FUTTERMAN

JadeGhost

Jul 15, 2021
Hi all, new member with a question. I just "discovered" two FUTTERMAN's which I will be listing. The FUTTERMAN's also came with 33 various tubes and a unit I can't identify. All will be sold together as a Lot. The FUTTERMANS and Tubes were acquired from the estate of a friend who resided in Manhattan long ago and was a world traveler and collector of a host of items, electronics being one of them. Has taken a while to unpack all the boxes. I have listed a variety of high-end vintage GRADO's, Marantz & Nakamichi cassette players, SENNHEISER's, STAX headphones, and much more. All were reported back by the buyers to be in perfect working condition. Audiophiles have been amazed at the excellent condition of these vintage electronics as most systems had never even been used! I personally have no experience with any aspect of vintage electronics or electronics in general, it was just simply obvious with the interest that was generated and what those items were worth.

I have attached one photo each of the FUTTERMAN's and a few of the unidentified "silver" unit. Can someone identify if this is also a FUTTERMAN or.......???

Thank you in advance!

FUTTERMAN-LOT-001.jpg FUTTERMAN-LOT-001.jpg FUTTERMAN-EXTRA-001.jpg FUTTERMAN-EXTRA-003.jpg FUTTERMAN-EXTRA-004.jpg FUTTERMAN-EXTRA-011.jpg

Last edited:

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
Hello,
Unfortunately the Futterman amps have a reputation for letting out the smoke,modern day Atmosphere amps of the OTL concept have taken a huge step foward in regards to reliability.
Nice to see them and GLWS them, but I would be cautious about firing them up without a full technician health check.

Reactions: Lowrider75

JadeGhost

Jul 15, 2021
Hi RussR, thank you for your reply. And no, I would not even attempt to fire them up as I don't have any experience with electronics.

Can you tell me if the "silver" unit is also a FUTTERMAN?? I have no idea what the value of these are but figure knowing what the "silver" unit is would make a difference.

Thanks again!

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
Hi RussR, thank you for your reply. And no, I would not even attempt to fire them up as I don't have any experience with electronics.

Can you tell me if the "silver" unit is also a FUTTERMAN?? I have no idea what the value of these are but figure knowing what the "silver" unit is would make a difference.

Thanks again!
HI JadeGhost,
Sorry, I cannot tell you if the silver unit is a Futterman.The Futterman I heard and saw was way back in the 1980's and there have been a few different people build them NYAL (New York Audio Labs ) was one such but that was later I think than what we are looking at.
Sorry I can't be of further help.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Reactions: RussR

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
These don't look like Futterman-built amps to me.
The unit that has all the miniature tubes has Japanese photo-flash caps in it- something that Futterman didn't use, although they are something that NYAL used. Both units appear to me to be homemade although a nice bit of work compared to the typical DIY unit.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, JadeGhost!

JadeGhost

Jul 15, 2021
HI JadeGhost,
Sorry, I cannot tell you if the silver unit is a Futterman.The Futterman I heard and saw was way back in the 1980's and there have been a few different people build them NYAL (New York Audio Labs ) was one such but that was later I think than what we are looking at.
Sorry I can't be of further help.
Thanks again RussR, appreciate the info :)

JadeGhost

Jul 15, 2021
These don't look like Futterman-built amps to me.
The unit that has all the miniature tubes has Japanese photo-flash caps in it- something that Futterman didn't use, although they are something that NYAL used. Both units appear to me to be homemade although a nice bit of work compared to the typical DIY unit.
Hi Atmasphere, thank you for your reply. The smaller "silver" unit was packed with the "FUTTERMAN's" in boxes labeled as such so was just fishing for a possible id of it. My knowledge of any of this type of stuff is pretty much zero. These came from the estate of a friend who knew Julius when he resided in Manhattan way back when so possible he acquired them directly from him, a handmade/homemade Julius maybe???. Marty collected a massive amount of items, that has taken over a year to go through, with high end electronics being one of them. Most systems he would buy and store away to never look at again :)

Thanks again for the info, appreciate it!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I suspect they are the Futterman circuit. Homemade by Julius isn't out of the question. Since there's no way to really know, if it were me I'd be looking at other actual Futterman examples and compare the construction technique. If they are similar then the origin story might bear some weight.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
One to know would be Jon Seider--I unfortunately have mislaid his contacts--but maybe someone reading this would have them.

Good luck,

BruceD

JadeGhost

Jul 15, 2021
I suspect they are the Futterman circuit. Homemade by Julius isn't out of the question. Since there's no way to really know, if it were me I'd be looking at other actual Futterman examples and compare the construction technique. If they are similar then the origin story might bear some weight.
Thank you for all your help Atmasphere!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing