Furutech DPS-4.1 limited edition power cable vs Nanoflux power NCF

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hallo, I have recently replaced plugs on my non-NCF Furutech Nanoflux power cable with the latest NCF Fi50, so I thought I could share my impressions here as I benefited so much by reading about people's experience earlier on in this thread here. My experience has been very positive. I am surprised with the improvement on installing the NCF plugs versus the non-NCF plugs (admittedly, very old non-NCF plugs, first version of those). I also have an untouched NCF Nanoflux, and this is still a superior cable, but the non-NCF Nanoflux with NCF plugs sounds better to my ear than the original non-NCF Nanoflux. I would say it was totally worth the investment (an opinion which may differ from those expressed earlier in this thread). In comparison to the original non-NCF Nanoflux, the non-NCF Nanoflux cable with NCF Fi50s offers improved resolution (but not as good as in the original NCF cable), a slightly improved soundstage (still not as good as that offered by the original NCF cable) and, most importantly, improved clarity: music impresses more with natural flow, details on the stage. Overall, for me it was worth the investment. But of course, if you were to buy a new non-NCF Nanoflux cable for the price it cost when it was released on the market or the NCF cable for the price it is offered at now, I would definitely choose the NCF Nanoflux. However, when somebody has a very old non-NCF Nanoflux that is worth so much less on the second-hand market, the addition of the NCF plugs could really be worth it. And one more thing: if somebody wants to replace plugs, especially the more upmarket Furutech cables, it is important to know how to do it. Mine were replaced by a Polish forum user who knows how to do it. He is actually a kind of celebrity on Polish forums as the person who knows about Furutech plugs ?
Is there any link or tutorial on how to do it?
I know Furutech posted videos on youtube on how to do it and it seems there was nothing special to it.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Is there any link or tutorial on how to do it?
I know Furutech posted videos on youtube on how to do it and it seems there was nothing special to it.
If you're simply changing connectors to the NCF version on a Furutech Nanoflux cable, it's as simple as unscrewing one and assembling the NCF in its place. The wires inside the Furutech Nanoflux are terminated with spades. At least that was my experience with my Furutech power cables.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
That's my understanding, I did install some furutech fi 50 before and it was straightforward.

I was just commenting on Piotr:
"And one more thing: if somebody wants to replace plugs, especially the more upmarket Furutech cables, it is important to know how to do it. Mine were replaced by a Polish forum user who knows how to do it. He is actually a kind of celebrity on Polish forums as the person who knows about Furutech plugs "

He made it seems that there was more to it

Reactions: RnRmf

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I was on holiday. As far as I know, it is important to apply correct pressure/force (?) to the clamps holding the cable with the 0.3Nm adjusted force recommended by Furutech. So you need a special tool. I've heard it matters. I know the same applies to wall outlets.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Alchemist_

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
By the way, has anyone heard the new flagship power cord from Furutech? Furutech V1. Price EUR 8,000. It is to beat the current flagship NCF Nanoflux. It is to be produced in a limited number only. The power cord uses Furutech's latest plugs, which are to be presented separately as well.

Attachments

• image_56063.jpg
    image_56063.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image_56064.jpg
    image_56064.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 38

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
By the way, has anyone heard the new flagship power cord from Furutech? Furutech V1. Price EUR 8,000. It is to beat the current flagship NCF Nanoflux. It is to be produced in a limited number only. The power cord uses Furutech's latest plugs, which are to be presented separately as well.
Hello Piotr,
there are additional information about the Project V-1 via the link https://soundrebels.com/furutech-project-v1-english-ver/ If you are interested, just click on it......

Rainer wishes you much anticipation

Reactions: Piotr_905

sheridd2

Jul 12, 2022
Watched the above Power Cable Construction video with interest.
One point that wasn't covered, the video shows the ground wire being joined with the earth wire.
Should this happen at both ends of the cable, i.e. mains plug and IEC, or only the IEC connector, as shown in the video?

sheridd2

Jul 12, 2022
After posting the above query I emailed Furutech and was informed that it was only necessary to do the mains plug end.
My summary was wrong above, it actually was the mains plug that was demonstrated, not the IEC connector.
(I'm in the UK and the US mains plug looks like an IEC to me, that's my excuse.)

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Hello sherridd 2,
I would like to raise an objection to this........

The combination of shielding to earth as suggested in the video is not mandatory and not always advantageous.

For example, the Furutech Top power cables Nanoflux and Nanoflux NCF (I use both) are manufactured by the manufacturer as standard WITHOUT shielding applied to earth on one side.
In order to get to know the effect of the one-sided shielding, I have laid shielding and earth on the outside of both Nanoflux and my DPS 4.1 via additional cables and fitted them with plugs. This makes it possible to compare the result with vs. without shielding applied = plug in / out / in.....
The result is that the version with shielding on one side (please do not do it on both sides, that would be absolutely counterproductive) acts like a dynamic brake and could not achieve a suitable impression with me.
The possible character of a DPS 4.1, for example, is clearly slowed down and the DPS 4.1 does not fully show its audio possibilities.

My suggestion is to make a comparison with and without one-sided shielding and only then decide which version suits you best.

Please also have a look at other forum reports on this topic and, above all, at other mains cable - plug combinations from well-known manufacturers.......
Example 120 from https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...cables-in-your-walls.29938/page-6#post-741225

The comparison with vs. without creates knowledge.

Rainer wishes you much pleasure with your new mains cable.

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
On shielding, it should only be connected at the wall-plug end, not the IEC end. At the wall end it is code to have the ground connected directly to either the metal box housing the receptacle or to a ground wire that is directly connected to the service entrance ground so there is low resistance to the system's common ground. At the IEC end the ground is often isolated and there is no standard for this. If you connect a shield at both ends, for AC power this means it's simply paralleling the ground wire.

IMO shields on PCs are overdone/overused and as @rpk mentioned it can dull dynamics because the shield impinges upon the EMF surrounding the cable. I wrote a bit more in the link in rpk's post.

Reactions: rpk and Argonaut

sheridd2

Jul 12, 2022
I terminated the new power cord using only the live, neutral and earth wires.
It was when I was trying to detemine how long dsp 4.1 power cable took to burn in that I came across this thread and saw the Furutech video on how to wire the mains plug.
I would have had about 50 hours on the cable at that point and now around 70 hours.
As Furutech recommends the ground / earth joining, as per their video, I would be looking at re-doing the power cord in the near future.

sheridd2

Jul 12, 2022
Wow, I've had the pre-amp Furutech DSP 4.1 now, around 120 -130 hours and my system has taken a leap in performance.
The clarity and cleanness of the sound is just amazing.
If it's done this for my stereo I want the same clarity for my home cinema.
I've ordered another two cords, one for my processor and the other for my 5 channel amp.
I expect to put around 100 hours on these before hearing what they can do.
I should get the cables tomorrow and I will need to terminate them with my existing cables NCF connectors.

Last edited:

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
On shielding, it should only be connected at the wall-plug end, not the IEC end. At the wall end it is code to have the ground connected directly to either the metal box housing the receptacle or to a ground wire that is directly connected to the service entrance ground so there is low resistance to the system's common ground. At the IEC end the ground is often isolated and there is no standard for this. If you connect a shield at both ends, for AC power this means it's simply paralleling the ground wire.

IMO shields on PCs are overdone/overused and as @rpk mentioned it can dull dynamics because the shield impinges upon the EMF surrounding the cable. I wrote a bit more in the link in rpk's post.
What are your recommendations with in-wall power cables?
Connect their shielding with ground in the fuse box?
Connect it with nothing at all?

thx for your input!

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...by in-wall cable shielding, do you mean metal conduit? There may be a lack of clarity on terminology here.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What are your recommendations with in-wall power cables?
Connect their shielding with ground in the fuse box?
Connect it with nothing at all?

thx for your input!
What do you mean. I looked hard to find a way to shield a wire in the wall. The issue is the drain. It would have to be a #12. And the inspector would want it terminated on both ends. And he may say the braid/foil is creating thermal build up. Your only legal choice is steel conduit. Or MC cable. But your opening a potential can of worms.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Sorry for the confusion.
There is a 3x 2.5mm cable quite popular with German high end, 220Volt and in wall use.

So … what to do with it’s shielding?

Nicktube

Dec 14, 2021
If you're simply changing connectors to the NCF version on a Furutech Nanoflux cable, it's as simple as unscrewing one and assembling the NCF in its place. The wires inside the Furutech Nanoflux are terminated with spades. At least that was my experience with my Furutech power cables.
I have a DPS-4 demo and I’m quite pleased. Are the spades inside needed? To cut cost a bit. Why don’t screw it directly in the clamps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing