and had PCX terminate it with their Connex rhodium plated, carbon shell Furutech-knock-off plugs.

I used the new power cord to replace the 12g B-P-T branded power cord that had come with my recently acquired B-P-T BP2 balanced power conditioner. This balanced power isolation transformer based power conditioner feeds all my front end components. Well color me flabbergasted. I really wasn't sure what to expect but immediately after exchanging cables serveral plainly obvious improvements occurred. The most notable were that soundstage placement and depth became decidely more distinct and some midrange vocal sharpness/sibilance I had been experiencing completely evaporated. Color me sold! I immediately ordered two more identical cables to feed the power distribution strips at the front and rear of my room so the active loudspeakers and subs can enjoy the same benefit.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks Marty, I have tried the DPS-4 with a variety of connectors but can't compare the results to the premade Furutech nanoflux cable.

The DPS-4 has NCF type material embedded in a sleeve that's placed in between the wiring and shield, IMO this is responsible for it's unique sound, it's very quiet and manages to be quite clear and preserves low level detail very well. However, it does lead to a certain quality of midrange and lower highs, it has a unique "bloom" and warmth/darkness that can be very nice, but it doesn't smear the sound like cables that alter the sound that much typically do. It preserves the layering of the soundstage and the fine detail of instrumental and vocal timbre better than it really should! So for those looking for a cable that's on the warmer/darker side I do think it's an excellent choice.

While I do try to offer some variety in my lineup the DPS leans a little too far to the warm side for me, and it's being replaced by my PCR-11 and PCR-14 UPOCC copper ribbon in teflon power cables, which are a lot closer to neutral but still have a touch of warmth to them. I think some may still prefer the DPS, but the PCR ribbon cables are objectively superior as far as electrical characteristics, the inductance is much lower and the ground is separate from the hot/neutral wires, it rotates around them in the opposite direction instead of being twisted in the same bundle. The ground is also made using UPOCC copper litz wire, so has far less impedance at high frequencies. I do think this makes for a much better cable vs the DPS, but I may be a little biased. ;)

Hello Dave,

Do you offer the FI-11 male plug and the FI-28(G) IEC on the DPS 4.1 cable (the "DPS 4.1 Marty Special Edition") as a standard production item?

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
Hallo, I have recently replaced plugs on my non-NCF Furutech Nanoflux power cable with the latest NCF Fi50, so I thought I could share my impressions here as I benefited so much by reading about people's experience earlier on in this thread here. My experience has been very positive. I am surprised with the improvement on installing the NCF plugs versus the non-NCF plugs (admittedly, very old non-NCF plugs, first version of those). I also have an untouched NCF Nanoflux, and this is still a superior cable, but the non-NCF Nanoflux with NCF plugs sounds better to my ear than the original non-NCF Nanoflux. I would say it was totally worth the investment (an opinion which may differ from those expressed earlier in this thread). In comparison to the original non-NCF Nanoflux, the non-NCF Nanoflux cable with NCF Fi50s offers improved resolution (but not as good as in the original NCF cable), a slightly improved soundstage (still not as good as that offered by the original NCF cable) and, most importantly, improved clarity: music impresses more with natural flow, details on the stage. Overall, for me it was worth the investment. But of course, if you were to buy a new non-NCF Nanoflux cable for the price it cost when it was released on the market or the NCF cable for the price it is offered at now, I would definitely choose the NCF Nanoflux. However, when somebody has a very old non-NCF Nanoflux that is worth so much less on the second-hand market, the addition of the NCF plugs could really be worth it. And one more thing: if somebody wants to replace plugs, especially the more upmarket Furutech cables, it is important to know how to do it. Mine were replaced by a Polish forum user who knows how to do it. He is actually a kind of celebrity on Polish forums as the person who knows about Furutech plugs ?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing