Furutech FI-48 NCF Silver Connectors

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have not decided yet... price is not that much less vs FI-50 so I'm not sure where these would fit in.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have not decided yet... price is not that much less vs FI-50 so I'm not sure where these would fit in.
They are available with three different platings- Gold, Silver and Rhodium
I actually installed Gold version on two of my AC cords, that feed my Lamm ML2 mono blocks, and was wondering how Silver version would compare
I did and still do have some FI-50 NCFs (R) and (G)in the system,
The Silver version of the FI-48 NCF could be much different from Rhodium FI-50 NCF, as well as from the R and G of the FI-46/48 NCF
I haven’t purchased the Silver FI48 yet, would
Like to hear other users impressions first

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
They are available with three different platings- Gold, Silver and Rhodium
I actually installed Gold version on two of my AC cords, that feed my Lamm ML2 mono blocks, and was wondering how Silver version would compare
I did and still do have some FI-50 NCFs (R) and (G)in the system,
The Silver version of the FI-48 NCF could be much different from Rhodium FI-50 NCF, as well as from the R and G of the FI-46/48 NCF
I haven’t purchased the Silver FI48 yet, would
Like to hear other users impressions first

I've tested a multitude of connectors with different platings, and I'm sure the silver plating will indeed sound different vs gold or rhodium, but not better vs FI-50 NCF.

The reason I'd say this is Furutech is very careful to make sure their parts scale with price and position in their lineup. I've never found an instance where Furutech's more expensive parts didn't sound noticeably better vs their lower end lineup. However, it's certainly possible that one may prefer silver or gold vs rhodium.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I've tested a multitude of connectors with different platings, and I'm sure the silver plating will indeed sound different vs gold or rhodium, but not better vs FI-50 NCF.

The reason I'd say this is Furutech is very careful to make sure their parts scale with price and position in their lineup. I've never found an instance where Furutech's more expensive parts didn't sound noticeably better vs their lower end lineup. However, it's certainly possible that one may prefer silver or gold vs rhodium.
Dave,
You probably have the most experience in testing various connectors, platings, etc.
I'm wondering if you could form an opinion on the differences b/w silver, gold and rhodium plated versions of the same exact connector (in this case Furutech FI-46/48 NCF) based on your previous exposure.
I'm fully aware you haven't heard these specific connectors yet.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Dave,
You probably have the most experience in testing various connectors, platings, etc.
I'm wondering if you could form an opinion on the differences b/w silver, gold and rhodium plated versions of the same exact connector (in this case Furutech FI-46/48 NCF) based on your previous exposure.
I'm fully aware you haven't heard these specific connectors yet.

And let's pretend FI-46 and 48 have exactly the same construction, even if they are not- 46 has aluminum housing and 48 is SS

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Is it more apples-to-apples if we compare gold vs rhodium vs NCF AC receptacles? At one point I did just this.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
And let's pretend FI-46 and 48 have exactly the same construction, even if they are not- 46 has aluminum housing and 48 is SS

This is something I'll do at some point, when I have more time... maybe in video format.

In the near future I'll make some vids on various topics, starting with using locking connectors as this is necessary for many folks. I'll cover many other topics like plating, AC power distribution using one or multiple lines, grounding, etc. and I'll post them here, instagram and my own website. I'm working on getting a subforum and an ad banner here. :)

Beyond the fairly obvious conclusions that gold plating sounds warm vs rhodium and silver, the topic gets more subtle and complex. I honestly don't like gold plating for anything anymore. Silver has the corrosion issue, but I have some Xhadow plugs that are supposed to be silver plated yet do not corrode, so they probably are not pure silver. With the Furutech plating I'm not sure, I have never had a silver plated part from Furutech before. I can't sell cables that use parts that corrode and I don't like gold used as a plating, so for me both gold and silver plating are a no-go.

And as far as the FI-48, who is the customer that won't spend $350 on a plug but $250 is just fine? It doesn't make sense to me.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Is it more apples-to-apples if we compare gold vs rhodium vs NCF AC receptacles? At one point I did just this.
I did that too and didn't like GTX D Gold NCF in my system- the bass was too warm for me.
I find a combination of GTX-D (R) NCF and FI-50 Gold NCF to be perfect

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah the gold is definitely warm. I wasn't aware FI-50 Gold NCF existed, but the Rhodium version is excellent to me. Very solid bass foundation without boom or bloom and crisp and clear up top. Overall very well balanced.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Yeah the gold is definitely warm. I wasn't aware FI-50 Gold NCF existed, but the Rhodium version is excellent to me. Very solid bass foundation without boom or bloom and crisp and clear up top. Overall very well balanced.

Gold FI-50 NCF was a limited run distributed by VH audio in the US.
In my system, I like the top end of Gold Fi-50 and 46 NCF more, than Fi-50 (R) NCF

Last edited:

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
It's not NCF. It's FI-50 Gold and the run is now sold out.

There's also no such thing as GTX-D Gold NCF; it's just Gold.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
What specifically does the Gold do that you like better than the FI-50 (R) NCF?

I feel that the Gold has more balanced and natural top end and more engaging midrange
The only shortcoming is less textured bass
I always had a feeling, that R NCF adds something to the treble, that is not completely natural, and on some recordings even irritating.
Gold is certainly more tolerant of the lesser quality recordings

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
It's not NCF. It's FI-50 Gold and the run is now sold out.

There's also no such thing as GTX-D Gold NCF; it's just Gold.

I stand corrected

zacho

Mar 30, 2018
Anyone got their hands on the FI-48 (Ag) NCF? Was thinking of reterminating my Furutech S55N from the cheap Rhodium connectors from partsconnexion to either the FI-48 (Ag) NCF or the FI-48 (R) NCF.

@DaveC I guess I fall into the category where the $100 difference between the FI-48 and FI-50 NCF rhodium counterparts present a significant difference still, especially when compared to the cost of the cable i'm working with.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I can only share a personal experience with FI-46 (Gold) NCF and FI-50 Gold on Oyaide Black Mamba V2 cable, since I've done a lot of comparative listening in the last month, or two.
I'm not sure if one can extrapolate that to FI-48(R) NCF vs FI-50 (R) NCF.What I hear , is FI-46 G is somewhat brighter, than FI-50 counterpart.
When i say "brighter" , I really don't mean anything objectionable, just different.
I also suspect, that a fiberglass body of the FI-50 provides better vibration control, than the metal one of the FI-46/48, or just more damped perhaps.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I bough one NCF 48 silver from a member who was not very fond of it. I don't have a cord to mess with that is worth trying it on now. I do have some raw Furtech S022 power cord. My system does get silver if used in some places. I have used the IEGO 8095 silver in some places. Everything else is Furutech NCF -R 50's on the Obsessions.

Nicktube

Dec 14, 2021
I bough one NCF 48 silver from a member who was not very fond of it. I don't have a cord to mess with that is worth trying it on now. I do have some raw Furtech S022 power cord. My system does get silver if used in some places. I have used the IEGO 8095 silver in some places. Everything else is Furutech NCF -R 50's on the Obsessions.
How would you compare IEGO 8095 silver compared to Furutech NCF R50?

How do you compare NCF 48 AG vs NCF R50?

I find Furutech sounds more hifi like, expressing detail in a less natural way. It’s smooth but to my ears artificial somehow, the same sauce over every track. Where Oyaide and WattGate have a less impressive sound, the music feels more authentic and every track sounds different,.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I should mention almost all of my gear is custom built and has 43 tubes glowing, so you may get different results. When the Furutech ncf 50’s came out they were the perfect match to wake up an all tube system. The visceral impact they presented to the music was perfect and I was able to tube roll to gain that last little bit of midrange I then wanted. I changed every piece of gear with the ncf fl9 iec’s also. Triode wire labs built me some fantastic cables with IEGO 8095 silver ends and I still use them on my ion tweeters to a nice effect. I tried the ncf 48 silver ends and they sent my system the wrong direction. Every piece I tried them on became so dark sounding and boring. I do like what silver imparts to some of my gear, but the IEGO 8095 silver gives me that calmness and isn‘t dark or closed in at all. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Nicktube

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing