FYI: Export of Russian Tubes Halted

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While im.not commenting on war or Russian gov its sad to hurt the russian public who soo need to earn .

• Love
Reactions: ddk

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
FYI:

Not an issue for me - only use NOS UK, Holland, and USA tubes.

The statement above is interesting in that it shows most brands of tubes available today are in fact made in the exact same facility in Russia.

Debating Electo-Harmonix vs. Genalex vs. Sovtek vs. Svetlana?

All made at New Sensor in Saratov, Russia.

I wonder if the different brands at least have different designs.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A friend sent a link the other day with Russian influencers cutting up their high end hand bags in protest of sales denied to the Russian people.

Wait till China moves on Taiwan. Then you will see a tube shortage.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Al M.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
If we get into it with China, tubes will be the least of your worries.

There's virtually no consumer product made that doesn't have components made in China within, not to mention vast swaths of the food supply, pharmaceuticals and frankly 99% of all face masks on the market for both the medical field as well as for COVID precautions.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
The statement above is interesting in that it shows most brands of tubes available today are in fact made in the exact same facility in Russia.

Debating Electo-Harmonix vs. Genalex vs. Sovtek vs. Svetlana?

All made at New Sensor in Saratov, Russia.

I wonder if the different brands at least have different designs.
I've only purchased power tubes from New Sensor and they do sound different. For an EL34 amp I've tried EH, Mullard, and Genalex. Their Mullards try to capture the sonics of classic UK tubes (warmth, smooth highs) but don't come close. However, the Genalex GL-77's are excellent, dynamic, open, smooth top-end extension.

Edit: I shouldn't be so critical of the new Mullards. They're fine in some applications where some warmth is needed. But they are Mullard in name only.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing